Rental MG 5, how to set up charging management etc please.

bimbamboodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, please can anyone point me in the direction of a video or how to set up an Mg5 72 plate so we can manage the overnight charging. Can it be linked with ISMART, if so how please or where in the car do we find it? It’s quite different from my MG ZS which is in the garage again for the third time, same problem! 🙄 Thanks

Hi
ISmart/scheduled charging is only supported by Face Lift (FL) models, very few of these with a 72 plate, so if your rental looks a bit like a Passat then you’re out of luck I’m afraid…

Hi @bimbamboodle if you have a home charger for your ZS EV then you need to use that for 'scheduled' charging on a pre-face lift (2021/2022) 5 EV. If you have to use a 13amp granny charger then you can I suppose place a 'timer' on the plug socket to get some sort of 'scheduling'. On a rental car though you would probably just plug in and charge to 100% and the car will stop the charge.

Not ideal, I suppose that is why MG included 'control' in the face lift.

Sincerely
Martin

PS how long do you have the car for?

[ Edited moderator: ZF → ZS ]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have to use a 13amp granny charger then you can I suppose place a 'timer' on the plug socket to get some sort of 'scheduling'.
I don't recommend using timers on EVSEs (AC "chargers"). It's harsh on the relay contacts and the car's electronics. A new on-board charger is likely thousands of pounds.

I don't recommend using timers on EVSEs (AC "chargers"). It's harsh on the relay contacts and the car's electronics. A new on-board charger is likely thousands of pounds.
I agree, it’s not good practice to disconnect power under load, but there are ways to avoid that:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom