Recent BMS update

I haven't had any BMS updates on my car.... GOOD OR BAD....do I need to get it done at the 1st Service or is it not necessary?

Check with your dealer - they will cross check your VIN.

Yes sorry you are correct. We are all moving onto the 450v version eventually. I assumed that the question was to check if the current BMS needed changing straight away.

Sounds like MG are trying to prioritise the car’s ( from a VIN list ) that they KNOW have received the “Buggy” software first.
The sooner these cars are updated, the less likely the HV pack will be affected by the “Bug”.
Car’s still running on the factory software with NO BMS problems, will be updated as a mater of course at a later service date I think.
The car’s that are badly affected, are rightfully being given urgent attention by the dealers.

Good summary. Are we sure that all cars running the 455v BMS will get mandatory MG updates to move to the 450v one? I might have missed this - I know that those without issues are not a priority but I’m unclear if the 450v BMS update is going to be applied as a mandatory update across the board on all cars even if they’re without issues.

Sounds like MG are trying to prioritise the car’s ( from a VIN list ) that they KNOW have received the “Buggy” software first.
The sooner these cars are updated, the less likely the HV pack will be affected by the “Bug”.
Car’s still running on the factory software with NO BMS problems, will be updated as a mater of course at a later service date I think.
The car’s that are badly affected, are rightfully being given urgent attention by the dealers.
Isn’t that called a “recall” lol

Good summary. Are we sure that all cars running the 455v BMS will get mandatory MG updates to move to the 450v one? I might have missed this - I know that those without issues are not a priority but I’m unclear if the 450v BMS update is going to be applied as a mandatory update across the board on all cars even if they’re without issues.
Who can ever be certain regarding this! I’d say it’s 99% likely all cars will be updated when they’re in for their service. What software level exactly as we know will be hit and miss!

Just for context I had a BMS update November last year which I believe is the buggy one, 444 Volts after 7KW home charge to 100% and several hours of balancing - range showing 147 in normal. I spoke with my dealer this morning who told me I did not receive the buggy version. I told him the figures above and he told me to run the battery down to empty and then slow charge on the 7KW to see if that rectifies the problem.

Just for context I had a BMS update November last year which I believe is the buggy one, 444 Volts after 7KW home charge to 100% and several hours of balancing - range showing 147 in normal. I spoke with my dealer this morning who told me I did not receive the buggy version. I told him the figures above and he told me to run the battery down to empty and then slow charge on the 7KW to see if that rectifies the problem.
If you do that please let us know the result.

I picked up my car on 23 November and thought I would have the buggy BMS. I have no symptoms and have been assured by the dealer that I am not on the list. I can only think I had an old version of the BMS that was not updated at PDI.

Picked up the car on the 3rd Nov. I only had a problem with the navigation system. After 3 weeks of speaking with the dealer who always assured me that they would call me back and never did. Today I rang and after 30 minutes got a call back from the service department and was informed that I have the bad BMS. Booked in on the 15th for that, nav system and charging unlocked on AC. Not really noticed it as bad as others, but only done 900 miles in 4 months.

So in short I don't think there is a way to tell what version is on your car

This continues to rumble on with varieties of advice and levels of dealer support. In your case 147miles range looks good but voltage looks low for a full charge. My understanding is that you do not need to run down low your battery to equalise the cells. Just take it down to 95% or below and then charge and let it equalise. There’s loads on here as you probably know on this topic. I would certainly consider ask your dealer for the latest January 2021 update if you’re concerned.

It certainly sounds like you’ve got the bad bms.
If you’re not getting near 455v when fully charged then you must have the bad bms.
You only need to run it down to 90% ish and then AC charge to get it to do a balance after it’s charged.
If pretty sure being at 444v out of 455v is too big a difference to just need a normal balance to bring it back up.
I would definitely take it back to the dealer and say fix it, don’t take it back until they’ve either got it to say >453v fully charged, or more likely, until they’ve updated the bms and got it back to saying >448v

I collect my zs from Chorley on 1st March, will it have all updates, including EVCC and BMS?
I got mine from Chorley Burnley last week, I was told all the updates had been done, but it looks like that's not the case. My voltage after a full charge is showing 457v and it's doing a long equalisation after each charge. I believe it should be 450v if the latest BMS update had been done. I'll be speaking to them soon to find out what's going on.

I got mine from Chorley Burnley last week, I was told all the updates had been done, but it looks like that's not the case. My voltage after a full charge is showing 457v and it's doing a long equalisation after each charge. I believe it should be 450v if the latest BMS update had been done. I'll be speaking to them soon to find out what's going on.
Wow I thought Chorley were the one dealer that knew what they were doing.

You have run it down a bit and recharged since getting it? I'm saying that maybe incase it was charged to 455v and then they did the update, so it's not been "cycled"?

Wow I thought Chorley were the one dealer that knew what they were doing.

You have run it down a bit and recharged since getting it? I'm saying that maybe incase it was charged to 455v and then they did the update, so it's not been "cycled"?
Chorley have been great with everything, I've not been in touch about this yet. They definitely gave me the impression that they would sort anything out if needed.

We ran it down to about 35% charge, then charged it at home, it took a long time to equalise and I put this down to being the first full charge, afterwards the voltage was 450v.

We then did some more miles. I have a long trip coming up I put it on charge to get back to 100% from about 80%. Again it took a long time to equalise but the voltage was 457v when completed.

Because of the voltage being 457v, I ran the battery down to 90% by collecting children etc.. and topped the battery back up, again a long equalisation, it's about 3 hours so far and still going. The voltage is back to 457v.

This is making me think the car doesn't have the Jan 2021 BMS but one from summer(?) 2020.

Chorley have been great with everything, I've not been in touch about this yet. They definitely gave me the impression that they would sort anything out if needed.

We ran it down to about 35% charge, then charged it at home, it took a long time to equalise and I put this down to being the first full charge, afterwards the voltage was 450v.

We then did some more miles. I have a long trip coming up I put it on charge to get back to 100% from about 80%. Again it took a long time to equalise but the voltage was 457v when completed.

Because of the voltage being 457v, I ran the battery down to 90% by collecting children etc.. and topped the battery back up, again a long equalisation, it's about 3 hours so far and still going. The voltage is back to 457v.

This is making me think the car doesn't have the Jan 2021 BMS but one from summer(?) 2020.
Hmm, weird it went to 450v the first time.

Give them a call and tell them exactly what you've just said.
They should be able to tell on the computer what it's got installed.
It's possible I guess that the update failed to take correctly, but the computer recorded that it was done. Their system does seem to be a bit pants in that it doesn't seem to perform a check afterwards to ensure all has been updated successfully.

Miles R has stated that ZS EV models leaving the factory will have the latest BMS update that displays a voltage of 448 - 450 volts after a full charge / balance.
So therefore, this leaves me to conclude that when cars are submitted to the dealers for service work, they will also get the same BMS update applied.
This make total sense to me, because eventually ALL cars will be running on the very same software package.
The SA017 HV Fuse Protection update has now been removed from the system I believe.
Maybe it has been superseded by the Jan 15th 2021 update.
There had been reports of a few cars blowing the HV fuse and rendering the car as dead !.
By lowering the HV pack voltage down from the previous 455 volts seen and now down to the new 448 - 450 volts, has this been done for that very reason as well ??????.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom