Recommend tyre pressure for ZS SR Trophy?

Maciej

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Currently my tires are around 2.8 bar on the MG app. I am just wondering if pumping it up a bit is good idea or not does it affect m/kwh? What's the max I can have it?

Over inflating the tyres, may increase the efficiency very slightly, but may make the ride a little firmer.
You run the risk of wearing the centre portion of the tyre prematurely as well.
You could be straying away from the manufactures recommended settings, which is not a good idea.
There will be some flexibility made by the manufacture.
These should be posted on a sticker, somewhere on the car.
If you are using the car fully loaded for example, there is usually a tolerance to increase the tyre pressures by a couple of PSI.

Here is the recommended type pressures for the ZS EV Gen2 facelift.

6DFD98AA-9BA2-405B-AFD7-89B23A47B6FA.jpeg

On all tyres it will have written on it the Max pressure but I would not recommend ride would be to hard

From the manual:

385D93B9-9A16-464E-9D27-9C9BD8BF7A8E.jpeg

I run mine 3psi higher than recommended. Not enough to affect tyre wear, but enough to improve range slightly.

[edit]

This report has some good information. It demonstrates how important it is with an EV to always ensure you are not running with low tyre pressures.

Last edited:
Currently my tires are around 2.8 bar on the MG app. I am just wondering if pumping it up a bit is good idea or not does it affect m/kwh? What's the max I can have it?
That's a definite no no use the recommended tyre pressure because a/ safety, b/ you get better economy and c/ too high or too low a pressure wears out the tyres a lot quicker.

That's a definite no no use the recommended tyre pressure because a/ safety, b/ you get better economy and c/ too high or too low a pressure wears out the tyres a lot quicker.

I have run around 3psi above recommended on EVs for several years with no tyre wear issues and always get excellent range that is the same or better then the advertised.

I will check the cross-tyre wear on mine now I have done 8,000 miles and report back.

Out of curiosity, can the TPMS display in the car and the app be switched to other units? Can't see anywhere obvious.

I think you can change measuring units but it's imperial or metric so MPH with psi and KPH with Bar
Saying that my car not a MG it's in Bar no matter what you do

Last edited:
I used to run my Priuses with about 3 or 4 psi extra after keeping an eye on the wear on the tyres as at recommended pressures the edges were showing signs of more wear.
I did this initially with the ZS (gen 1) but saw that the edges of the tyres were making less contact, so I returned them back to recommended and they are now wearing evenly.

Another example of inaccurate recommended tyre pressures, is on many of the RWD BMW’s fitted to the rear of the car.
If you use the factory recommended pressures, then the centre of the tread will wear out a LOT more quickly that the two outside edges of the tyre.
A typical example of the tyre being over inflated.
Dropping the rear tyre pressures by 2 PSI over the recommended settings, will prevent this from happening.
Tyres for these cars are not cheap and will get discarded early if the pressures are not reduced slightly.
Ask me how I know ! 🤣.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom