Recommendations for roof rack on MG5 ev5 (standard range)

chrispaps

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone. My family are planning a road trip soon for the first time in our new MG5 EV. We want to buy a roof rack and have heard that railings now can be used. We have the standard model (not the long range). Could anyone point me to any good roof racks that you would recommend please? And also any advice on load or anything else important. With many thanks! Chris

I believe the Long Range version can take a roof rack but I have not heard that the SR can.

Does the LR version have a different roof or different type of roof railing to the standard version? I thought the only physical differences were battery size and car height?

I think the short range roof rails can take 35kg
I have menabo brio roof bars (£38 eBay) on my long range with a Halfords 420 l roof box (£240)
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• 4528892C-7B9B-4C75-9C8E-0D822DB60083.jpeg
    4528892C-7B9B-4C75-9C8E-0D822DB60083.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 211
  • BC301F51-FBBB-4C3C-9E56-95FBE5C016DE.jpeg
    BC301F51-FBBB-4C3C-9E56-95FBE5C016DE.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 277
Thanks a lot, v helpful. Do you know how much your roof box weighs? And curious how much weight you can get on your roof. Love the white colour BTW. I have the blue colour

35 kg for the short range. If you search the topics you will find Les Burrows helped to force MG to get the necessary certification.
I was speaking to my dealer and He could find no discernable differences between the rails on the SR and LR models.
But we are where we are, 35kg loading for the SR.

That's really helpful thanks. Does that 35kg include the weight of the roof rack and box?

Thanks. Do you have recommendations for any specific rails/box? I'm completely new at all this... Thanks 👍

Thanks. Do you have recommendations for any specific rails/box? I'm completely new at all this... Thanks 👍
The type and cost of rails and roof box will vary massively depending on so many factors, from quietness & type/profile of the bars to capacity & features of the box. The Roofbox Company is a decent starting place with buyers guides and illustrations of different size boxes. Their prices are fair for the quality of items - but you can occasionally find cheaper (from ebay/aldi/Lidl & Halfords) depending on your needs and budget.

Thanks a lot, v helpful. Do you know how much your roof box weighs? And curious how much weight you can get on your roof. Love the white colour BTW. I have the blue colour
Hi
Roof box weight 14kg
Menabo brio roof bars 3.04kg
Hope this helps
I was torn between the blue silver and white for colour choice
But white was the only colour my dealer had in stock otherwise I would have been waiting 8 weeks for next delivery
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If you can wait, you should be able to pick up some pretty decent roof bars from Aldi. Mine were around thirty quid and actually made by Brio, who supported them well when I knocked off an end cap.

There's a thread about it in here somewhere. Have a search on here, probably for "Brio".

And yes, the 35kg is for all items supported by the rails.

The type and cost of rails and roof box will vary massively depending on so many factors, from quietness & type/profile of the bars to capacity & features of the box. The Roofbox Company is a decent starting place with buyers guides and illustrations of different size boxes. Their prices are fair for the quality of items - but you can occasionally find cheaper (from ebay/aldi/Lidl & Halfords) depending on your needs and budget.

Thanks so much! 🙏

Thanks! 120cm right?
Here's the other thread on this forum:

I have just put my MG5 SR in for it's first service, and there were 2 "recalls" on the job sheet.

The first was to put a page in the users manual confirmaing the 35Kg maximum loading for the roof bars.

The second was for the software update to make the brake lights come on when using KERS 3 regenerative braking at speed which would be slowing the car down rapidly enough for the car behind to need to know about it !

I have just put my MG5 SR in for it's first service, and there were 2 "recalls" on the job sheet.

The first was to put a page in the users manual confirmaing the 35Kg maximum loading for the roof bars.

The second was for the software update to make the brake lights come on when using KERS 3 regenerative braking at speed which would be slowing the car down rapidly enough for the car behind to need to know about it !
This is the one for the rails: Recall MG MOTOR R/2021/179 - Vehicle Recall UK

The KERs 3 update isn't here yet, but has ID R/2021/377.

Here's the other thread on this forum:

Thanks for this!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom