Reverse parking car rolling back when on drive mode

firstMG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I reversed parked into a parking space this morning, the space is slightly uphill. I needed to adjust the car position, so I put foot on brake, charged it on drive mode, soon I removed my foot from brake, the car started to roll back.

I put it to parking mode, and tried again, it rolled back again. At that time, the rear of the car was very close to the charging dock. So I had to put it on park mode, and waited for about a minute or so. Then put it on drive, it moved forward.

Anyone else experienced the same before? Why this happened? Or something I have done wrong?

Thanks

Do you use auto hold ? If so try putting it into D mode and keep your foot hard on the brake. Then slowly release the brake and see if you still roll back. The brake needs a firm press sometimes.

I was driving on one pedal mode, with autohold on. So, I assume yes, autohold was on.

So your theory is that if I didn't press the brake hard enough, the car didn't register the driving mode changed from reserve to drive?

I was driving on one pedal mode, with autohold on. So, I assume yes, autohold was on.

So your theory is that if I didn't press the brake hard enough, the car didn't register the driving mode changed from reserve to drive?

Not sure completely as I wasn't there and don't how how steep the uphill was. I would have thought it should have held in D mode if using one pedal drive but if auto hold (hill hold in the manual) wasn't engaged it could have rolled back slightly I guess. My theory was that Hill Hold didn't engage as you weren't braking hard enough or long enough after selecting D mode.

It sounds like you think it didn't engage D mode ?

Perhaps try a bit of a trial and error next time, e.g. when selecting D mode from R mode wait a few seconds and make sure the reversing camera disappears and then with your foot still firmly on the brake try releasing it slowly.

From the manual. I have underlined the points I was trying to make :-

Hill Hold Control (HHC)

HHC has limitations when subject to adverse conditions such as wet or icy
surfaces, and the driver must always pay attention to the vehicle conditions.

DO NOT exit the vehicle with only HHC applied, it may lead to a serious accident
when HHC releases.

During hill start under a stop-and-go road condition, please step on the brake pedal
deeply for several seconds before each start.

HHC assists the driver by 'holding' the vehicle during hill starts. If the driver releases the brake pedal, the HHC willhold the vehicle stationary for a short time.

The following conditions must be fulfilled to activate HHC:
• The driver's door is closed and the driver seat belt is
fastened.
• The vehicle is stopped steadily on a slope.
• SCS is fault free.
• EPB is fault free and released.
• Power system is in READY mode.
• D or R gear is selected.
Sufficient brake pedal application force has been applied before start.

Note: The HHC can also work when the vehicle is reversing uphill.

Last edited:
Question @firstMG ... were you parked with the front or rear facing uphill? (It's not totally clear from your OP).

And what drive mode were you in? (ECO, NORMAL, etc.)

OK - as suggested above, you could apply the handbrake, select D and then press the accelerator ... the car shouldn't roll back and should drive forward.

But on that small incline and NORMAL mode I'd have expected the motor to hold the car in place even without pressing the Go pedal.

Not sure completely as I wasn't there and don't how how steep the uphill was. I would have thought it should have held in D mode if using one pedal drive but if auto hold (hill hold in the manual) wasn't engaged it could have rolled back slightly I guess. My theory was that Hill Hold didn't engage as you weren't braking hard enough or long enough after selecting D mode.

It sounds like you think it didn't engage D mode ?

Perhaps try a bit of a trial and error next time, e.g. when selecting D mode from R mode wait a few seconds and make sure the reversing camera disappears and then with your foot still firmly on the brake try releasing it slowly.

From the manual. I have underlined the points I was trying to make :-

Hill Hold Control (HHC)

HHC has limitations when subject to adverse conditions such as wet or icy
surfaces, and the driver must always pay attention to the vehicle conditions.

DO NOT exit the vehicle with only HHC applied, it may lead to a serious accident
when HHC releases.

During hill start under a stop-and-go road condition, please step on the brake pedal
deeply for several seconds before each start.

HHC assists the driver by 'holding' the vehicle during hill starts. If the driver releases the brake pedal, the HHC willhold the vehicle stationary for a short time.

The following conditions must be fulfilled to activate HHC:
• The driver's door is closed and the driver seat belt is
fastened.
• The vehicle is stopped steadily on a slope.
• SCS is fault free.
• EPB is fault free and released.
• Power system is in READY mode.
• D or R gear is selected.
Sufficient brake pedal application force has been applied before start.

Note: The HHC can also work when the vehicle is reversing uphill.
Thank you for the in-depth comment. I have to admit I was rushed to do it. I didn't noticed if the reverse camera was turned off when it rolled back, also my seat belts maybe also were not fastened, as I exited the car to move the traffic cones (my workplace uses traffic cones to reserve parking spaces for electric cars). When I got back in the car, I started to manoeuvre maybe forgot to put seat belts back on. I will take more notice next time. Thank you

Just to confirm I’ve tried it just now (out shopping with Mrs G 🤣).

Hill hold does not work in Reverse Gear as above - so I had to go from R to D and then keep my foot firmly depressed on the brake for a few seconds before releasing the Brake. Hill hold had then activated 👍and I didn’t roll back - just a dab of acceleration and I crept forward 👌

Just to confirm I’ve tried it just now (out shopping with Mrs G 🤣).

Hill hold does not work in Reverse Gear as above - so I had to go from R to D and then keep my foot firmly depressed on the brake for a few seconds before releasing the Brake. Hill hold had then activated 👍and I didn’t roll back - just a dab of acceleration and I crept forward 👌
Haha. Thank you for testing and feedback.
Hope you had a good shopping trip.

I had a very similar scenario, bit of a minor panic. I think it was because the seat belt wasn't done up.

I had a very similar scenario, bit of a minor panic. I think it was because the seat belt wasn't done up.
I had the same happen when moving the car on a slope without my seat belt on. I have a feeling that autohold wouldn't activate until I belted up, but would need to check that.

I’ve noticed if I lightly engage the throttle to adjust when parking it will roll back. My guess is I apply SOME throttle but not enough to outweigh the force required to hold it still, the auto hold stops caring as it’s received manual input. Disconcerting but once you KNOW of it, not a big issue but still sub optimal. Or maybe it’s pulling out of a space when I’ve got back in the car now I think back. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve noticed if I lightly engage the throttle to adjust when parking it will roll back. My guess is I apply SOME throttle but not enough to outweigh the force required to hold it still, the auto hold stops caring as it’s received manual input. Disconcerting but once you KNOW of it, not a big issue but still sub optimal. Or maybe it’s pulling out of a space when I’ve got back in the car now I think back. 🤷🏼‍♂️
At that moment, I didn't dare to press the throttle harder, in case it reverse more, I would have hit the charging point behind. So, I will need to find somewhere to test different possibilities.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back