Required RFID cards for charging MG ZS EV 2023

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
OK hopefully I'm about to take delivery of an MG ZS EV Trophy in the next 2 weeks. Its been some time since I last checked what RFID cards I require (or are usefull to have) when out charging the car. Most of the information on sites is from several years ago and as a result it may no longer be necessary to carry many, I just don;t know.

So what are the essential cards I should always have available in the car?

Appreciated.

evcog

It depends where you'll be driving to and if you have a home charger or not. At a guess a podpoint membership would be handy since Tesco stores are just about everywhere. If you plan on coming to Scotland then a ChargeplaceScotland account/card will help a lot although these days you can pay by webpay on their app for most chargers.

OK hopefully I'm about to take delivery of an MG ZS EV Trophy in the next 2 weeks. Its been some time since I last checked what RFID cards I require (or are usefull to have) when out charging the car. Most of the information on sites is from several years ago and as a result it may no longer be necessary to carry many, I just don;t know.

So what are the essential cards I should always have available in the car?

Appreciated.

evcog
Have a lookmat Zap-map to see what is near you on on routes to friends and family or holiday destinations.
Some rapids can be used with credit cards but some need apps or RFID cards.
Electroverse or Bonnet cover a range of networks with a single card or app.

Depends on where you are charging. I ordered cards for pretty much all the networks when we got our ZS and in 3 years and 40,000 EV miles I've used..............none of them!
When we started out we did use the Electric Highway app but that's long since gone and all the chargers we use are either contactless or for Podpoint and Tesla have an app but no card.

Thanks all. I have downloaded just about all of the apps and so far after scouring Zap Map (which I've also subscribed to) I have ordered 3 RFID cards :-

Shell Recharge
Mer
and one other which I have forgotten. I'll know when I receive the card ;)

It seems most others now accept contactless. We shall see as I start off on this adventure.

Once again thanks for your help.

evcog

Depends on where you are charging. I ordered cards for pretty much all the networks when we got our ZS and in 3 years and 40,000 EV miles I've used..............none of them!
When we started out we did use the Electric Highway app but that's long since gone and all the chargers we use are either contactless or for Podpoint and Tesla have an app but no card.
You use Tesla supercharger?

I have a RFID card, not used actually. But had Bud experience with a charger where low connection of cellular and App of my smartphone locked. And I had to call the call center of charger to stop charge and release my cable. Then I decided ti buy a card Rfid

call the call center of charger to stop charge and release my cable.
There is usually a way of releasing a locked cable yourself, in the older MG5 it's a lever under the plastic cover in the bonnet (which requires tools to remove), I believe in the MG4 it's under a small panel in the boot, so check your manual. In the MG5 it's described in the Charging section, under the heading "Manually Releasing the Charging Port Lock in Emergency Situations".

A useful tip I found in these forums for the pre-facelift MG5 was to attach a piece of string to the lever and loop it out through the plastic cover so you don't need to take off the cover to reach the lever in an emergency. Not sure where it is in the MG ZS, or the new MG5.

Thanks all. I have downloaded just about all of the apps and so far after scouring Zap Map (which I've also subscribed to) I have ordered 3 RFID cards :-

Shell Recharge
Mer
and one other which I have forgotten. I'll know when I receive the card ;)

It seems most others now accept contactless. We shall see as I start off on this adventure.

Once again thanks for your help.

evcog
The Electroverse card covers both of those and many more if that helps.

Not sure where it is in the MG ZS.
The emergency cable release on both models of the ZS EV ( Gen1 and Gen2 ) is located under the bonnet, close to the windscreen washer bottle.
It looks a bit like this 👍.

3F3C5A74-8DEC-4288-84DD-4BB528B908DF.jpeg

It depends where you'll be driving to and if you have a home charger or not. At a guess a podpoint membership would be handy since Tesco stores are just about everywhere. If you plan on coming to Scotland then a ChargeplaceScotland account/card will help a lot although these days you can pay by webpay on their app for most chargers.
You will need a chargeplace Scotland RF card as the webpay and app don't work (even for free points). I also recently got a geniepoint card as Morrisons have this type. The only other charge points I've used are in the shell garages and I just used a bank/credit card.

You use Tesla supercharger?

I have a RFID card, not used actually. But had Bud experience with a charger where low connection of cellular and App of my smartphone locked. And I had to call the call center of charger to stop charge and release my cable. Then I decided ti buy a card Rfid
Tesla in France: I have a "Chargemap" account with an RFID card; they just announced that Tesla has opened its French superchargers to Chargemap members; requires an app but so what? Chargemap are old (2011 start) mostly in France where they are huge. They also hint that rest of Europe will get the Tesla charging deal soon. I mostly travel to Antwerp (Belgium) with my 2022 Trophy LR, because I have family over there. Recenly Antwerp city has installed high speed DC chargers in pairs of requisitioned parking spaces in the streets for use with an RFID card that my in laws possess. Perfect.

You will need a chargeplace Scotland RF card as the webpay and app don't work (even for free points). I also recently got a geniepoint card as Morrisons have this type. The only other charge points I've used are in the shell garages and I just used a bank/credit card.
Webpay and the app both work fine as long as the charger is not one of the older ones.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom