Running in ?

Except when you've just fully-charged your car, come to a junction expecting regen braking, and say "OH F......................!!!" 😂

Very true.
The Leaf really needed the help of regen when braking hard from high speed, the brakes are dead and awful.
I used to call flipping the gearshift into heavy regen mode just before braking as ‘deploying the chute’

Last edited:
I see a lot of this ‘bedding in’ about brakes. Modern brakes do not need ’bedding in’. The modern materials work well from new.
There should be no discernible difference using the brakes as you drive the car new from the showroom. Yes, if you can the brakes should have a few lighter applications before very heavy application, but for nearly everyone this is the case anyway.
Carbon brakes - now they can be jerky when cold ! But they are meant for the track!
Some EV’s are not configured that well for the transition from regen to friction braking as you apply the foot brake and the brake ‘feel’ is affected- this sometimes causes a jerky effect.
The MG4’s that I’ve driven seem to be set up nicely with a reasonably good brake ‘feel’.

I see a lot of this ‘bedding in’ about brakes. Modern brakes do not need ’bedding in’. The modern materials work well from new.
There should be no discernible difference using the brakes as you drive the car new from the showroom. Yes, if you can the brakes should have a few lighter applications before very heavy application, but for nearly everyone this is the case anyway.
Carbon brakes - now they can be jerky when cold ! But they are meant for the track!
Some EV’s are not configured that well for the transition from regen to friction braking as you apply the foot brake and the brake ‘feel’ is affected- this sometimes causes a jerky effect.
The MG4’s that I’ve driven seem to be set up nicely with a reasonably good brake ‘feel’.

The switch from regen to actual brakes has certainly got better with time in EVs.
The first gen Leaf was really bad, pulling up at the same point every journey needed great practice.
The 2nd gen got better, but the brakes totally lack feel.
The 4 isn’t too bad, although I’d still say brake pedal pressure varies.
EVs must be a pain to race, consistent brake pedal pressure and braking points is key.

I find the MG's brakes very snatchy at low speed, not sure if that will improve as they bed in :unsure:

Snatchy isn’t right, it should be a very easy car to drive smoothly.
Go into our daughter’s 2020 polo by comparison and it’s ridiculous, the slightest pressure has you stotting your head off the wheel.

Well, to avoid the risk of overloading the flux capacitors, I won't be spinning off the dealer station when I collect the car. I'll just scuttle about a bit until I feel impulse motors are settled before I engage the warp core and slow down with the warp field condensers.
Watch those dilithium crystals don't disintegrate!

The switch from regen to actual brakes has certainly got better with time in EVs.
The first gen Leaf was really bad, pulling up at the same point every journey needed great practice.
The 2nd gen got better, but the brakes totally lack feel.
The 4 isn’t too bad, although I’d still say brake pedal pressure varies.
EVs must be a pain to race, consistent brake pedal pressure and braking points is key.
I think using the brakes as well as regen isn't such a bad thing when necessary.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back