Rolec Charger Question

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,

So the charger's been installed, but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping the collective wisdom on here can help me with:
  • I have downloaded the ev.energy app and set it up, but how does it communicate with the charger? So for example, you set a charge time, how does that get to the charger? I assumed it would be via my wifi network, but it's not. Does the charger have a SIM card (see next question...)
  • The e-mails I received from ev.energy say I have a free 3 year subsciption. To what?
I'm a bit confused, I did get a run through with the charger form the installer, but didn't think to ask these questions at the time....

Thnaks in advance :)

Just been digging on the Rolec site, saw this:
Once installed, these Smart pedestal and wall unit EV charging points automatically connect to a cloud based back office via GPRS or Ethernet and begin relaying charge point information and activity back to the portal - which can then be used for reporting, analysing and preparing statistics.
The accompanying image looks like the ev.energy app

It uses a mobile module and a SIM in the charger.

the subscription is for the EV.energy service (which will pay for the mobile network access).

It uses a mobile module and a SIM in the charger.

the subscription is for the EV.energy service (which will pay for the mobile network access).

Many thanks. Just reading through the Rolec website/catalogue again, it does mention ethernet connection so I'm hoping it's easy to switch when the subscription runs out!

May help, but I think that the app and its back end services (operations, development and maintenance) will need to be paid for somehow.

Hi All,

So the charger's been installed, but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping the collective wisdom on here can help me with:
  • I have downloaded the ev.energy app and set it up, but how does it communicate with the charger? So for example, you set a charge time, how does that get to the charger? I assumed it would be via my wifi network, but it's not. Does the charger have a SIM card (see next question...)
  • The e-mails I received from ev.energy say I have a free 3 year subsciption. To what?
I'm a bit confused, I did get a run through with the charger form the installer, but didn't think to ask these questions at the time....

Thnaks in advance :)
Did you get an email from ev.energy titled ‘Your charger set up is almost complete!’....the email gives instructions to download the app and create an account with the email address you gave your installer.
Once I did this it took a little while and the app connected to my charger...

I do remember that on one occasion I lost connection with my charger and i called the installer. He called Rolec and they couldn’t see my charger either. They asked me to power it off and back on again as they thought that I may have had weak signal coming from the 4g SIM card module inside the charger. Once I cycled the power it came back and they could see it and so could I...worth a try if you are still having problems.

Thanks Sparqz. I'm not having problems as such - I don't have the car yet - I'm just interested in how it all works without an ethernet connection - now I know ;) How do you tell in the app if the app sees the charger? Daft question I know, but it isn't obvious to me after setting up an account in the app and putting my details in. Thanks.

I have a Rolec charger and it is linked with the EV.energy app. It works fine but make sure you have the car and energy company setup correctly under ACCOUNT in the app. I think I am correct in saying that you get the first three years paid for with the charger but after that you have to pay. I am on Octopus GO and can set it to trickle charge from the time I plug in, to keep the car awake, (It goes to sleep if you do not start the charge straight away) it will then kick into full charge at 0030hrs when the Octopus.GO rate goes down to 5p Kwh. This allows me to run the car for about 1.5p per mile when charging from home. You do need to have a smart meter at your house for this tariff of course. There are many other energy company settings in the APP.

I'd like to go on Octopus Go. How long do they take to install the smart meter?
It took Octopus about three months to get around to fitting the meter but that was just before the lock down. I dont know how long it would take now. I changed to Octopus and asked for a smart meter when I was waiting for the car to come. If you are going Octopus it might be a good idea to approach them now.

I am in a fixed rate contract with another company until April so would be ideal if I could have the smart meter installed by then.
I don't know if that is possible tho.

I have a Rolec charger and it is linked with the EV.energy app. It works fine but make sure you have the car and energy company setup correctly under ACCOUNT in the app. I think I am correct in saying that you get the first three years paid for with the charger but after that you have to pay. I am on Octopus GO and can set it to trickle charge from the time I plug in, to keep the car awake, (It goes to sleep if you do not start the charge straight away) it will then kick into full charge at 0030hrs when the Octopus.GO rate goes down to 5p Kwh. This allows me to run the car for about 1.5p per mile when charging from home. You do need to have a smart meter at your house for this tariff of course. There are many other energy company settings in the APP.

Thanks. I've set up the app with everything I can but it looks the same if the charger is powered up or not. Perhaps not having a car connected to it prevents it from connecting - or just looking alive - and I was a bit disappointed to find it operates over the mobile network rather than ethernet. Still, they have to gouge money out of you somehow!

The app communicates with a server at EV.Energy so has to use the mobile network. I agree, I expected the wall box to connect to the internet in my house when it was fitted but that's not the case. You get three years server connection when you purchase the wall box so I will see what they charge at the end of that period. If I do not agree with the charge then the wall box with be used as a dumb charger. The app will not change in appearance until you plug a car in and set the app up, then you will see changes.

I am in a fixed rate contract with another company until April so would be ideal if I could have the smart meter installed by then.
I don't know if that is possible tho.
Why not ask your current supplier to fit a smart meter. You might be lucky.

I believe all providers are obliged to install a SMETS2 meter now, so it works with everyone. Mine was installed by EDF but happily working with Bulb, and when I change it should work with whoever.

You should definitely ask.

I am entitled to a free charger under the MG piece of mind promotion. I was going to have a Rolec charger fitted in my garage off a sub fuse box, but was told that I would need to remove all the other garage electric usages (lights and sockets) as this could overload the cable, because the Rolec does not have auto power balancing. I am now going the alternative Podpoint route as it has auto power balancing and will obviate me needing to lay a new 33m cable from my garage under my gravel driveway back to my main fusebox or have the charger mounted on my house wall.

I am entitled to a free charger under the MG piece of mind promotion. I was going to have a Rolec charger fitted in my garage off a sub fuse box, but was told that I would need to remove all the other garage electric usages (lights and sockets) as this could overload the cable, because the Rolec does not have auto power balancing. I am now going the alternative Podpoint route as it has auto power balancing and will obviate me needing to lay a new 33m cable from my garage under my gravel driveway back to my main fusebox or have the charger mounted on my house wall.
That's interesting, I got my car in the first batch last December, it came with the extra discount and the free wall charger, I was automatically given a Rolec. I dont recall being told there was a choice. However, I park my car outside, not in my garage (It's full of junk!!) so having it on the house wall was my choice anyway. The cable was run from the main input to the primary fuse box which is effectively directly from the house meter. The electrician did tell me that me had to connect it there to comply with the OLEV requirements. He made no mention of power balancing. Maybe others reading this who are having a charge point fitted should take note, it could be a good safety point.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom