reset TPMS

Jasonmgev

Standard Member
Reaction score
I changed my Tires and now the tire warning light will not go off. How do I reset it

The manual says
"TPMS Self-learning
The TPMS system is a 'self learning' system, after resetting tyre pressures it will be necessary to allow the system to go through a self learning process. This is done by driving the car, during this process the system is suspended and the data displayed may not be correct. If sensors or receiver module are replaced the system requires programming, consult an MG Authorised Repairer. If the wheels are swapped or rotated the system requires reprogramming to learn the new transmitter positions, consult an MG Authorised Repairer. "
"Under certain conditions the warning light may illuminate when a fault is not present, these conditions include:
• A non recommended tyre fitted (including spare tyre).
• Rough terrain driving for excessive periods.
• Bending or mountain type terrain driving for excessive periods.
• TPMS will not respond immediately if a tyre 'blows out'. "

Yes thanks- but seems suboptimal if I have to go into the dealer twice a year when I change from summer to winter tyres.. just to get it reset.. but will drive around a bit more and see if it "learns" anything

Yes thanks- but seems suboptimal if I have to go into the dealer twice a year when I change from summer to winter tyres.. just to get it reset.. but will drive around a bit more and see if it "learns" anything
I was thinking the same to be honest, it seems like an awful lot of faff for something that should be fairly simple, on my old car I could pump the tyres up and reset the level with a few button presses.

If you just changed the tyres on the same wheels and if they are on the same position on the car then there should be no need to go to the dealers.
I was thinking the same to be honest, it seems like an awful lot of faff for something that should be fairly simple, on my old car I could pump the tyres up and reset the level with a few button presses.
It's less "faff" with the MG, you just adjust the tyre pressures, up, or down and drive it.

yes that works well the 2nds time you need to change the tires.. but not the first year.. The dealer did not mark on my winter tyres which ones went where.. :) .. So likely not even calibrated in ..

yes that works well the 2nds time you need to change the tires.. but not the first year.. The dealer did not mark on my winter tyres which ones went where.. :) .. So likely not even calibrated in ..
I don't know if this would work, but I would guess that you could find out which wheel goes where by deflating a tyre and see where it shows up on the display ?
If it shows up as front left for example, then that wheel goes on the front left and so on.
A bit of a pain if you haven't got a compressor though. :sneaky:

I don't know if this would work, but I would guess that you could find out which wheel goes where by deflating a tyre and see where it shows up on the display ?
If it shows up as front left for example, then that wheel goes on the front left and so on.
That’s a dam good idea💡

Interestingly my Prius allows you to reset the tyre pressure monitor in the menus after you have inflated or deflated the tyres to your preferred pressure. But annoyingly it only has a warning light and no visual indication as to which tyre is low, so you have to go round checking them manually anyway. The Prius threshold for the warning light is 20% under inflation after you have set it, so to get an earlier warning I overinflate the tyres then set monitor then drop the pressures back down to just a couple of psi above recommended.

@Kithmo I have fitted an aftermarket TPMS which replaces the valve caps with sensors, the display unit shows a graphic similar to the MG. It gives me constant readings which is great for motorways etc.

great idea.. right now I am getting no readings from any of the tires.. but have a compresser So will give it a go

great idea.. right now I am getting no readings from any of the tires.. but have a compresser So will give it a

I’d get it back to the dealer and get them to sort it for you.
yes is booked in for next week. I also seem to have that scrunch sound when accelerating and decelerating.. So they can look at both at the same time :)

great idea.. right now I am getting no readings from any of the tires.. but have a compresser So will give it a go
I would have thought you would get readings if you have the sensors on the wheels, but in the wrong positions on the graphic.
Just to confirm, did you just change the tyres on the original rims or are the winter tyres on different rims ?

I would have thought you would get readings if you have the sensors on the wheels, but in the wrong positions on the graphic.
Just to confirm, did you just change the tyres on the original rims or are the winter tyres on different rims ?
yes is strange as get no readings on any of the tires - they are winter tyres on different rims and when I bought the car the dealer did not have any winter tyres in stock so they delivered the winter tyres a few weeks later- so they have never been near the car before I put them on so they have definatly not been synced with the car. cant find any sensors on the actual rims. Going to dealer next week so will sort it all out then

If they are on different rims you won't get a reading as the sensor isn't there?

If they are on different rims you won't get a reading as the sensor isn't there?
That's what I was thinking. I wonder if you can program another set of sensors in on the MG ?
Sensors are usually expensive, I know they're around £70 each for the Prius, which adds another £280 to the cost of a set of Winter tyres and rims, plus the cost of programming them in each time you change the wheels over as you can only have one set programmed in at a time.

SO you didn't just change the tyres, you changed the wheels ?

yes is booked in for next week. I also seem to have that scrunch sound when accelerating and decelerating.. So they can look at both at the same time :)
I would be interested to know the outcome of your 'scrunch' check, as it is very annoying. The demonstrators I tried and my car all do it and the dealer seemed oblivious to it. If their is a fix or even knowledge of what causes it, I would b pleased to hear. Good luck

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom