Real Cost Per Mile Of EV Driving

The less your daytime usage is the more beneficial having the overnight cheap rate is in terms of the point at which it becomes cheaper than staying on a SVR.
We (2 of us) only use about 35kWh per week non EV charging, so only need to feed the car about 15kWh per week (v. approx 60 miles) to be in profit.

As mention by others usage and cost is personal thing based on your rates, driving style and car.
This is my numbers based on my previous car and current local gas rates.

The EV (MG5 LR FL) M/KWH is based on current performance. Obviously as the weather gets warmer that figure will go up.

Charge cost is based on public charging as I cannot have a charger at home (London Flat).

DieselEV
Diesel cost / L
£1.69​
Elec/KWH
£0.30​
M/G
32​
M/KWH
3​
M/L
7​
Cost per mile
£0.24​
Cost per mile
£0.10​

Yes, EV cost per mile for just electrons compared to an ICE that only does 32mpg is a good saving - providing you don’t need to public rapid charge at lot - this can over double the cost. Most analysis will use a higher comparison mpg figure of around 50mpg. That said averaging 3.5+ m/kwh is not too difficult to achieve over a Year. If you can’t charge at home the savings aren’t great at the moment.

Yes, EV cost per mile for just electrons compared to an ICE that only does 32mpg is a good saving - providing you don’t need to public rapid charge at lot - this can over double the cost. Most analysis will use a higher comparison mpg figure of around 50mpg. That said averaging 3.5+ m/kwh is not too difficult to achieve over a Year. If you can’t charge at home the savings aren’t great at the moment.
I agree diesels have come on a lot for economy but my last ICE vehicle was a diesel Toyota Avensis, one of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. Around town which was most of my usage consumption was 30 mpg if I was lucky. On a run 50mpg.
Is 50mpg a fair comparison figure for a modern diesel family car these day in average usage ? Is that what they achieve nowadays around town ?

My last two cars have been Ioniq hybrids . Had both for about 50,000 miles . Both returned about 69 mpg over those miles . I can't charge at home ( double yellow lines ) , so I would say that the EV experience is more expensive for me . There is a Connected Kerb charge point waiting to be commissioned about a 100 yards from my home ,at 35p per Kw . When that is available it may become cheaper or at least break even .

Bonds have lifted to c4.5%
I agree diesels have come on a lot for economy but my last ICE vehicle was a diesel Toyota Avensis, one of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. Around town which was most of my usage consumption was 30 mpg if I was lucky. On a run 50mpg.
Is 50mpg a fair comparison figure for a modern diesel family car these day in average usage ? Is that what they achieve nowadays around town ?
no, I don’t think for most low use cases 50mpg is reasonable. I used to achieve over 50mpg on average when I ran diesels but that was using them for longer journeys. SUV type ICE, in particular since diesel has been demonised and there has been a switch to petrol, are lucky if they can get into the mid-30’s.

On the crappy modern petrol with the expensive low-energy ethanol, my petrol Skoda had declined from 40mpg to about 35mpg average. The gradual introduction of E5, E10, E15 is reducing economy and increasing prices.
I noticed this when it changed to B7 Diesel, that extra bio-diesel made a whole lot of difference and dropped my overall mpg and I noticed my fuel filter benefited from a change more often than I used to do. I used to put a shot of HydraPower Diesel Blaster in every other tank, which helped massively and did see a nominal increase in MPG as it was burning better.

It shouldn't have to be this way though.. just to appease a select few, when making engines and cars more efficient should be the biggest concern over reducing the amount of actual fuel within the fuel, as it's a false economy.

I noticed this when it changed to B7 Diesel, that extra bio-diesel made a whole lot of difference and dropped my overall mpg and I noticed my fuel filter benefited from a change more often than I used to do. I used to put a shot of HydraPower Diesel Blaster in every other tank, which helped massively and did see a nominal increase in MPG as it was burning better.

It shouldn't have to be this way though.. just to appease a select few, when making engines and cars more efficient should be the biggest concern over reducing the amount of actual fuel within the fuel, as it's a false economy.
Quite. Making ethanol from crops is a stupid use of productive land in the first place and it is basically harmful to your engine, reducing lifespan and causing future maintenance problems.

Much better to put the focus on new technologies, alternative energy generation and storage and accelerating the change to EVs rather than keep fiddling with ICE and adding more additives and parts (AdBlue, DPFs, EGRs etc...) that cause more and more problems.

Which supplier is cheaper than octopus go ?
Octopus intelligent and OVO both do one that is slightly cheaper but only available with certain chargers and certain limited cars. Unfortunately doesn't apply to my MG ZS or to my BP Pulse charger.

Bonds have lifted to c4.5%

no, I don’t think for most low use cases 50mpg is reasonable. I used to achieve over 50mpg on average when I ran diesels but that was using them for longer journeys. SUV type ICE, in particular since diesel has been demonised and there has been a switch to petrol, are lucky if they can get into the mid-30’s.
I have run auto diesels for 15 years 1.6 2.0 and 3.0 turbo diesels. In my mainly light urban use overall 1.6 and 2.0 would do around 40mpg and the 3.0 35mpg. All would improve by 10 or more mpg in touring type use. BTW the Mercedes 1.6 claimed an average of 75 mpg! A complete con and joke.

Intelligent Octopus is no good for MG or Podpoint Home charger.

Intelligent Octopus is not suitable for MG or Podpoint Home charger

I have run auto diesels for 15 years 1.6 2.0 and 3.0 turbo diesels. In my mainly light urban use overall 1.6 and 2.0 would do around 40mpg and the 3.0 35mpg. All would improve by 10 or more mpg in touring type use. BTW the Mercedes 1.6 claimed an average of 75 mpg! A complete con and joke.
We had an 09 Seat Ibiza 3 cylinder 1.4 TDI ecomotive for a bit as a second car, claimed MPG was 90mpg or so .. I only ever achieved 70mpg in it with a light right foot, which is still pretty spectacular, and free tax was a bonus. It was right amongst the VAG emissions-cheat-scandal though 😂

EVs are still cheaper when you factor 8n servicing costs. And depreciation is no worse than ice. And the way the environment is going the taxes on oil burners can only go one way. Governments can bury their heads in the sand, and continue to accept bribes from oil companies, but sooner or later your nice shiny new petrol/diesel will be worth nothing.

EVs are still cheaper when you factor 8n servicing costs. And depreciation is no worse than ice. And the way the environment is going the taxes on oil burners can only go one way. Governments can bury their heads in the sand, and continue to accept bribes from oil companies, but sooner or later your nice shiny new petrol/diesel will be worth nothing.
Cheaper than what and in what way? That is the question. New EV’s are still relative to ICE expensive to buy. Also EV servicing in some cases is every 12 months and many ICE every 2 years - there’s not much in it at the moment as unnecessary EV servicing is rife.
If you can’t home charge, public charging is not far off or in some instances more than running an ICE.
It will be some considerable time before ICE cars become worthless - there will be a market for them for some considerable time. EV’s will have road fund licence charges applied in the coming Years, just like ICE.
The total cost of ownership for a new EV is much higher than a new ICE in many cases.

The cost per mile which everyone seems to ignore is depreciation!

Think about it my ZS sold at 3 years old for £10,000 less than I paid for it and I was lucky enough to get not only the £3,500 government grant but matching support of £3,500 discount from MG and it still sold for £10,000 less than I paid after 25,000 miles. That's 40p per mile depreciation on top of the fueling cost.

But that's a matter of timing as last year mine was valued at more than I'd paid for it. It's a bit of a funny old world at the moment for valuing expensive goods, as many are concerned over inflation, energy costs etc and won't be lashing out on less essential stuff until they feel more secure. It's affecting house prices too, in fact plenty of discretionary spending is suffering.

And depreciation always hits cars hardest in the first year or two. it used to be said that a car loses 10% as it's driven off the forecourt.

Intelligent Octopus is no good for MG or Podpoint Home charger.

Intelligent Octopus is not suitable for MG or Podpoint Home charger
I think that's worth repeating :)

Cheaper than what and in what way? That is the question. New EV’s are still relative to ICE expensive to buy. Also EV servicing in some cases is every 12 months and many ICE every 2 years - there’s not much in it at the moment as unnecessary EV servicing is rife.
If you can’t home charge, public charging is not far off or in some instances more than running an ICE.
It will be some considerable time before ICE cars become worthless - there will be a market for them for some considerable time. EV’s will have road fund licence charges applied in the coming Years, just like ICE.
The total cost of ownership for a new EV is much higher than a new ICE in many cases.
I agree EVs are expensive, but has anyone looked at the price of new run of the mill ICE vehicles ?

Ford Puma between 25k and 35k...makes the MG4 look cheap.

I think that's worth repeating :)

I agree EVs are expensive, but has anyone looked at the price of new run of the mill ICE vehicles ?

Ford Puma between 25k and 35k...makes the MG4 look cheap.

This will crash soon part of the issue is new cars are in short supply or delayed, its then inflating the the cost n of used cars and new cars

We were looking at different options as mg is taking so long an be is just not worth it just even for either new or used.

The market for used will start to bottom out eventually then reducing the cost of new cars.

I get covid/ukraine etc but there is an element of price fixing going on for cars at moment not just the manufacturers but dealerships.

Covid and the rapid increase of working from home meant a lot of family's got rid of second cars so there is excess used cars laying around.

Add in low emissions zones expanding there is a market for used cars over the last 5-10 years old. Although most cars can be a old as 2008 played I think.

There is obviously supply chain issues for repairs etc but again I think that this into manufacturers and dealerships probably with govt pushing for no ice cars to maximise what they can from latest models and cars over last 5-10 years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom