Red warning - Slow Charge this Vehicle

And if you have smart meter the charging rate drops right down.

Guys, if equalization is important and if there is An error message "please slow charge,.." , wouldnt there be an indicator for equalization ? Other than flashing of steady MG logo ?

Mine seems to be stating "plse slow charge,..". even though I put granny charger on.

Last edited:
Guys, if equalization is important and if there is An error message "please slow charge,.." , wouldnt there be an indicator for equalization ? Other than flashing of steady MG logo ?

Mine seems to be stating "plse slow charge,..". even though I put granny charger on.
I just put the car on charge for 48 hrs straight and it seems to have sorted it self out now.. no more slow charge message

Makes no difference to the effectiveness of the equalisation whether it’s done on the granny charger or a 7kW one.
I had annual service last week at 4000 miles. Technician said the BMS update was chargeable and there was no need for the Fuse update. Also said that equalisation MUST be done on granny charger every six weeks. I have never used granny charger or rapid chargers. Fully charged on eco mode and with HVAC off my initial reading is 176 miles range. Car was returned having been valeted and front / rear dashcams fitted. (I supplied dashcams and fitting kit). Total cost £126.00. Very happy with FGBarnes. Canterbury.
Confused about Fuse update and BMS, but since no problems or inconvenience I am happy with advice given.

I had annual service last week at 4000 miles. Technician said the BMS update was chargeable and there was no need for the Fuse update. Also said that equalisation MUST be done on granny charger every six weeks. I have never used granny charger or rapid chargers. Fully charged on eco mode and with HVAC off my initial reading is 176 miles range. Car was returned having been valeted and front / rear dashcams fitted. (I supplied dashcams and fitting kit). Total cost £126.00. Very happy with FGBarnes. Canterbury.
Confused about Fuse update and BMS, but since no problems or inconvenience I am happy with advice given.
I would get the fuse update carried out or you might find your car stopping without warning!

I did a lot of research on available chargers in my area and the ones I frequent. I live in a small village so there aren't many users of the PodPoint, so I can leave it on charge until it's full. Tonight I'll be leaving it charging over night so it can balance.
I keep my old ICE car parked up near the charger and then when I charge I take my ICE car home and leave the MG to charge.
I used to spend £120-£150 a month of petrol, now I use about £10 a month and my electricity is free so I'm quids in.
Hell of a plan that !.
Like you style.

Technician said the BMS update was chargeable and there was no need for the Fuse update. Also said that equalisation MUST be done on granny charger every six weeks. I have never used granny charger or rapid chargers.
Incorrect on both accounts here I think.
The latest BMS update ( released 15th Jan 21 ) is NOT a chargeable option to the customer, these are warranty upgrades to deal with issues with the HV pack etc.
The "Comfort 2" update, if you choose to have it, IS a chargeable option though.
Secondly, you CAN balance charge from a wall box or any A/C fast post.
Why ?.
Because prior the car reaching 97 and 98% SOC, the inbuilt charger will allow the full 7.0kw's to be drawn from the wall box / post etc.
When it hits between 97 to 98% SOC, the car will throttle back the charge to 3.6 kw's until it hits 100% SOC.
When this happens, the pack will commence the balancing procedure and the car will reduce the power drawn from the wall box / post back to around 500 to 300 Watts.
When the balance is complete, it returns the wall box to the standby condition with a blue light showing on the front of the unit.
If you use the "Granny" from a low SOC - it is going to take forever to charge and balance.
This is okay if you are not using the car daily, but it makes it very hard to find enough hours in the day to charge and balance when using the "Granny" if you do.
You can not balance from a D/C Rapid charger.
I guess it would be possible to conduct a rapid charge on the way home up to about 80% and then put the car on charge at home to complete the charge and balance I guess ???.

I was under the impression the HV fuse update only applies to a certain range of VIN numbered cars so it may be that he didn't need it.
Indeed, you could be totally correct there.
Question :- Has the HV pack voltage been lowered from 455 down to 450 volts when fully charged, to help protect the HV Fuse ?.
If so, then the latest BMS update released 15th Jan 2021 - MAY supersede the previous update HV Fuse update ????.

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if this is tied to the ongoing BMS thread, but I have just had this warning flash up on the information panel in RED - Slow Charge this Vehicle.

I had 75 and then 70 miles range still showing on Normal on the 2 occasions it lit up.

Is it tied to the BMS issue, and I take it that a Type 2 home charge is a slow charge, for these purposes (as mentioned on last night's podcast?).
Hi, I've been experiencing this problem too so I took the car to the dealer on 1st February for an upgrade. This warning light is still coming on and on Friday the car was losing power when going uphill on a dual carriageway. Had it been a petrol car I would have changed down in gear. Any ideas?

@Sue H
This is interesting. I too seem to notice the light coming on when I am slowing down, particularly when coming to a stop. Apart from one time when I was 100% fully charged, still hooked up to the charger and turned on the windscreen demister, and it came on then.

There's so many queries in this area we hope to cover it off in either tonight's or next week's Podcast.
Hopefully gather some other drivers data and present the information to MG, and have some form of update at some stage.

Personally i would not have bought my ev if i couldn't have had a home charger fitted . you must have felt that the 'free' charges were worth the effort . We all love a free charge but its a safety net to have one at home . Have you a family member who could have one on their home .we will probably all need one at some point.
Yes I would never buy one without a home charger either

There's so many queries in this area we hope to cover it off in either tonight's or next week's Podcast.
Hi @Dave S .
I agree, given the number of problems that both you and other owners are seeing, it definitely deserves some urgent time on the pod cast without any shadow of a doubt.
It is heading towards an urgent status now when some cars are reporting a sudden reduction of motor power on a busy road, when it appears that they still have what looks like plenty of power remaining in the pack ?.
The whole BMS issue is turning into a huge thorn in the side now, for both MG and the poor old owners !.
I think it is totally unfair for Miles to be defending the corner with regards to this subject.
Please don't get me wrong here Dave - I think I speak for everybody when I say that we are ALL very grateful for the information he is able to provide, but given the scale of the frustration and anger felt with some owners, MG themselves should put out an statement to it's ZS EV owners now.

Hi @Dave S .
I agree, given the number of problems that both you and other owners are seeing, it definitely deserves some urgent time on the pod cast without any shadow of a doubt.
It is heading towards an urgent status now when some cars are reporting a sudden reduction of motor power on a busy road, when it appears that they still have what looks like plenty of power remaining in the pack ?.
The whole BMS issue is turning into a huge thorn in the side now, for both MG and the poor old owners !.
I think it is totally unfair for Miles to be defending the corner with regards to this subject.
Please don't get me wrong here Dave - I think I speak for everybody when I say that we are ALL very grateful for the information he is able to provide, but given the scale of the frustration and anger felt with some owners, MG themselves should put out an statement to it's ZS EV owners now.
Completely agree.
I hope Miles doesn't take anything personally, we all understand the position he is in and he is definitely doing his best to help us all, for which we are very grateful. It's time an MG official provided some input.

We can't get rid of ICE cars if only people with off road charging can buy an EV. I think @SCB86 is demonstrating you don't need one.
You only don't need one if there are plenty of public chargers available - free or not... The more EVs in use, the more difficult it will be to find one, so I'd see home charging - even on a granny charger - as an essential, personally.

The issue with having to constantly rapid charge is that it does over time have a detrimental effect on the battery pack. Fast charging obviously takes much longer but is needed at times to equalise the pack. This means having to leave your car on a public fast charger for much longer than you would if rapid charging. There is a challenge without the ability for home charging - but not insurmountable as many on here have demonstrated. It’s also a lot harder to maintain a good battery pack regimen if you rely solely on public chargers. Of course it also depends on how many miles you travel with your EV if it will fit with your lifestyle. A larger battery pack has obvious advantages too if you rely on public chargers.

Guys/Gals,

I have been watching with interest the fixation and worry about charging rates, volts, amps, equalization and I wonder if you all took so much interest in how your ICE Cars worked, I bet you did not.

Faulty software aside, STOP worrying about how you charge your cars for God's sake. Do what I do, plug it in EVERY night no matter what the SOC. I have been doing this since I got into EV's and I have NEVER had ANY Problems with equalization or anything else for that matter so STOP over worrying yourself and USE your home charger and let The BMS do it's job.

I also would not have bought an EV if I could not have had a Home Charger and kudos to those who have done so whilst the Public Charging is shit. And one last thing, range, just plan your route and if you are constantly over reaching your range then I suggest an EV (or the one you bought did not meet your needs) was not for you at the moment.

So plug it in and stay stress free.

Regards

Frank

Secondly, you CAN balance charge from a wall box or any A/C fast post.
Why ?.
Because prior the car reaching 97 and 98% SOC, the inbuilt charger will allow the full 7.0kw's to be drawn from the wall box / post etc.
When it hits between 97 to 98% SOC, the car will throttle back the charge to 3.6 kw's until it hits 100% SOC.
When this happens, the pack will commence the balancing procedure and the car will reduce the power drawn from the wall box / post back to around 500 to 300 Watts.
When the balance is complete, it returns the wall box to the standby condition with a blue light showing on the front of the unit.
Just to visualise your point, here is a screen shot of my recent charge with a clear drop to ~3.6kW and then a 5 hour equalisation at ~300W.

Screenshot_20210106-182952.png

Guys/Gals,

I have been watching with interest the fixation and worry about charging rates, volts, amps, equalization and I wonder if you all took so much interest in how your ICE Cars worked, I bet you did not.

Faulty software aside, STOP worrying about how you charge your cars for God's sake. Do what I do, plug it in EVERY night no matter what the SOC. I have been doing this since I got into EV's and I have NEVER had ANY Problems with equalization or anything else for that matter so STOP over worrying yourself and USE your home charger and let The BMS do it's job.

I also would not have bought an EV if I could not have had a Home Charger and kudos to those who have done so whilst the Public Charging is sh*t. And one last thing, range, just plan your route and if you are constantly over reaching your range then I suggest an EV (or the one you bought did not meet your needs) was not for you at the moment.

Regards

Guys/Gals,

I also would not have bought an EV if I could not have had a Home Charger and kudos to those who have done so whilst the Public Charging is sh*t. And one last thing, range, just plan your route and if you are constantly over reaching your range then I suggest an EV (or the one you bought did not meet your needs) was not for you at the moment.

Regards

Frank

FrAn interesting and rather cllosed view. I’m sure those that have had an update severely affected their cars and are now trying to it sort out may differ. It sounds like you’ve been lucky. These forums are about exchanging and debating, and yes, personally i was the same about ICE cars that I’ve owned and always enjoy finding out more and hearing people’s views.
An interesting and rather closed view. I’m sure those that have had an update severely affected their cars and are now trying to it sort out may differ. It sounds like you’ve been lucky. These forums are about exchanging and debating, and yes, personally i was the same about ICE cars that I’ve owned and always enjoy finding out more and hearing people’s views.

Guys/Gals,

Regards

Frank
My thoughts exactly!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom