Rodents ate my car (well not quite but they had a go)

Kentboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
You know your vehicle has a pest problem when you're doing 60 down the motorway and a mouse appears from under the bonnet, sits on the wipers and stares at you through the glass. Turns out the thing had made its home in the pollen filter and done a fair bit of nibbling too.
I pick up my new MG4 this week and I'd like it not to be a mouse home. As well as much eradicating around the garage I'm thinking of installing this.
HONGXIAN Car Vehicle Ultrasonic Mouse Repeller,Under Hood Animal Repeller,Rat Rodent Pest Animal Deterrent,battery operated Mice Repeller, Rodent Scare for indoor, outdoor and garden : Amazon.co.uk: Garden

I've had lots of success with sonar pest repellent devices elsewhere (including against the dreaded rabbits). The question I ask the hive mind here is... does it sound a good idea? The load must be very low since it can also run off three rechargeable AAs. It comes with cables to attach it to the 12 volt battery though. And I would need to work out a way of fixing it inside the bonnet to stop it rolling around. I don't imagine there's a USB socket under the bonnet which would be one way of powering it too.

All advice welcome. And to answer the inevitable question - did I flip the wipers to get rid of them mouse on the motorway? No. Like an idiot I waited till I got home and flew out of the car intending to shoo the thing away.
It ran back down into the bonnet before I could get there.

Rodent damage to the electrical wiring system will be absolutely catastrophic, you need a fix quickly as this will not be covered under warranty, as I am sure you know.
A close friend had a brand new VW delivered and three days later, it would not start.
The recovery people were called and they found that squirrels 🐿️ had eaten through some of the electrical cables under the bonnet.
It is similar situation if they invalid the loft of your house etc.
Apparently, when the insolation for the cables are produced they add vegetable oil in the plastic making process, when installed the rodents can smell this oil in the protective sheathing of the cable and therefore chew and snack on it !.
Cabin filters make brilliant nests for mice etc.
Try and locate the inlet duct for the HVAC system and maybe consider fitting some type of fine gauge mesh over the intake to prevent them getting into the cabin.

This is what they can do picture below is of my sons Tesla Model X middle of last year car was parked back of the river at the 02 arena in London where he works he said when he turn on the car it lit up like a Christmas tree and he took ont the frunk under the bonnet to get at the 12 volt battery and found this mess.Rats
Les

1679405614143.jpeg

Last edited:
This happened to my Mother’s Peugeot, costing around £350 in repairs. She now uses one of these devices Isotronic, which seems to do the trick. Fortunately, there are cats galore on our estate.

Have something similar on order plus a repeller for the car port. Fingers crossed.

This is what they can do picture below is of my sons Tesla Model X middle of last year car was parked back of the river at the 02 arena in London where he works he said when he turn on the car it lit up like a Christmas tree and he took ont the frunk under the bonnet to get at the 12 volt battery and found this mess.Rats
Les

View attachment 16145
Boy that's grim. There should be an option for sonic repellents from the manufacturer

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back