RELAIBILITY????

JULIAN SYMMS

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,
I'm considering buying MG HS Exclusive but having read Trust Pilot reviews the overall score for relaiabilty, warranty, MG help is the most dismal and disappointing I have ever read for a new car.
I have test drived twice and thought it was a good experience nad would suit my needs but now have vert serious concerns about the car.
Please help me make the right decision.
Thank you
Julian Symms

Dont forget that most review sites are supported by 2 types of people. Those who have a problem , and those who are real fans. The vast majority of owners dont even read or review their product if it does what they expect.

i have had the MG HS PHEV for 3 months now and am very happy with it. Take a test drive and you will understand why. The reviews you really should pay attention to are your local MG dealers service ratings.

As midcian says there two side to each story, I have had my car 7 months now and still like the car, yes there are two glitches with it but these will get ironed out in time if we all report them. The car has been reliable and the dealer is going to sort out a little problem of the driver door handle can stick when open the door and needs a little saving off to stop it sticking which will be under warrant.

I have had my car from last June, never had a problem mechanically, love the car, it has 7 year warranty if you are unsure, not that I like to constantly go to garage anyway, Online reviewers have never liked the cars I have bought over the years, never had a bad car, what do experts know? Make the choice, you wont be disappointed, my only mistake was I did not realise they had 2 reds, got the dark Farringdon , only knew of the bright Dynamic, so got a Dynamic on order, and it was reported to be “ on the move” 4 weeks ago, whether that was on the factory line or shipping line ?? But my Farringdon Exclusive 2500 mileage will be up for sale in the near future.

I have to agree with the other.
I used this forum to see what people thought when I was interested and it was a very small group , ( I think Henri8 said there were 5 of them lol ). They offered great help and told me of a few issues to be aware of , eg slow gear change ay 40mph in ev mode , and also about the heating in the PHEV relies on the ICE.
So when I test drove one I was aware of them , and as I have mentioned on other posts , you have to see if these issues and how a hybrid works re the heater are deal breakers or not.
I decided not and have had the car 10 months, and i must say my wife and I are loving it, its a great spec for the money , and more importantly no range anxiety.
Apart from long journeys over 35 miles return from home , i drive mostly in EV mode, and i don't know why but i love driving in that mode it just seems nicer LOL

Commenting on the sticky drivers door handle (JTO) i had that and assumed some dirt got in , so a quick spray with WD40 and no issues since.

Hi Julian.
I quite understand your concerns, strangely I did look on Trust Pilot but didn't find MG under car manufactures at all.
As others have said, mostly owners arrive here because of a problem and need some advice or help in sorting out an annoying problem which someone has come across already and may well have found a solution or workaround (Jto is a great source of these). Others, like you are looking for real world experience, again this is the right place. However no car is perfect, my present car (Non MG) has had 4 turbo actuators and one complete turbo replaced under warranty with less then 25k on the clock in 5 years but I will still be sorry to see it go.
People who have no problems will be very unlikely to arrive here, and they are normally the largest number of owners!
I have contacted MG UK on a few occasions asking question or looking for clarification and so far the results are fine. The main concern is with your dealer and how they respond to any problems you might have, but you will only know this later down the line. Go with your gut.

I got my 1 year old HS PHEV second hand from a dealer here in Dublin with approx 17000 km on it. The car apparently belonged to MG exec who drove it loads. I could not believe the quality of the car after such relatively heavy utilisation in a short time. It's literally like brand new. There isn't a single cosmetic fault I can see (apart from nail scuffs behind the door handle) nor there isn't a mechanical fault that manifested itself yet. We only did around 1000 km so far but half of it was on motorways with heavy load and 120 / 130 km/h. Car drives like a dream, no rattles, not even leather deformations on the seats - feels like brand new. So as others said - try it. These days there are no perfect cars but there are also very very few really bad cars (even Dacia is getting good? :p ). The difference between premium brands and standard brands seems to be reducing significantly in terms of technology and build quality i.e. standard brands get better and better tech and premium brands get worse and worse build quality ;)

I have to agree with the other.
I used this forum to see what people thought when I was interested and it was a very small group , ( I think Henri8 said there were 5 of them lol ). They offered great help and told me of a few issues to be aware of , eg slow gear change ay 40mph in ev mode , and also about the heating in the PHEV relies on the ICE.
So when I test drove one I was aware of them , and as I have mentioned on other posts , you have to see if these issues and how a hybrid works re the heater are deal breakers or not.
I decided not and have had the car 10 months, and i must say my wife and I are loving it, its a great spec for the money , and more importantly no range anxiety.
Apart from long journeys over 35 miles return from home , i drive mostly in EV mode, and i don't know why but i love driving in that mode it just seems nicer LOL

Commenting on the sticky drivers door handle (JTO) i had that and assumed some dirt got in , so a quick spray with WD40 and no issues since.
Hi
Yes I have tried WD40 and other WD product but with no result, after speaking with my dealer who have had one or two is to take the handle and take a small shaving off.

We got the car 16 months and 16,000 km ago. A 4 yo niece of my wife ripped a molding off a seat, cost $16.50 to replace. 2 oil/filter changes (free), even though we drive 85% in EV mode. No rattles or noises, car drives like a charm, nothing ever failed - not something I could say about our MB PHEV that needed numerous unscheduled shop visits in the same time period.

All review sites attract whingers and idiots, people who've had positive experiences justifiably don't think it's anything less than they can reasonably expect so rarely add comments. (I own a bar :rolleyes:).

There's a lot of open and honest opinion on here .... we love our Excite. My usual comments when asked are: ... if your daily driving pattern is 50k / 32m or less, it's a very comfortable economical car that's a pleasure to drive. Keep in mind it's got a lot of software that needs to start up and run a few scripts so some elements aren't as instant as analogue hard button / copper wire technology. If you drive in excess of the 50k / 32m each day then you'll find the mpg / L/100km disappointing.

All review sites attract whingers and idiots, people who've had positive experiences justifiably don't think it's anything less than they can reasonably expect so rarely add comments. (I own a bar :rolleyes:).

There's a lot of open and honest opinion on here .... we love our Excite. My usual comments when asked are: ... if your daily driving pattern is 50k / 32m or less, it's a very comfortable economical car that's a pleasure to drive. Keep in mind it's got a lot of software that needs to start up and run a few scripts so some elements aren't as instant as analogue hard button / copper wire technology. If you drive in excess of the 50k / 32m each day then you'll find the mpg / L/100km disappointing.
Yes it’s disappointing the mpg but the gearbox needs attention as it keeps the high gear for to long if doing 30 mph which is what I do each day if this was sorted would be better. Today I was on a 50 mph road and the ICE was at 1.8 rpm which is less then travelling at 30 mph which is at 2.2 rpm. The more of us complain to our dealerships the more MG UK will get reports from them and may pass on to China.

Owner of an ex-demo car since May last year. Not had a single thing fail in that time, seems better screwed together than my previous Mitsubishi's.
It has its quirks, as mentioned elsewhere, but not enough to cause any concern.
The MG is more comfortable, faster if you need it and more economical than my Outlander PHEV's were.

I agree with Javathehut - The perfect car has not and never will be built.
With regard to information on any review site - bear in mind most owners, who are happy with their product, don’t bother posting a review.
Although some reviewers will post reviews when their expectations are exceeded most don’t bother.
However, if someone has a particularly bad experience they cannot wait to air their views and vent their anger. Understandable.
This means that reviews tend be more negative as the majority of satisfied customers don’t feel the need to post anything.

I've had my HS Exclusive PHEV since September 2021 and covered just over 2000 miles and apart from the odd software bug which everyone has ...no issues. Car has been perfect.

I do find the ride to soft and bouncy for my liking and did consider part exchanging it for the new Hyundai Tucson PHEV. At £9000 more plus around £3000 PCP interest charges...I can't justify it

I’d agree with things written here. I’m coming closer to 10k miles on HS Phev. I knew the shortcomings before I sat in one. @Miles Roberts CG was upfront about limitations.

Gearbox slowness is annoying even today. Agree with @Jto - not sure eBay the prices of complaint is really. @Miles Roberts CG did communicate it to MG though what happens from then on is unclear.

Besides the slow gear change at 45-50 mph and small boot I find it very reliable.

Re the high revs at 30mph - given there's no alternator I've wondered if that is extra revs to facilitate effective 12v and or traction battery charging rather than any sort of fault or issue.

I think it’s a general refinement issue. Why would it rev more to facilitate effective 12V.
Actually having thought more after extra coffee, what I said would only be likely if the screen showed that, with the green line running from the ICE to the battery pack. D'Oh.

Actually having thought more after extra coffee, what I said would only be likely if the screen showed that, with the green line running from the ICE to the battery pack. D'Oh.
In auto mode without need for heat, gear change is far smoother than times when engine is needed for heat as that disables use of EV until coolant is sufficiently warm. I’ve had HV battery full and ICE coming in and spoiling fun.

Lately unless it’s very cold I tend to set cabin to Lo.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom