Roadside Assistance Tested LV

With Nissan's RAC cover, when I had my Leaf, there was a fair use policy, so first time you ran out, if you had a reasonable excuse, that was ok, second time they might ask a few questions, and I guess third strike out, you'd have to pay for the flatbed to get you home.

With Nissan's RAC cover, when I had my Leaf, there was a fair use policy, so first time you ran out, if you had a reasonable excuse, that was ok, second time they might ask a few questions, and I guess third strike out, you'd have to pay for the flatbed to get you home.
Looks like I was lucky with LV then. I'm not in any rush to run out of electricals again.

I have been contacted by MG just before closing with an update. The car is now fully charged and had 2 updates done, the only update they mentioned was a balance charge update, the car has been test driven and shows no faults. The dealer is now waiting for MG UK to reply to an email about the faults reported to see if they need to do any further investigation or work before returning the car. So all being well i should be able to pick it up tomorrow 😊

Are you aware the car comes with free AA cover? There should be an AA recovery card in your owner's manual pack. The cover is renewed with every annual service at an MG dealer and the first year is included with the car purchase
I didn't have an AA recovery card in my pack. When I asked about this with dealer they said I didn't need one as the AA has a record of vehicles covered

I don't have an AA card but I rang the MG Assistance number, they checked my car registration and they confirmed I was covered.

I wasn't told by the dealer, I think the COVID measures got in the way of the usual handover I would have got, I don't think it was on purpose but I will check the AA cover out. My new eV car insurance with LV has unlimited lifts/recovery for loss of power claims.
Hi MR C if you don’t mind to get I know this was a while back 13 FEB #13 but can you tell me please, This unlimited lifts /recovery for loss of power, did you have to take out LVs breakdown cover out on top of your car insurance cost as I can’t find anything in my LV policy booklet that tells me anything about this benefit
Thank you
Les

Hi Les, I can't remember asking for breakdown separately. I was in the middle of my insurance for my diesel Mercedes then sold it and bought the MG. LV just updated my policy changing vehicle details and they reissued my new policy documents.

It wasn't till I was at the side of the road needing the help, I called LV and they explained my policy had unlimited lifts for loss of power claims, I don't want to test it that many times or be in that situation again. I have gone through my policy document and taken a screen shot for you. It might be worth giving them a call.

Hope this helps,
All the best
lv.jpg

Hi Les, I can't remember asking for breakdown separately. I was in the middle of my insurance for my diesel Mercedes then sold it and bought the MG. LV just updated my policy changing vehicle details and they reissued my new policy documents.

It wasn't till I was at the side of the road needing the help, I called LV and they explained my policy had unlimited lifts for loss of power claims, I don't want to test it that many times or be in that situation again. I have gone through my policy document and taken a screen shot for you. It might be worth giving them a call.

Hope this helps,
All the best
View attachment 2584
Hi mr c thank you very much for this I will be on to them tomorrow I’m doing the same as you just changing from a diesel to the 5 coming tomorrow will let you know how I get on I just remembered your post from feb funny how things stick in you mind I know you get AA cover but nice to have lots of arrows for your bow
Thanks again
Les

Last edited:
I'd still imagine there's a fair use condition, otherwise people would just take the mickey. Not good for the battery either to run it completely flat.

Not good for the battery either to run it completely flat.
I think you will find that battery, though flat as far as the driver is concerned, is not flat as far as the battery is concerned. Li-ion batteries are protected by the vehicle software so as to neither reach a full charge or discharge, to prevent damage to the battery.

Yes, I'm aware there's a buffer. But generally speaking, the advice is to keep to a threshold of between 20 and 80 per cent to prolong the battery. The great thing about the 5 is its decent range. Except in unexpected circumstances, there's really no need to end up on a flatbed. Careful route planning is the name of the game.

Normally that is what 0 to 100% on the vehicles software means.
There’s usually a buffer at the top and bottom of around 3-5% depending on BMS config - nowhere near 40%!. Not that much really. So for example the ZS has a battery pack capacity of 44.5kw - usable about 41/42kw Depending on which figures you read.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom