Rear Interior lights

Really want to attempt fitting some rear lights that are wired in, rather than battery powered. I’m thinking I could fish some cable in using the opening where the front light fitting is, and also connect in there, so the lights could come on when the front lights do.

Would obviously prefer them to come on when the rear doors open, but think that would involve an awful lot of work.

Might nip into a scrapyard and see if I could buy the rear fittings and wiring from a scrap car and transfer those (even just the wiring and door switch) to the MG.

Won’t be touching it until the weather breaks though, so have plenty of time to work out a potential solution.

Could car puddle lights be positioned/adapted so they light the interior instead of the ground when the doors are opened?

O,OK.
I thought you were "having a go" 👍🤣

You (as you know) need your surfaces scrupulously clean, especially with surfaces that are porous.

The alcohol achieves this and evaporates after a few minutes.

Never failed to bond anything on my cars given the preparation is correct and thorough.

One of the most important steps is the 24 hour wait before applying any sort of load.

View attachment 22868
Living in Northern Ireland its hard to get hold of isopropyl alcohol as its prohibited by most couriers

Living in Northern Ireland its hard to get hold of isopropyl alcohol as its prohibited by most couriers
With anything you buy to "stick" somewhere, they usually come with a little alcohol wipe.

It should be enough to do the job.

Really want to attempt fitting some rear lights that are wired in, rather than battery powered. I’m thinking I could fish some cable in using the opening where the front light fitting is, and also connect in there, so the lights could come on when the front lights do.

Would obviously prefer them to come on when the rear doors open, but think that would involve an awful lot of work.

Might nip into a scrapyard and see if I could buy the rear fittings and wiring from a scrap car and transfer those (even just the wiring and door switch) to the MG.

Won’t be touching it until the weather breaks though, so have plenty of time to work out a potential solution.

I wouldn't bother with a door switch.
Too much work.
I mean how often will a rear seat passenger be alone, and just get in the back without a driver or front seat passenger?

Edit: 28/01/2023 Only realised today that the lights are powered on even if you open a rear door first!
I usually only open the front doors! DOH.
For some bizarre reason I had assumed that because there wasn't a light fitting in the back, nothing would happen when you opened the back doors.

Why oh why, if MG were saving money with one light fitting, did they not mount it centrally in the roof?

Last edited:
And to be honest, is a rear passenger light
really that important. 🤔
Have you tried to find anything in back of a MG4 in the dark? I have and I can not see a thing back there, it's often hard even in daylight with those tinted windows.

This is the first car I had this problem in so some form for light is a priority for me, for now a flashlight does the trick but a permanent solution is needed.

yes, pulling 12v power front front light is easy.
you can search my dashcamera post, I listed the pin out there.
you will need find out the pins to control the light.
or there is another option, buy another front light and install at the rear. all you need is like for like connector to the front light connector.

yes, pulling 12v power front front light is easy.
you can search my dashcamera post, I listed the pin out there.
you will need find out the pins to control the light.
or there is another option, buy another front light and install at the rear. all you need is like for like connector to the front light connector.
Excellent, thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great idea

Ok so after sourcing all the materials I restuck the base of the light using the 3M VHB 5952 holding it for a few minutes in place and leaving it for 48 hours to "adhere". Lets see how long it stays up for this time :)

20240127_201215.jpg

I also had put the replacement bright leds in the front back in April last year so the car is well lit up now :LOL:
20240127_201525.jpg

Is it just me but I don't want / need my car illuminated on the inside to that extent . I am quite happy with the standard bulbs and don't need the back seats illuminated, if anyone did want to get in the back I think they'll find their way in . I much prefer subdued lighting tbh.

Last edited:
Yep, much prefer LED lights, nice bright white light, instead of a yellow light, not particularly bothered about a rear light, but as said, each to there own. 🙂👍

Ok so after sourcing all the materials I restuck the base of the light using the 3M VHB 5952 holding it for a few minutes in place and leaving it for 48 hours to "adhere". Lets see how long it stays up for this time :)

View attachment 23299
I also had put the replacement bright leds in the front back in April last year so the car is well lit up now :LOL:
View attachment 23300
Looks good. 🙂👍

Is it just me but I don't want / need my car illuminated on the inside to that extent . I am quite happy with the standard bulbs and don't need the back seats illuminated, if anyone did want to get in the back I think they'll find their way in . I much prefer subdued lighting tbh.
I think the photo makes it look a bit more floodlit than in reality, but it certainly is a good bit brighter than the original bulbs.

• No risk of falling
  • doesn’t require charging
  • extra usb port
  • Mines a lease car needed something easy to remove
  • Powers on and off with the car (front one stays on for about a minute after the car is locked as the usb ports remain live)

Not so bright that is distracting but it does stay on all the time. Kids are happy with it.

If we need more light we use the flashlight on our phone.

• No risk of falling
  • doesn’t require charging
  • extra usb port
  • Mines a lease car needed something easy to remove
  • Powers on and off with the car (front one stays on for about a minute after the car is locked as the usb ports remain live)

Not so bright that is distracting but it does stay on all the time. Kids are happy with it.

If we need more light we use the flashlight on our phone.

Do you have a link to where you bought them?

Also it doesn't affect android auto, I see you have a wireless dongle for it so I'm assuming not.

Do you have a link to where you bought them?

Also it doesn't affect android auto, I see you have a wireless dongle for it so I'm assuming not.

Wireless Apple carplay in my case 👆, works 100% fine. Charging cables work as well but not sure if the rate is affected by splitting the power… 🤔

UTIZ 4 USB Night Light: Warm LED Illumination, Portable Bedside Plug Lamps with Dual-Colour Temperature, USB-Powered Reading Light for Home Travel & Camping (Warm Light) Brand https://amzn.eu/d/6W5l2KO

I bought both colours will be returning the warm ones. Comes in a pack of 4.

I designed a holder for the larger USB rechargeable touch light on AliExpress. Fits nicely behind the passenger grab handle. More details and the STL file here:

20240218_202432.jpg
20240218_123205.jpg20240218_123137.jpg20240218_113719.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom