Regen

GOODY

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
What Regen level do you use? I find 3 is really harsh like braking hard. Any tips on when and how to manage it properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Join the club. This EV has has a good few things to learn and get used to, however all part of the character of the car... to a degree. Take time to learn and familiarise yourself with steering wheel button functionality in particular.

A lot of new EVs' have teething issues, the Hyundai Ioniq 6 is one of the most current with overlapping text on the infotainment screen and more. The MG4 has its own quirks

Regen 3 on the MG4 I personally find quite subtle, it does slow you down but not harshly. I have a Trophy with latest patches but infotainment on R30.

Plus, when you approach a speed camera and see it just in time... just taking your foot off of the accelerator and regen immediately slowing you can sometimes make all the difference

Last edited:
Adaptive was the one for me.
Worked so well it baffles me why they didn’t make it the default.
The standard heavy regen level was way too much and led to the brake lights coming on too often.
I’m not interested in one-pedal driving in any EV ( I’ve had four )

That was a question I had been meaning to ask.
At what level of the regeneration (as shown by the negative numbers on the power display) do the brake lights come on?
I've left it as the default level 3 and quite like the feel.

On my test drive, I found Kers level 3 made the car a bit jittery on the accelerator, it drove much smoother on level 2.

I will do, coming form an ICE car I would lift my foot from the accelerator and it would slow down naturally rather than using breaks, i feel there are a few things i need to get used to.
Remember that regen isnt using the brakes at all, it's charging the battery and recouping the energy to slow the vehicle down. The accelerator doesnt have to be used as an on off switch if you gently lift your foot up it will coast just like a petrol car.

Remember that regen isnt using the brakes at all, it's charging the battery and recouping the energy to slow the vehicle down. The accelerator doesnt have to be used as an on off switch if you gently lift your foot up it will coast just like a petrol car.

Using the brakes also recharges the battery (in any EV)
It isn’t exclusive to regen.

Using the brakes also recharges the battery (in any EV)
It isn’t exclusive to regen.
I assume you mean tthe brake pedal rather than the actual brakes, in which case, yes, I agree. For personally I like strong regen and regen all the way to zero speed, no creep. True one pedal driving which I find is easy to do, convenient and very relaxing.

I assume you mean tthe brake pedal rather than the actual brakes, in which case, yes, I agree. For personally I like strong regen and regen all the way to zero speed, no creep. True one pedal driving which I find is easy to do, convenient and very relaxing.

The MG4 doesn’t do one-pedal driving to a stop.
What do you drive?

I don't know how different the driving experience is between the MG4 and the MG ZS Trophy Connect I have been driving for the last few months. However, I have found the regen level 3 pretty easy to drive. It took about 3 hours of driving carefully, experiencing the 3 levels to get used to it. I also initially had the experience of driving like a learner and bouncing the car a few times as I juggled the automatic nature of an EV from the geared ICE car I came from. I had previously driven an ICE automatic in the US and the UK so it wasn't entirely a new thing but its what one is used to and the muscle memory to correct that does take a little time.

I now find the Level 3 regen entirely safe and manageable as well as the savings from not using the battery all the time.

I guess its what makes us more comfortable in one car or another but I will never go back to an ICE vehicle again. They are just rubbish in comparison to modern EV driving.

That was a question I had been meaning to ask.
At what level of the regeneration (as shown by the negative numbers on the power display) do the brake lights come on?
I've left it as the default level 3 and quite like the feel.
I've no idea about what level of regeneration is shown when the brake lights come on, but when you drive at night it's easy to see when they are lighting. I use level 3 all the time and lift off the accelerator gently if I only want a little regen or lift right off if I want stronger regen. The brake lights don't come on with gentle regen but do if I'm slowing more strongly.

I don't know how different the driving experience is between the MG4 and the MG ZS Trophy Connect I have been driving for the last few months. However, I have found the regen level 3 pretty easy to drive. It took about 3 hours of driving carefully, experiencing the 3 levels to get used to it. I also initially had the experience of driving like a learner and bouncing the car a few times as I juggled the automatic nature of an EV from the geared ICE car I came from. I had previously driven an ICE automatic in the US and the UK so it wasn't entirely a new thing but its what one is used to and the muscle memory to correct that does take a little time.

I now find the Level 3 regen entirely safe and manageable as well as the savings from not using the battery all the time.

I guess its what makes us more comfortable in one car or another but I will never go back to an ICE vehicle again. They are just rubbish in comparison to modern EV driving.
From my experience, the 4 and the ZS are similar; if anything, the 4 may have slightly more regen but that may just be me.

I tend to just keep Normal/Regen 3 for day-to-day driving, and only change things if I'm going on a longer trip.

But I agree with @bowfer - why invest in developing adaptive regen and then not make it the default?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back