• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rear washer stopped working - brake system to be stripped to repair

Jto

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My rear washer water stop a few week ago, taken in to garage today for repair which could not be done by the poor technician who was pulling his hair out. A pipe has come off on the back wall in the engine bay up in the right corner next to the brake servo, from here to the back the pipe runs in the wiring loom and he could get hold of the end that had come off but could not get it to come down to fit the other end. They will need to have the car back to drain the brake system and strip out the servo to repair the pipe, the thinking is that the pipe in the wiring loom was cut short. Still a good car and still very pleased with it.

Hi. Had my HS PHEV about 19 months now, and had exact same problem during really cold spell in December despite screenwash/antifreeze in washer bottle. Front washer worked fine, rear washer just pumped out water behind brake servo in engine bay. Booked into MG dealer where I'd bought the car (had to wait a few weeks as they were busy). Problem fixed by technician. Service report said "Found rear washer pipe had become disconnected behind brake servo. Removed air box and wheel speed indicator to gain access to pipe. Refitted pipe and tested all OK". No mention of removing brake pipes so doubt they did that. No cost as fixed under 7 year warranty. Excellent service from MG dealer.

He could get hold of the pipe but could not get it turn on to the out let it came off said that was not enough play. Whic place did you take yours too.

Took mine back to Glyn Hopkin, St Albans. I'm assuming mine just came apart due to freezing water expanding and pushing a connector apart, but yours may have actually broken the pipe or connector in which case I can imagine there's no play/slack in the pipe to join it back.

My rear washer water stop a few week ago, taken in to garage today for repair which could not be done by the poor technician who was pulling his hair out. A pipe has come off on the back wall in the engine bay up in the right corner next to the brake servo, from here to the back the pipe runs in the wiring loom and he could get hold of the end that had come off but could not get it to come down to fit the other end. They will need to have the car back to drain the brake system and strip out the servo to repair the pipe, the thinking is that the pipe in the wiring loom was cut short. Still a good car and still very pleased with it.
Hi, did you see water on the underside of the car? My rear washer is not working but I can hear the motor spinning but no visible leaks. Thanks in advance.

Yes, water was appearing on ground by front driver's wheel. With a torch, I could see it running down the bulkhead by the brake servo but out of reach behind wiring and brake pipes/servo.

Mine has just failed again. Same problem as last time, water comes out behind brake servo. Probably happened earlier this week during another freezing cold snap, even though washer bottle had lots of screenwash/antifreeze. Seems to be a weak point in the rear washer system (front still OK). Booked into dealer for another fix.

Yes, mine failed as well, booked in to spirit mg in Corby, strip out of servo to get at it, just another issue with this car, not a reliable car, great to drive, poo to own !

Yes, mine failed as well, booked in to spirit mg in Corby, strip out of servo to get at it, just another issue with this car, not a reliable car, great to drive, poo to own !
This is the only thing to go wrong on my car, did they say how they fix it on to stop it coming off again.

No, just a strip down of the servo which was in the way and put it back together. This is a great car let down by many many issues, all small, self correcting but annoying to say the least….

No, just a strip down of the servo which was in the way and put it back together. This is a great car let down by many many issues, all small, self correcting but annoying to say the least….
Thanks
just if not fix properly than could come off again, I point out that when they pick up the car on Monday.

Mine has just failed again. Same problem as last time, water comes out behind brake servo. Probably happened earlier this week during another freezing cold snap, even though washer bottle had lots of screenwash/antifreeze. Seems to be a weak point in the rear washer system (front still OK). Booked into dealer for another fix.
Hi
just got my car back they take off the right angle tube that joined the outlet on the back wall to a one way valve and replaced with a piece of new tubing to take any pressure off it on the wiring loom.

Hi. Had my HS PHEV about 19 months now, and had exact same problem during really cold spell in December despite screenwash/antifreeze in washer bottle. Front washer worked fine, rear washer just pumped out water behind brake servo in engine bay. Booked into MG dealer where I'd bought the car (had to wait a few weeks as they were busy). Problem fixed by technician. Service report said "Found rear washer pipe had become disconnected behind brake servo. Removed air box and wheel speed indicator to gain access to pipe. Refitted pipe and tested all OK". No mention of removing brake pipes so doubt they did that. No cost as fixed under 7 year warranty. Excellent service from MG dealer.
Hi which dealer did you use because mine told me it was not included in the warranty.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom