Regen braking on cruise control

hallurs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Has anyone else noticed that the regen braking does not seem to work when on cruise control? I have now seen the same thing in two HS PHEVs, so thinking that this might be a common thing.
When in adaptive cruise control, the power does not go below 0 % when the car slows down. If I disengage the cruise control, while not touching the accelerator, then it will instantly go into negative power and you can feel the regen braking working.

It's not a problem, as such. All it means is that I don't like using the cruise control as I like to have the regen braking working 😊
This definately seems like something which could easily be fixed with a firmware update.

This is a design constraint linked to safety. Indeed, only traditional braking allows precise control of deceleration, especially in the case of firm or emergency braking. The complexity of managing regeneration and disc braking would be to the detriment of reliability. SAIC made the simplest and safest decision. Having said that, I wonder how others manage it? At Peugeot, Toyota, Renault, Volkswagen... Any ideas?

Perhaps because the mg5 is a purely electric car, its design makes this easier? In the case of a hybrid car, the complexity of combining two propulsion sources together makes it more complex. But I'm not a car engineer

Yes, but what do you mean by this ? mg 5 and mg ZS ev are electric vehicles ok, But here the topic is about mg HS phev hybrid system

I think this is a general design constraint with brakes itself. Most plug-in and all EV have braking which pushes for max regen before friction brakes come in.
HS Phev brakes however do not. I mentioned this in my original gripe which was sent to MG and they said different design / won't fix

On holiday and left home with 32 ev range, day 2 ev range 0 miles and 0% power.
Now 700 miles later and not using cruise it has not moved off 0miles 0%.
However driving around and playing with screen options I noted ev motor still working at low speed and in conjunction with engine. Overall mpg shows as about 39 which is not great, my wife's Kona MH does about 60mpg on a run, but it is a lighter car.

But you never charge at home the night or at your office ? It's a plug-in hybrid so...
And to really save money, it's up to you to manage the use of electricity by switching for urban or suburban driving in 100% electric mode and letting the engine take over when you're doing suburban or motorway driving....

Yes, you are on holiday. Not on business trip.... Sorry
I meant where you sleep at night while travelling, you never come across a charging point?
What is your fuel consumption?

I managed to gain 2/3 kilometres on a 110 km route between Paris and Chartres with a steep climb, empty battery.

This is a design constraint linked to safety. Indeed, only traditional braking allows precise control of deceleration, especially in the case of firm or emergency braking. The complexity of managing regeneration and disc braking would be to the detriment of reliability. SAIC made the simplest and safest decision. Having said that, I wonder how others manage it? At Peugeot, Toyota, Renault, Volkswagen... Any ideas?
Thanks for your reply, really useful to know!
My sister has a Audi Q5e (PHEV) and that uses the regen braking on adaptive cruise control, so it is possible.
Maybe, as mentioned before, a software update could allow this.
Because of this I very rarely use the adaptive cruise control when cars are in front of me. I would have the cruise control on, but as soon as a car is slowing in front of me, I switch it off and manually control the braking - including regen braking.

Yes, you are on holiday. Not on business trip.... Sorry
I meant where you sleep at night while travelling, you never come across a charging point?
What is your fuel consumption?
Staying at b&b's, or pubs and car parked too far away so would need a very long cable!
Retired so no business trips, so far last week on around 700 miles mpg is 39-40 mpg.

Thanks for your reply, really useful to know!
My sister has a Audi Q5e (PHEV) and that uses the regen braking on adaptive cruise control, so it is possible.
Maybe, as mentioned before, a software update could allow this.
Because of this I very rarely use the adaptive cruise control when cars are in front of me. I would have the cruise control on, but as soon as a car is slowing in front of me, I switch it off and manually control the braking - including regen braking.
Whilst my original question to them was suggesting software update, from my usage, the design of braking system on HS Phev is significantly different from other EVs and PHEVs. The system tends to use both simultaneously and while software can fix many things, it cannot change hardware design.
That said I also switch ACC off when approaching busy areas to force regen rather than using braking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom