Regen on cruisecontrol?

Do you miss the 90mph 3rd lane thrill ? ;)
lol no, now its how long i can get away with blocking progress lol.
Just kidding i move out the way when someones coming faster, it literally costs me nothing to move over.
However I do know its a lovely feeling to cruise around 80 and have near no noise.

Is Adaptive Cruise Control the one where it looks ahead (using cameras/lidar/radar/whatever) and reads the distance from the vehicle in front, speeding up and slowing down as necessary in order to maintain station behind it?

Because if so then yes, the MG5 absolutely doesn't have that, and doesn't have any of the hardware to do it. It just has plain old "set a speed and it'll try to stay there" cruise control.

There are generally 3 types of cruise control. Basic - will hold at a speed but down hills will go over it unless driver intervenes - no braked function. Cruise with brake function - will hold speed and brake car either with regen or brakes or both if needed to keep speed constant - I think this is MG5? Adaptive - will keep a set distance as well as maintain speed. Various degrees of autonomous driving use adaptive cruise with self steering and other fucntions using radar, lasers and cameras MG ZS has MG pilot 🙂

There are generally 3 types of cruise control. Basic - will hold at a speed but down hills will go over it unless driver intervenes - no braked function. Cruise with brake function - will hold speed and brake car either with regen or brakes or both if needed to keep speed constant - I think this is MG5? Adaptive - will keep a set distance as well as maintain speed. Various degrees of autonomous driving use adaptive cruise with self steering and other fucntions using radar, lasers and cameras MG ZS has MG pilot 🙂

As far as I've been able to verify, the MG5 cruise control will brake using regen, but not friction brakes.

In my experience there does not appear to be any discernible regen. Just braking.
The other thing I have noted is that on declines the regen is not as intense as it is on level. Nothing to do with battery soc or temps as far as I can tell. Have others experienced the same

In my experience there does not appear to be any discernible regen. Just braking.
The other thing I have noted is that on declines the regen is not as intense as it is on level. Nothing to do with battery soc or temps as far as I can tell. Have others experienced the same
The ZS has no regen on cruise control - it uses the conventional brakes, which is a shame. It’s a system adopted from the ICE car.

Every adaptive cruise control system uses a long range radar mounted on the front of the car.

Some systems then utilise "sensor fusion"; using cameras, LiDAR and even map data. Cameras provide more info to the cruise control computer; for example if a car is looking likely to move into your lane or indicates to move across. Honda use this to create "predictive" adaptive cruise control and in the above scenario's the car will guess what the driver in the other lane is going to do and then start to slow down to make more room.

Some use LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) which is a laser system to measure the distance to cars and objects in front, however it doesn't have the long distance range of the radar.
LiDAR was mainly used by early autonomous emergency braking systems (AEB) and is still used today on some cars that only have low speed AEB. However LiDAR can't see through rain, fog, dust or snow.

Radar is by far the most popular system and has no real limitations, it's also cheaper than LiDAR.

The ZS has no regen on cruise control - it uses the conventional brakes, which is a shame. It’s a system adopted from the ICE car.
Has anyone put this to MG to see if it could be introduced and included in a future update?
We all want to drive economically and this would be huge if they could work it into the electronics of the ZS EV. We can only ask?

I think it unlikely MG would update the existing model - however I would expect it to be a function of new models when they arrive.

Has anyone put this to MG to see if it could be introduced and included in a future update?
We all want to drive economically and this would be huge if they could work it into the electronics of the ZS EV. We can only ask?
According to Miles it's not possible (see yesterday's podcast). The system was purchased from Bosch and can't be amended....apparently.

Well that makes sense, however I have issue with ‘adapted from ice car’ the standard ZS does NOT have ACC that the ZS EV is based on. The updated car might. So as it isn’t ACC it can’t have been adapted from the original ICE ZS.

Yes it might be a Bosch ACC for an ice car. That is different.

Well that makes sense, however I have issue with ‘adapted from ice car’ the standard ZS does NOT have ACC that the ZS EV is based on. The updated car might. So as it isn’t ACC it can’t have been adapted from the original ICE ZS.

Sure - I stand corrected.

Even the updated ICE ZS isn't sold with ACC.

Hi Cocijo
i just noticed that the MG ZS EV base model does not have Hill Decent control whereas the higher variant gets it(indicated in the attached brochure below).

PFB the brochure for reference
https://mgmotor.eu/storage/images/model/brochure/MG-ZS-EV-brochure.pdf
Page 9->Features->Safety->Hill descent control

Does that mean the lower variant does not detect the decent and appropriately utilize the regen because of this missing feature? Could somehow absence of "Hill Decent control" make it the base version of cruise control and the higher variant the second type.

Just to verify if the higher end does regen down the slope with a set speed but the base variant does not, can we have a check on both the variants - regen when going down a reasonable slope with a set speed.

Are there any owners in the group who can do this test? Need atleast one owner of each type to check.

I could see mixed reviews, but somehow could not figure out the variants they have.
For Ex: Cruise control does use regen!
While i am thinking on a purchase, i am still trying to search owners one of each type who could verify this.
Do not want to saddled with the version that does not do regen.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom