Regeneration brake lights

yes but the Stanley Unwin Dealership points out that the breathlight for the brakeylode must be waiting on the chinaship as it crosses the stormyswell you see!

That's probably down to the law. There is a threshold of g where the brake light must come on by law in regen. It's relatively high but can't remember the figure sombody in the wider forums has mentioned it.

Deceleration ≤ 0.7 m/s2: The signal shall not be generated
Deceleration between > 0.7 m/s2 and ≤ 1.3 m/s2: The signal may be generated
Deceleration > 1.3 m/s2: The signal shall be generated

Reliable with the detail as always Alb thank you

So at slower speeds it doesn't work? Why bother with a half fix when in fact you are probably more likely to have someone close up in the city drive.
It works depending on how quickly the car is slowing. At low speed the regen force is less and so the slowing process is less rapid.

So at slower speeds it doesn't work? Why bother with a half fix when in fact you are probably more likely to have someone close up in the city drive.

So - based on Alb's figures there, if it did come on at lower speeds (well, lower deceleration) then that would also be out of spec and an MOT fail, so it's a proper job rather than half a job. I guess if the threshold is too low then your lights would be on and off all the time.

The person may be less distance behind in a city drive, but should still be the same 'time' behind (do they still teach the 2 second rule?) so should have sufficient time to see and react to a vehicle in front slowing at speeds below that threshold without brake lights coming on, especially as that has always been the case with ICE cars.

Just had a software update recall for my MG5 SW LR because the brake lights would not come on in KERS3 when in heavy regen. It was a fault and the updated software fixes it.

Hi
has anyone else had the software recall for operation of brake lights under KERS done?
I did ask the garage how to check wether it worked or not. Didn't get a satisfacory answer.
Will get my son to drive behind and check will report back when I have checked

A crude test is simply to determine whether the brake light illuminates under heavy KERS3 deceleration (foot off the brake pedal).
You can normally see this for yourself in the dark but having someone drive behind you (in telephone contact) is even better.

I've had mine done, at the same time as its first service. At night, if you look carefully in the rear view mirror, you can see the reflection of the centre brake light on the rear wiper and on street furniture. It works exactly as it should now and it feels totally comfortable to drive routinely in KERS level 3, something I tended to avoid in the past even before the recall, as I always felt it was wrong not to show brake lights under heavy deceleration. Most of the roads where I live are 70 mph dual carriageways with multiple roundabouts and I can now make full use of level 3 safely.

I fitted this some months ago before my update. A resistor and LED. Works a treat.
Now kers3 update done it lights up during heavy regeneration.
IMG_20211117_121432.jpg

Had my MG5 LR done on Friday, took less than 30 minutes, all working fine (tested in the dark when you can see the brake light come on in heavy(ish) deceleration in Kers 3 mode the rear view mirror).

Couldn't see any changes in the software version numbers in the "Secret" engineering mode screen, but definitely fixed.

Had the KERS brake light software update done at Islington MG in Trowbridge last week, done in well under 30 minutes. Well pleased with the result but I think MG Motors could have given me 3 years free servicing or maybe even a free 'T' shirt for alerting them to this problem, dream on!

The one person in the company who understood what you were talking about has probably been sacked.

Worried about KERS, try having a car who's driver protection system if it didn't like the look of the vehicle in the adjacent lane and slams the brakes on for no reason apparent to the driver following.:eek:

The one person in the company who understood what you were talking about has probably been sacked.
🤣 The guy on reception came out with the same "under specific charge conditions ......." flannel that is in the letter, obviously MG are not keen to admit there was a serious slip up!

Worried about KERS, try having a car who's driver protection system if it didn't like the look of the vehicle in the adjacent lane and slams the brakes on for no reason apparent to the driver following.:eek:
Now you know why I went for the SR Excite, in my eyes electric windows are a gadget too far 😁 I know the Nissan Leaf can have the same 'unexpected braking' issue, scary stuff.

Hi folks,I'm just jumping in here with this - don't mean to be rude!
As people have said above, there are regulations for when brake lights should turn on.

The regulations for the UK state that if the deceleration is
  • less than or equal to 0.7 m/s/s the signal shall not be generated
  • greater than 0.7 m/s/s and less than or equal to 1.3 m/s/s the signal may be generated
  • greater than 1.3 m/s/s the signal shall be generated

I've been following a different ev forum for a few years. People there were trying to use changes in speed, and the time it took to make that change as a way of checking their rate of deceleration. I knew that most phones and tablets had good accelerometers in them, so I thought I'd try to find an app that would help. I couldn't find one though, but kept it in the back of my mind til now. I've written an app that should help. You can find it in your appstore from links on www.acceleration.wales

Full functionality for checking brake lights is completely free. I hope it's of some use.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom