Roof barz max weight

NickyJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
As I said in another post looking at upgrading to the gen 2 from gen 1. Looking at Trophy long range.

Just doing quick details check and the website says max weight on roof bars, 0kg! You what!

Is that right?

Googling found me a PDF on the MG site which gives max weight as 75kg.... but also list it as having the sunroof, which I note is also now not coming with the trophy. This points to the trophy now having same roof as SE, which is frankly a deal breaker for me. Was on verge of clicking the button. Guess see what purchase price they offer me at end of lease for my Gen 1, but I can see me just handing back the car unless it is a good offer

Which is same as mine for the Gen 1 I have. Suspect this is another sneaky change with taking away sun roof and reducing cost.... 😞

I can't say I've ever understood the attraction of a sun roof.

Never used it on any of my cars.
I can live without sun roof, however do appreciate it to open up when warm with less road noise than from having windows open, of to provide some balance with kids windows open in back and don't really want mine open. The deal breaker for me is not being able to put roof box on top as the package isn't quite big enough to take holiday luggage and 4 pairs of skis with 4 people in car.

The roof bars are for show only!
Is this correct? I am looking at getting an EV to replace my old Volvo diesel, and with two kids who like watersports and a wife who likes to overpack, a roof box is pretty much a necessity. I read elsewhere that there is a 75kg weight limit, which would be fine as my roof box is rated to max 63kg gross weight.

0kg would be less so...

Roof load is 75kg according to manual. Roof rail is 0 kg on latest spec.

Trophy with sunroof was advertises with roof load of 75kg before July 2022.

There should be an official delivery note stating the load capacity.

There is no compatible foot pack for mk2 ZS EV from Thule website. The design of Thule foot pack can damage roof rail and sunroof easily when tightening. Would that be reason for 0 kg roofbar load and 75kg roofload?

Surely if a roof rail has a 0kg load capacity then it’s not a roof rail? Honestly this will be a deal breaker for me, I need roof capacity.

ZS Trophy was advertised with 75kg roofload by MG.co.uk in March 2022. It was a criteria of my order. I am using roof rail carefully for carrying bicycle.

Gen 2. Trophy long range. 22kg ladders. Absolutely fine.
Make sure your roof bars have a bit of anti-slip rubber in-between the legs. Works perfect

Attachments

• IMG20231201090907.jpg
    IMG20231201090907.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom