Remote defrosting via iSMART app

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Today I decided to try the remote car heating from the app. Outside temperature was reading 7C and the temperature inside the car was 15C. As my intention was to sit in the stationary car fiddling with the screens and the steering wheel buttons I thought I'd warm it up before I got into it.

I asked it to do its ten minutes warm-up thing from the app. After the ten minutes had passed, the interior temperature of the car was still 15C. Absolutely no effect whatsoever. I went out to the car and switched on the heating and it heated up quite normally.

Is this something else that doesn't work on the SE and is only given to the privileged Trophy owners? Or does it just think that 15C is quite warm enough and decide it doesn't need heating? Or am I doing something else stupid?

Today I decided to try the remote car heating from the app. Outside temperature was reading 7C and the temperature inside the car was 15C. As my intention was to sit in the stationary car fiddling with the screens and the steering wheel buttons I thought I'd warm it up before I got into it.

I asked it to do its ten minutes warm-up thing from the app. After the ten minutes had passed, the interior temperature of the car was still 15C. Absolutely no effect whatsoever. I went out to the car and switched on the heating and it heated up quite normally.

Is this something else that doesn't work on the SE and is only given to the privileged Trophy owners? Or does it just think that 15C is quite warm enough and decide it doesn't need heating? Or am I doing something else stupid?
my MG% works fine have used most days when cold and worked perfect, is your heater temperature set to warm if if on low the app wont turn up.

I've had no problems with my zs se lr remote heating, perhaps you should check your settings

Has there been a fix (or a workaround) to the problem of remote defrosting whilst the charger is plugged in but not charging? This is so frustrating. I charge my car every other night so it will only be available to me about half of the time.

Has there been a fix (or a workaround) to the problem of remote defrosting whilst the charger is plugged in but not charging? This is so frustrating. I charge my car every other night so it will only be available to me about half of the time.
Fixed in latest SE updates. Possibly fixed in latest Trophy updates, less clear.

And they are reversed I think - driver's is passenger's and passenger's is driver's.
That is correct, I found that out for myself 2 days ago when mine didn't remote heat my seat and the passenger seat was toasty ! (The in car screen buttons are the right way round, but not in the app).
I have also read on here about cars not remote heating when plugged in and not charging. Mine has worked in this state twice now ?

P.S. hello everyone, I got my new Trophy (rear wiper one !) last week.
I'm booked in at MG next week for an intermittent airbag fault (I've read on here it could be a loose plug or software).
I joined this MG community group a while back when researching the MG4 and put myself off getting one ! At the time people were climbing out of the boot (locked in issue) and had oily driveways (breather pipe issues).
Anyway I took the plunge and ordered one after monitoring the chatter on here (and YouTube) for a couple of months, and then had to wait another 5 months until it was delivered last week. I hadn't even had a test drive in one.

There is a wealth of info on here, thank you everyone.

So far I love the car !
It drives so smoothly with loads of power on tap when needed (even in eco mode).
I've already sold my Nissan Juke diesel, so there's no going back now !!

I gave mine a double dose of preheat this morning as it was -4°C out and the first one had only cleared 2/3 of the screen, all the frost had gone but 1/3 of the screen was still misted up. I set it to 27°C on the app, the internal temperature was showing 19°C and the whole screen and side windows were clear when it finished the second one. ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
Although if you do a couple of 10 mins sessions with the HVAC set to HI then the rear screen tends to also defrost - at least enough so that you can easily clear it, and manually starting the rear screen heater has it fully clear very quickly. :)

I only did one 10 minute session this morning at -5°C and the screen cleared with the wipers, the rear was still quite frosty, and if course the mirrors frozen solid.

I know, third world problems. But I think it would be relatively easy to add the button to the app and add the API call.

Last edited by a moderator:
One strange omission from the pre-heat for me is the ability to switch on the rear screen heater. So you get in a nice warm car with a clear windscreen, but the rear window and the mirrors are still iced up!
I have never noticed that on the 4 because in the 5 you can but you can’t switch the seat heaters on
IMG_6294.png

One strange omission from the pre-heat for me is the ability to switch on the rear screen heater. So you get in a nice warm car with a clear windscreen, but the rear window and the mirrors are still iced up!
I put the rear screen demister on to clear the mirrors when I got in the car and they cleared in less than a minute.
The rear window was just about cleared by the double preheat but had water droplets on the outside.

I only did one 10 minute session this morning at -5°C and the screen cleared with the wipers, the rear was still quite frosty, and if course the mirrors frozen solid.

I know, third world problems. But I think it would be relatively easy to add the button to the app and add the API call.
Same. It seems that a single session warms the windscreen up enough at least to loosen the ice if not melt it all. When I got in, a single swipe of the wipers cleared the whole thing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back