Remote Heating at 100% charge not charging - worked

Our supply comes to us first then onto next doors so they did the 80amp upgrade but its a metal cutout and Octopus are saying they need a plastic cutout
Octopus aren't authorised to work on DNO equipment so will make no odds to their work

I thought that but they are insisting the NPg swap it to a plastic cutout. Going round in circles at the minute with them

No idea. Cant get anything out of them. They sent it to NPG to come out and survey
'We have identified that your cut out is an older model which would need to be changed prior to the installation.'

1674743522360.png

Cutout replacement needed and maybe a new consumer as well as a isolator.

I've still got the old Wirelex consumer unit (fusebox) which no-one wants to touch because if they do they then have to test the whole house which could mean a total re-wire to bring it up to spec. before they can sign it off. My installer instead split the tails that feed the fuse box and installed a second consumer unit to feed the EV charger.

extra £600 to replace it

Might just be easier to have a new socket put outside and use a granny cable.

Might just be easier to have a new socket put outside and use a granny cable.
I'd go back to Octopus and ask why you need to change the cut out, as its a serviceable cutout.

Or you get a 32A commando installed and something like an Ohme Go, I believe these are still Octopus Intelligent complaint (but not 100% sure)

I'm sure Ayoull will correct me but isn't the cut out owned by National Grid and is nothing to do with the electricity supplier?
It's owned by the DNO which in Goldie007s case is NPg (Northern Powergrid).

Just had an epiphany.... unless their MCoPA operator who installs meters aren't competent to terminate new tails into the cutout for a new smart meter (assuming you don't have one)

I have a smart meter and they have passed the tails into and the out of the cutout upto the fusebox. Looking at it it just looks like the tails come straight out of the cutout but looking closer they go up into the meter sat at the top of the cutout and then back in and out the side up to the fusebox

The DNO start at a £600 price to swap the box to plastic. Either way the consumer gets stuffed with the bill even though its their equipment

surely for cash (say £30?) Ayoull can twist a few wires together - bit of solder.. nothing to it.

The DNO start at a £600 price to swap the box to plastic. Either way the consumer gets stuffed with the bill even though its their equipment
The companies stance will be the equipment is serviceable, and safe, you're asking for a perfectly functional piece of equipment to be replaced, and as the DNO are primarily funded through everyones electricity bill through the DUoS mechanism.

Should bill payers fund replacing a working serviceable piece of equipment?

I know that feeling. I had to pay for an asbestos test certificate because my meters are on an asbestos board which was fitted by the power supply company when the house was built.

Can you get someone else to install the EV charging unit?

Think the frustration is the looking at all the DNO's it appears Northern are the only ones to charge. The engineer who came out said they are pumping 3Billion into upgrading connections. For 6 months they have been talking of doing for free but while people are paying they will never do it for free.

Will have to see what Octopus say once they get the survey

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel