Running in ?

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I recall that cars (ICE) used to be required to undergo a 'running in' period when new. This became less so as time moved on with newer cars.
Now we are all moving into a world of EVs' with no engine but an electric motor or two, do we need to consider any 'running in period' of reasonably careful use for a time / miles ?

I recall that cars (ICE) used to be required to undergo a 'running in' period when new. This became less so as time moved on with newer cars.
Now we are all moving into a world of EVs' with no engine but an electric motor or two, do we need to consider any 'running in period' of reasonably careful use for a time / miles ?
Even on later petrol or diesel engines, there was no requirement for running in.

Well, to avoid the risk of overloading the flux capacitors, I won't be spinning off the dealer station when I collect the car. I'll just scuttle about a bit until I feel impulse motors are settled before I engage the warp core and slow down with the warp field condensers.

From the manual for my MG5:

Running-in

The brakes and tyres need time to 'bed-in' and adjust to the demands of everyday motoring. During the first 900 miles, please avoid heavy braking where possible.

I'd imagine the MG4 to be the same.

Well, to avoid the risk of overloading the flux capacitors, I won't be spinning off the dealer station when I collect the car. I'll just scuttle about a bit until I feel impulse motors are settled before I engage the warp core and slow down with the warp field condensers.
Do switch off LKA and Dead Reckoning if nothing else.

Running-in

The brakes and tyres need time to 'bed-in' and adjust to the demands of everyday motoring. During the first 900 miles, please avoid heavy braking where possible.

It is. Page 161 says:

Running-in
The brakes and tyres need time to 'bed-in' and adjust to the demands of everyday motoring. During the first 1500 km, please avoid heavy braking where possible

And heavy braking means HEAVY braking in a car with regen.

Running-in

Yeah, exactly that (well, after the Km to miles conversion!) ☺️

RANpb9dEPd44IK8_CInWfo2xP_uV4oVvq-Sv57ASq9glO5SD0PSnl5Cmp0IPlvTwPknVtgCqkrOy8wxR3jQUQgqUzDoztO5-IAQNm4l1D9O-fMZa16-Hbn7ZSd3msyR0RsYCdesZP_AjSFNtN4M7gcXiiz9W9JdnPU008mpm9yweeonE7K4msTj0lhyC7MP_A5TvqS7gTmARnhIcjF9d6IDvtyDs-grajKvvokQ5OON0fogrMswNatPnun4qr87MdtA10_POBu4rFZZYjK3iLuKvLrnmUvMX6JUT352TA-g1UIuGnFCa_tAvzXV6Y7WwD59ytvPuf28nrWZhtLMiDmOCYDSTv71bdEQFfBJzaNAFK9VT7JqowDkY3CS9gjCHHSTuegMM02oSlRl6U32LddiPCKWB5XEXooFN108NajeBTI9rHfsbVzORvfhE1u4ta6teQALDHb3nL36Wu5Axxbvlij2BwtHP3tGIqkqltXP-fjsYQQp_K88MKRZKuNQCAzIb8rFHCPc_LV5BE67r_iP8K4wWMorP59hVYW2etoe-4uceFYUTwCuj3DBEFFYKkgijWsGjb5_HNzSNosjn_B3kLPZ9rEvZhqCN5vYycvw93z_Ui5RNI20_sMsse9ucHR2h38FT9tekBbMvsp5A8y0vyq_hk27DCgjH2FLIx8eL1t1YacH8Rooxuv8uqwjIXoui5OuVoVq3kcPppr8sgHuyR3vrZTjQDPvSxviGqJjmhErABVd3ScrnT9fhvbN8dbnFhf0HmXvOQ9jHrzYcBYCdY6-Dtx6baVKDCR48zjCwgvDdyTrQk8MDRbANnaxKbYU_7c_NSLixFveGhzVulkTrbYkystPocHeTRGJCuFjN_Vbjb1pNZZJXikPSQ1ZHqU_gHX2WQpjkyCumw3AKE1usvAebwC5nfgYdKazfiOK0rr1YMQ=w1443-h408-no

Edit: D'oh! @Ian Key beat me to it! 😁

You’re pulling my leg aren’t you? You do know they don’t have brushes?
Although Renault / Nissan and BMW are using brushes on a slip ring in their externally excited motors, avoids the use of rare earths. Slightly less efficient but has a wide power spread as you can alter the rotor field as well as the stator.

900 miles avoiding heavy braking?
That’s a recipe for glazed pads.
New pads literally only need a few miles to bed in, I’ve changed enough on cars and bikes to know.
Then just brake any flipping way you like.
Honestly, this ‘cover their backside against litigation’ namby pamby crap does my head in.
“Ooh take it easy for a bit”
“Will do, how long?”
“900 miles..?”
“Haha get f….”

That’s taken and copied from the ICE manual. The main issue with EV brakes is they don‘t get enough use!

That’s taken and copied from the ICE manual. The main issue with EV brakes is they don‘t get enough use!
This is so true.
People actually seem to compete with each other on Leaf forums.
“I’m at 90000 miles on the standard pads”
Yeah….really not something you should pat yourself on the back about mate….

Last edited:
It would be more impressive to see who could get down to bare metal on metal the quickest.

This is so true.
People actually seem to compete with each other on Leaf forums.
“I’m at 90000 miles on the standard pads”
Yeah….really not something you should pat yourself on the back about mate….
My Seat leon is still on it's original front pads at 76k, they're getting a little thin and due for a change now though it must be said.
Rural driving and reading the road ahead without tailgaiting has always resulted in low pad wear in my 30 odd years on the road.
I strip the brakes at least once yearly and give them a good clean and lube, check for friction surface delamination and what have you. OE pads tend to have a long life if not abused though, doubt I'll ever replace the pads in the MG ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back