Regeneration brake lights

An android phone can offer a suite of accelerometers if you rely want to measure deceleration (or acceleration). Try something like this (loads of things to play with, no ads and no in app offers)

If you have a dashcam it will likely be built into that too.

Booked in for this Thursday next week. Thank you to those who pushed this as its not a great feature and needed fixing. Has anyone tried it yet? The cynic in me thinks its strange that a software fix is possible on something that is usually a switch at the pedal but with digital cars who knows. Just hope it isn't just bringing the KERS 3, g force level inside that needed by legislation to active a brake light rather than making the light work.
Well, I guess this all depends on whether the brake lights cone on via a hardware or software controlled relay. Like you say - this has usually been a switch. On my first car (Ford Fiesta MkII) there was literally a button that the brake pedal pressed when it was up. press the brake pedal, and that button released causing the brake lights to come on. Simple as that! I can't answer how this works on the '5, but maybe one of the dealers on here can? I would assume though that with the hill hold stuff, the automatic braking and the co-op braking it must have a way of telling the control software how far down the brake pedal actually is (rather than just on and off).

I'm pretty sure that regen level 3 isn't actually 'full' regen though. I notice that when I do apply the brake, the 'co-op' braking pushes the needle even further into the blue.

So - either they'll work out how much you're slowing and software-control the brake light (if they can) or just reduce the cap on KERS3 and reserve more of that for co-op braking. Would be nice to have this confirmed though as I always get caught out by the reduced KERS3 on the few occasions when the car is fully charged. (I find my MG5LR lets me put it on KERS3 when fully charged, it just doesn't do a great deal until there's some battery capacity)

Good point the regen action is generating digital information which could be used to activate the brake lights if connected in a smart way

That was the question way back in the thread. We await somebody who has had the software upgrade done to confirm. Digital signals in cars now widely used but brakes were always an analogue signal from a mechanical switch at the foot pedal? And not smart?

The brakes are interesting on the MG5LR (can't comment on the Standard Range model) but when the MG Pilot slows you, the brake pedal moves downwards - so there is definitely a servo of some sort that is applying brake pressure. Whether the pedal moves due to the fluid being pumped to the brake cylinders and this vacuum effect pulls the pedal down - or whether the movement of the pedal is what drives the braking - I've no idea.

On the LEAF D mode and B mode regen have no brake lights.

E-pedal and the brake activate brake lights.

Well, I guess this all depends on whether the brake lights cone on via a hardware or software controlled relay. Like you say - this has usually been a switch. On my first car (Ford Fiesta MkII) there was literally a button that the brake pedal pressed when it was up. press the brake pedal, and that button released causing the brake lights to come on. Simple as that! I can't answer how this works on the '5, but maybe one of the dealers on here can? I would assume though that with the hill hold stuff, the automatic braking and the co-op braking it must have a way of telling the control software how far down the brake pedal actually is (rather than just on and off).

I'm pretty sure that regen level 3 isn't actually 'full' regen though. I notice that when I do apply the brake, the 'co-op' braking pushes the needle even further into the blue.

So - either they'll work out how much you're slowing and software-control the brake light (if they can) or just reduce the cap on KERS3 and reserve more of that for co-op braking. Would be nice to have this confirmed though as I always get caught out by the reduced KERS3 on the few occasions when the car is fully charged. (I find my MG5LR lets me put it on KERS3 when fully charged, it just doesn't do a great deal until there's some battery capacity)
Agree re fully charged and re gen, however I sometimes when 100% just off overnight charge and think, beware re next few junctions as if feels like you are accelerating toward junction rather than not having the usual regen feeling. Anyway I also find that this no regen phase is not always consistent and can get regen feel and indication with 100% sometimes?

Hi All, Just had official confirmation of the software update for the regen brake lights issue: A very detailed email but the important bit is KERS 3 does not currently meet the regulations so a software fix has been issued as has been reported by Alb above.

"This issue was not picked up during certification so, thanks to your input, we have been able to notify an issue to the authorities.
We have therefore developed an engineering fix (software update) and this has been thoroughly validated. Subsequently, we have proposed a vehicle recall of all MG5’s and this has been fully approved by the DVSA.
Letters were sent on 22/11/2021 to all customers affected, and you should receive your correspondence in the next day or so, advising the next steps for your vehicle."

Love our MG5 and very impressed how well MG responded to my enquiry.

Good news thank you. Did the detailed email described the fix? Will brake light now work or have they simply reduced the maximum KERS braking effort to below that needed to generate a deceleration G below the legal requirement?

Good news thank you. Did the detailed email described the fix? Will brake light now work or have they simply reduced the maximum KERS braking effort to below that needed to generate a deceleration G below the legal requirement?
It is to operate the brake lights in KERS 3, no change to regeneration.

Even if you use the brake pedal the car is still doing regeneration unless you slam the breaks on or are at very slow speed. KERS just gives you a choice over how quickly you want the car to slow down when you lift off the accelerator. (Assuming your battery isn't full)
I have been asked to bring my MG 5 EV into my local MG dealer next week to get a software update that will fix this issue for use on KERS 3

Just tried it out not scientific but here you go
  • Only in KERS 3
  • Lift off and short pause for g to build then stays on as you slowdown to fast walking pace or touch the throttle.
  • Will activate at fairly low speeds like when slowing from above 25/30 ish mph. Obviously when slower (below 25/30 ish MPH) the G is not enough to trigger the brake light

Tried to book mine in with my nearest dealer today. No one in the servicing department was picking up the phone so ended up in a web chat.

Explained that it was a software update and was told they'd have to check with the servicing department to see if they had the parts? Reiterated that it was a software update and they said they still need to check with the servicing department and will get back to me.

I wait with baited breath for their call.

Just tried it out not scientific but here you go
  • Only in KERS 3
  • Lift off and short pause for g to build then stays on as you slowdown to fast walking pace or touch the throttle.
  • Will activate at fairly low speeds like when slowing from above 25/30 ish mph. Obviously when slower (below 25/30 ish MPH) the G is not enough to trigger the brake light
So at slower speeds it doesn't work? Why bother with a half fix when in fact you are probably more likely to have someone close up in the city drive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom