Road Trips and Motorways and Miles…

I’ve done the same 280 mile trip twice from S York’s to Devon. First time last year tried the A road route, thinking it would be more economical! much longer in time and miles with only 3.8 miles per Kw travelling at around 65 When possible! (3 stops maybe over cautious) took forever!
this year all motorway around 65 mph one stop at 140 miles to top up to 95% and just made it there with a little to spare and same on the way back 4.1 miles per kw. 6hour each way.
The weather was good on both occasion.

I recently did a 1040 miles round trip which was mainly MWay with MG Pilot on. I had no issues with range.

Regen is useful when you are in town or on country roads that are very hilly. When driving on MWays it is almost irrelevant because you are travelling at 70mph and the engine is almost always providing power to the wheels.
Thanks - that is encouraging.

It’s my first longish trip doing 300 miles from London to Cornwall, I am so impressed with the ride, handling, comfort & superb ACC.
From London my SOC is 100% with 242 (eco) mile range, it came down to 208 mile (eco) when I did rapid charge up to 100%, I expect I could get the same range (242 miles) although I know this is the default range for Trophy SR, just wondering how to achieve again the extra 34 mile which I enjoyed for almost 2 months as an “extra bonus” but all changed after hitting the motorway. Any thoughts?

E243AABC-48B8-4E0C-995F-2480E7ED0726.png

C3061F11-0990-443B-B303-EBF4E31377F2.png

I recently did a 1040 miles round trip which was mainly MWay with MG Pilot on. I had no issues with range.

Regen is useful when you are in town or on country roads that are very hilly. When driving on MWays it is almost irrelevant because you are travelling at 70mph and the engine is almost always providing power to the wheels.
Don't agree. Regen is helpfull even on the motorway because at some point you'll always need to slow down. Either because of the traffic or a stupid driver in front of you. If it is not a sudden slow down you need, Regen is taking care of these kind of situations.

It’s my first longish trip doing 300 miles from London to Cornwall, I am so impressed with the ride, handling, comfort & superb ACC.
From London my SOC is 100% with 242 (eco) mile range, it came down to 208 mile (eco) when I did rapid charge up to 100%, I expect I could get the same range (242 miles) although I know this is the default range for Trophy SR, just wondering how to achieve again the extra 34 mile which I enjoyed for almost 2 months as an “extra bonus” but all changed after hitting the motorway. Any thoughts?

View attachment 9979
View attachment 9980
You could try resetting both trip counters see if that helps.

Don't agree. Regen is helpfull even on the motorway because at some point you'll always need to slow down. Either because of the traffic or a stupid driver in front of you. If it is not a sudden slow down you need, Regen is taking care of these kind of situations.
its also annoying because i believe there is regen on acc with the mg5 so it is possible

GOM does not equal how many miles in the 'tank', its a guess based on previous usage. Your range is still the same as it always has been. There never has been bonus miles, its just you were using it in a more efficient way, ie not on motorways, then you did so the guess went down.

As the MG5 has fixed this problem (it used regen to slow down the car under ACC as expected), I'm very optimistic to fix it in a future software update pour my ZS 2022. Even if it's more psychological than real, I don't understand the use of mechanical brake ....

I had the misfortune of traveling from Liverpool to Heathrow last month.

Satnavs, waze & Google maps said 220 miles and 3 hours 30 minutes.

The journey down was 5 hours 45 minutes, with 3 stops (top ups rather full charges) and for the most part at 65 mph excepts for roadworks and traffic. The top ups were to around 75%.

I was in a rush so went faster than I would have preferred.

On the way back, I was in no rush.
So sat my self behind a truck and did 50-55 all yw way home.
Had one stop to take charge from 50%to 100%
Same route as the way down.
The journey took 5 hours 30 minutes.

Due to the charge times, it actually worked out faster to go slower. :-/

While on the drive back I was bored so had a think about it.

Wind resistance can be calculated by taking air density times the drag coefficient times area all over two, and then multiply by velocity squared.
The crucial thing is speed squared .
50x50=2500
70x70=4900.
Almost twice as much energy needed for wind resistance. And that's the bulk of the energy used on the journey

The return journey I was getting 5.3 M/kWh :)

I had the misfortune of traveling from Liverpool to Heathrow last month.

Satnavs, waze & Google maps said 220 miles and 3 hours 30 minutes.

The journey down was 5 hours 45 minutes, with 3 stops (top ups rather full charges) and for the most part at 65 mph excepts for roadworks and traffic. The top ups were to around 75%.

I was in a rush so went faster than I would have preferred.

On the way back, I was in no rush.
So sat my self behind a truck and did 50-55 all yw way home.
Had one stop to take charge from 50%to 100%
Same route as the way down.
The journey took 5 hours 30 minutes.

Due to the charge times, it actually worked out faster to go slower. :-/

While on the drive back I was bored so had a think about it.

Wind resistance can be calculated by taking air density times the drag coefficient times area all over two, and then multiply by velocity squared.
The crucial thing is speed squared .
50x50=2500
70x70=4900.
Almost twice as much energy needed for wind resistance. And that's the bulk of the energy used on the journey

The return journey I was getting 5.3 M/kWh :)
Yep, whichever part of a calculation is squared is the one that matters. It's like kinetic energy, it's half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity, which is why a small bullet can do so much damage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom