Running out of Electricity!

Tight Git

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On my way home this afternoon I stopped to charge at Rugby Moto services to charge for the final 150 miles home. When I returned to the car it was at 78% with a range of 148 miles so I unlocked the car and the charging stopped 😳. Rather than restart a charge thought I would do a final top up at another charger if needed.

Had the car on Eco and turned off the AC which improved the range to 4 miles more than the journey so decided to go for it...

Last 5 miles is uphill but the range said 7 so thought it would be okay. At 2 miles range and 1% battery the car reduced speed considerably to about 20mph. At 0 range and battery it told me to park the car safely, but fortunately I was on a short downhill stretch home so the regen kept it going.

Won't do that again and definitely squeaky bottom time but hopefully helps anyone that also pushes it...

Thank goodness for the downhill stretch and regen breaking! 😅

Reminds me of the time when I would let my petrol tank run down on my daily commute, as I knew my exact mileage. What I didn’t factor in one day was roadworks, with a half hour tailback. Needless to say, I didn’t do that again.

Ha. Yeah... never try that.

I remember one particularly unlucky journey in my Leaf where 3(!) rapid chargers in a row were out of order. In Cornwall, which doesn't exactly have an abundance of chargers as it is (or didn't at the time).

I had a choice - knock on doors until someone let's me plug in a granny lead and then sit there for hours waiting on a useful level of charge. Or try to make it to a fourth charger and pray that one worked. I went for the latter option. Ran out of power about half a mile away. The recovery chap said I was maybe 20 meters from a downhill stretch which would have taken me all of the way :LOL: If it wasn't pitch black on a narrow, windy country road, we might have tried pushing the car to the top of the hill.

Needless to say, waiting two hours in a cold car in the middle of nowhere is an experience I never want to repeat.

On my way home this afternoon I stopped to charge at Rugby Moto services to charge for the final 150 miles home. When I returned to the car it was at 78% with a range of 148 miles so I unlocked the car and the charging stopped 😳. Rather than restart a charge thought I would do a final top up at another charger if needed.

Had the car on Eco and turned off the AC which improved the range to 4 miles more than the journey so decided to go for it...

Last 5 miles is uphill but the range said 7 so thought it would be okay. At 2 miles range and 1% battery the car reduced speed considerably to about 20mph. At 0 range and battery it told me to park the car safely, but fortunately I was on a short downhill stretch home so the regen kept it going.

Won't do that again and definitely squeaky bottom time but hopefully helps anyone that also pushes it...
That's how you are supposed to get home with zero percent saves money ..

Hence my forum name 🤣
Sound perfect to be a Yorkshireman but I like to call it Frugal Finance lol.

I did it going from Leeds to Bolton on the Motorway in a 54 reg Mini Cooper S. I was praying for downhills as the GOM had been saying Zero for longer than even I'd like lol.

Finally managed to pull off and find a place but it cut out just pulling into the forecourt. Had to push it the last 15ft lol

Never pulled it that close again and I don't think my heart could stand it 🤣🤣🤣

Not surprising considering how the speedo is exactly spot on with the GPS speed. Every other car I’ve ever had always over read the speed (apart from an ex police interceptor that had a calibrated speedo).
Yep

Found out to my cost in my previous Kia EV6which was also spot on. Having driven cars for years that over read by about 4mph, tended to adjust my driving to that.. Little mistake and Flash / Ticket.

So now GPS check every car and sure enough the speedo is spot on again, so no more little tolerances.

20221114_185350.jpg
This was the other night when I just managed to get to a free sainsburys charger in Leicester. On the flat A50 from Uttoxeter to Donnington I was managing to get 3.5 to 4.5 miles for every % drop, which is good to know is possible, rather than the usual 2 to 2.5 miles per %

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back