• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Recent BMS update

This has been covered by @Miles.
It will attempt to balance and balance the battery for so long and then give up until the next balance is attempted.
As the pack imbalance improves, the balance cycle time will reduce in length.
It's not really an answer to my question though. If the balancing algorithm is working then, if possible, let it complete.

Miles said if you’ve got the bad BMS the more you drive and charge the longer it will take to rectify the matter, try and get your car in urgently if you can.
Booked in for the 15th, will try not to drive it too much. Saying that the wife is out at the moment and it will need a charge when she gets back, but I'll not balance it

How long after the update did you start to get that reading? Also what voltage is it showing and do you know how much went into the battery? I feel my battery is only storing around 29-31kwh.
Only about a week ago, which isn't too bad. I haven't done much investigation around voltage etc... just main concern is the range for me. I think the battery only stores around 42.5 kWh.

It's not really an answer to my question though. If the balancing algorithm is working then, if possible, let it complete.
When some of the indivisible cells have become badly out of balance, then these affected cells can take a long time to equal out in the pack over multiple charge / balancing processes.
The more your battery has been affected, the more balance cycles you are likely to require.
No quick over night fix that’s for sure !.
Check out the pod cast for a more detailed explanation of the issues.

Yes. The latest now shows the outside temp at the top of the central display and the range on the display in front of the driver to the left centre. I think it also got rid of the annoying constant bongs and horn beeps. Worth a look.

When some of the indivisible cells have become badly out of balance, then these affected cells can take a long time to equal out in the pack over multiple charge / balancing processes.
The more your battery has been affected, the more balance cycles you are likely to require.
No quick over night fix that’s for sure !.
Check out the pod cast for a more detailed explanation of the issues.
I agree - but the question is why can’t the pack just be left until it’s finished equalising? Why does it cut off at 10hrs and then need multiple attempts? Good question.

I agree - but the question is why can’t the pack just be left until it’s finished equalising? Why does it cut off at 10hrs and then need multiple attempts? Good question.
Just had a thought, did I read that someone said it can only balance so many milliVolts on each balance cycle?
In which case that could be why it stops at some point rather than continuing indefinently until they're all balanced completely.

Have completed another 7KW home charge today, battery SOC was around 93% and its was on charge for 7 hours and 11 minutes this added a further 4.9KWh. My previous figures were:
444 Volts now 446 Volts
Range in Normal was 147 now 152
Seems like I'm getting closer to this 449/450, just might take several balance charges.

View attachment 1669

As you can see, after the newest BMS update, max range i got from my ZS EV is 203. Amazing result. It's worth it i guess. :))

You need to reset your accumulated trip, so that it resets the range algorithm. You must have a very good m/kWh journey stored in the trip for it to give that 203m range.

Resetting is the only way to get a comparison range between cars (I'm not sure if it's even 100% definite for comparison even then).
Make sure everything is off too when you're checking it after a full charge too. I just press the start button with the brake not pressed to get the figures.

FYI as someone else has said, you don't appear to have the comfort 2 software installed, but there's no reason to think that should have any affect on the battery range etc.

Here is my experience of the latest BMS update. Had the dodgy one installed late last year and range dropped considerably. Just about managed 100 mile daily round trip, everything off and sticking to 55 on the motorway. Update released and installed towards end Jan. Have since done 28 full charges and equalisations ( ranging from 6-9 hours). Now at 449v and equalisation now at 3 hours. I expect this to improve in the coming days. Range seems largely back to normal and can have heater on and back to full motorway speed, have not seen the battery empty warning for a while. Hope that helps.

If I’m on a journey I tend to flick into the short range trip now and then to see what I’m achieving during the journey. I then roughly multiply that mpkh figure by 40kwh to sense check the predicted range. So for example if I start with predicted range of 140miles I will need to average at least 3.5mpkh using my 40kw calculation and giving a reasonable buffer. If I check and I’m averaging 3mpkh then I can only expect 120miles. It works for me. I do find the range prediction to be quite accurate and consistent - as long as I don’t dramatically change my driving style or for example travel at motorway speeds when the prediction was mostly based on town work. The predicted range does not drop off at low SOC - for me anyway - and is quite accurate I find.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom