Replace Pod Point Solo charger with Ohme

pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I currently have a pod point charger that I would like to replace with an Ohme, has anyone done this?

Nothing wrong with the podoint, however I've been given an ohme from a family member that no longer needs it.

I take it would be a fairly straight forward swap over?

Thanks

Should be a very simple swap over as all the wiring is already there. I take it the Pod point is 7kw , if so the wiring should be fine .

Yes, my podpoint is the 7kw version, I’m not going to do it myself, however hopefully a competent electrician should be fine then by sounds of it

How long ago was the PodPoint installed as the regulations have changed recently?

I'm not sure, my PodPoint is about 12 years old and 3.5 kw. Was fitted free by British Gas when the gov were sponsoring fitting to kick start EV take up. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading it but I would have to upgrade the wiring and fuses. It works well enough (completely dumb) but it means an EV tariff is not viable as they usually mean around 5 hours of charging which for me is only a 25% charge. My commute uses between 20 to 25% charge depending on the weather. So I think is it worth spending £1k on a new installment or stay as I am on standard tariff and use that money on charging. Still not come to a definite conclusion. 🤔

I currently have a pod point charger that I would like to replace with an Ohme, has anyone done this ?

Nothing wrong with the podoint, however I've been given an ohme from a family member that no longer needs it.

I take it would be a fairly straight forward swap over ?

Thanks
I have an Ohme pro - which just works for my selected off peak hours (in a dummy mode via EDF) - I'm sure all chargers have some sort of time of charge function, so why would you want to change?

EDIT : Okay - just re-read the post - yes it should be a straight swap, my installer (via Octopus/home ??? chargers for the ohme), noted that they got £135 per install, irrespective of the complexity. I paid £600 15 months ago (installed 1 day after web inquiry - they were clearly short of work - the chap also did smart meter installs), just after the gov. stopped subsidising the installs

Last edited:
The advantage of the OHME is that it is compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go. That gives you extremely low cost charging. 7.5p per KWH. You can even plug in your car off peak and they will charge the car when the electricity usage on the grid is low. So 7.5p per KWH at any time of day or night. They control the charger (which you can override if you need to (but the it costs around 31p per KWH.
You even get cheap home electricity for 5 hours every night. (7.5 p too!)

The advantage of the OHME is that it is compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go. That gives you extremely low cost charging. 7.5p per KWH. You can even plug in your car off peak and they will charge the car when the electricity usage on the grid is low. So 7.5p per KWH at any time of day or night. They control the charger (which you can override if you need to (but the it costs around 31p per KWH.
You even get cheap home electricity for 5 hours every night. (7.5 p too!)

Thanks, I’m just trying to find a local fitter/electrican

I currently have a pod point charger that I would like to replace with an Ohme, has anyone done this?

I take it would be a fairly straight forward swap over?

Thanks
We've had our charger replaced with an ohme through motorbility with no problems at all ,just the actual charger box replaced because they used the original wiring and trip box

I'm not sure, my PodPoint is about 12 years old and 3.5 kw. Was fitted free by British Gas when the gov were sponsoring fitting to kick start EV take up. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading it but I would have to upgrade the wiring and fuses. It works well enough (completely dumb) but it means an EV tariff is not viable as they usually mean around 5 hours of charging which for me is only a 25% charge. My commute uses between 20 to 25% charge depending on the weather. So I think is it worth spending £1k on a new installment or stay as I am on standard tariff and use that money on charging. Still not come to a definite conclusion. 🤔
I am with eon next drive and get midnight to 7 am at 9.5p rest of the time it is 33.18p. We also put the dishwasher and washing to run off peak, saving us a fortune on what we were paying

I am with eon next drive and get midnight to 7 am at 9.5p rest of the time it is 33.18p. We also put the dishwasher and washing to run off peak, saving us a fortune on what we were paying
And that's why a Time of Day tariff won't work for us ... Mrs. Guru refuses to have such appliances running when we're a) out of the house, or b) sleeping, due to potential fire risk.

E.on have just reduced their next-drive night rate to 8p/kWh and the day rate to 31p/kWh

Standard variable is currently 28+p per unit, but from April is forecast to drop to 24+p per unit. A Time of Day tariff is fine as long as you're prepared to shift other usage to that time slot. (Washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer etc.).

I think I am tied in until August but I will give them a shout, cheers.
My contract ends in July but there's no exit fees so should be able to move without any penalty before the contract is up.
I'm going to ask to be switched to the cheaper rates as I've got to contact them again anyway as although the meter is sending the readings to E.on Drive they aren't letting billing know what they are so keep getting estimated bills.

Standard variable is currently 28+p per unit, but from April is forecast to drop to 24+p per unit. A Time of Day tariff is fine as long as you're prepared to shift other usage to that time slot. (Washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer etc.).
There's another big drop predicted for July on top of April (if the wholesale market stays the same).

Reading Martin Lewis yesterday, he was saying that we are about to see the return of more fixed tariffs as prices drop and specific market restrictions are lifted.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back