Rust already?!!!

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So I went to see the red Trophy MG4 today and to my shock there is already rust on the wheels?

What's this all about?

20220922_103226.jpg

Probably a reaction to the sea air, the bolts haven't rusted which is a good thing.

Obviously, the aero covers will cover over this in any case.

We just need a source now for a centre cap and wheel nut covers and we can run without the aero covers if we want. Anyone know what size the bolts are?

We just need a source now for a centre cap and wheel nut covers and we can run without the aero covers if we want. Anyone know what size the bolts are?
That's a good shout. I might look at having them painted a darker colour as my🤞SE is black. I've never really been a modder but they might look better in graphite or gunmetal etc.

So I went to see the red Trophy MG4 today and to my shock there is already rust on the wheels?

What's this all about?

View attachment 11061
That has to be a picture of a front wheel 🛞 I think.
That surface rust has formed on the end of the CV joint.
The CV joint will be made from mild steel and therefore rusts really quickly, without any protective treatment applied to prevent this.
The same situation happens when brake disc’s rust, when not in constant use.
Although the MG4 is a new model, these cars could well have been built many months ago and have been just sitting around.
Subjected to moisture / water while standing and while being shipped as well.
If the car had centre caps or the trims fitted, then it would have gone completely unnoticed.
I would not be concerned at all myself.
Back in the day, I spent time working a 6 month stint in a car factory.
While there, they ran into a unexpected shortage of certain interior trim parts ( sounds familiar as today ).
The cars continued to be built, less the trim items and the cars where racked and stacked in long lines, on a huge field next to the assembly plant.
They sat there for weeks and weeks and there ended up being was rows and rows of new, but unfinished cars.
Sitting there in all sorts of weather conditions.
When the parts arrived, they where slowly brought back into the factory and sent through the hard trim department once again.
It was really strange seeing a dirty car joining the clean cars to be finished off !.
Many of these cars had sat so long, that the 12 volt batteries where completely flat and some had no petrol left in their tanks.
A was lucky enough to spend just one day with a team of tech’s, who spent the day getting these cars up and running again.
They where doing this day after day ( two shifts ) for weeks !.
Working in a car factory is a really eye opener I can tell you !.
Like witnessing a car that was about 30 minutes old, get written off when it failed to position itself correctly, when driving over over the wheel alignment pit and ended up wedged down into the bottom of the concrete inspection pit.
A mobile crane was there in 10 minutes and it was used to hoist out the car buy its roof.
What a mess !.

The CV joint will be made from mild steel and therefore rusts really quickly, without any protective treatment applied to prevent this.
Although the MG4 is a new model, these cars could well have been built many months ago and have been just sitting around.
If the car had centre caps or the trims fitted, then it would have gone completely unnoticed.
While there, they ran into a unexpected shortage of certain interior trim parts ( sounds familiar as today ).
The cars continued to be built, less the trim items and the cars where racked and stacked in long lines, on a huge field next to the assembly plant.
They sat there for weeks and weeks and there ended up being was rows and rows of new, but unfinished cars.
When the parts arrived, they where slowly brought back into the factory and sent through the hard trim department once again.
It was really strange seeing a dirty car joining the clean cars to be finished off !.
Many of these cars had sat so long, that the 12 volt batteries where completely flat and some had no petrol left in their tanks.
A was lucky enough to spend just one day with a team of tech’s, who spent the day getting these cars up and running again.
Like witnessing a car that was about 30 minutes old, get written off when it failed to position itself correctly, when driving over over the wheel alignment pit and ended up wedged down into the bottom of the concrete inspection pit.
A mobile crane was there in 10 minutes and it was used to hoist out the car buy its roof.
What a mess !.
It was definately the rear wheel on the drivers side. Sorry didn't take anymore pics

What a mess !.
I love reading your posts “LovemyEV”….. so knowledgable, and whilst some idiots / trolls out here on the internet these days (dare I look at ”AH-OK’? 🤣, actually not even sure if i have that members name correct) it is a welcome rest bite to read such helpful posts.

Thanks

I actually went to see it at my local one but I actually heard today mine has arrived and will be ready for next week pickup.
Care to share your thoughts having seen one in the flesh? Did it match expectations (apart from the rust)

Of course it would be being rear wheel drive, no CV joints at the front until the all wheel drive model arrives.
Sorry folks a complete brain fart on my part !.
Completely forgotten that the MG4 is RWD :eek:.
My thoughts on the minor surface rust is still the same, just got the FWD & RWD incorrect.

I love reading your posts “LovemyEV”….. so knowledgable, and whilst some idiots / trolls out here on the internet these days (dare I look at ”AH-OK’? 🤣, actually not even sure if i have that members name correct) it is a welcome rest bite to read such helpful posts.

Thanks
Thank you @Harry 17 for your very kind comments and I am glad you think there is SOME useful / helpful items included in my posts (y).
There are some very knowledgable members on this forum, of which I do not include myself.
Back story:- I became an almost overnight EV convert after driving, then buying a VW PHEV Golf back in 2015.
Bitten then by the EV bug, I knew my next car would have be a full BEV.
Enter the ZS EV ( Gen1 ) in 2019 and soon finding this forum of course .
For the first time ever in my life, I found myself ordered a car almost totally blind !.
I had never driven a full BEV before or even driven MG ZS fossil before.
Deciding to completely avoided this temptation altogether, as I did not want my opinions of the car to be tainted by driving the ICE model.
The power plant of any car can "Make Or Break" that car on a test drive.
EV driving ( for me anyway ) has become totally addictive and a very hard habit I do NOT want any help curing, thank you 🤣.
I have always had a "first love" relationship in the motor trade, after serving my time many many moons ago.
In March of this year, we where lucky enough to be able to upgraded to the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ).
We have already covered over 6,000 miles already, not bad for a couple of OAP's.
Any spare time, I like to be either driving our EV or trying to expand my knowledge of EV's.
My late farther use to say :- "You are never to old to learn" which is 100% correct of course, but it just takes a bit longer to absorb the knowledge these days 🤣 .
Helping others and sharing any small amount of your knowledge costs absolutely nothing, other than a bit of time and some kind words.
I see new adopters asking the very same questions I had back in 2015.
But there was less EV people around to answer the questions back then.
Unfortunately when the ZS EV was first released, the knowledge base from some dealers was extremely poor, to say the very least.
This forum was set up by Stuart and Miles and was and still is, a real life line !.
The Monday night pod casts, was where members could extend their knowledge base and also get answers to the questions, that some dealers simply did not have.
For this reason alone, we should all be very grateful.
When replying for the call of help, treat each member with respect.
If you can't say nothing nice, then say nothing at all 🤫 that is the way I was brought up as a child.
Remember, there is no "Daft Question" - only the one that does not get asked !.
Take care folks 👏.

Thank you @Harry 17 for your very kind comments and I am glad you think there is SOME useful / helpful items included in my posts (y).
There are some very knowledgable members on this forum, of which I do not include myself.
Back story:- I became an almost overnight EV convert after driving, then buying a VW PHEV Golf back in 2015.
Bitten then by the EV bug, I knew my next car would have be a full BEV.
Enter the ZS EV ( Gen1 ) in 2019 and soon finding this forum of course .
For the first time ever in my life, I found myself ordered a car almost totally blind !.
I had never driven a full BEV before or even driven MG ZS fossil before.
Deciding to completely avoided this temptation altogether, as I did not want my opinions of the car to be tainted by driving the ICE model.
The power plant of any car can "Make Or Break" that car on a test drive.
EV driving ( for me anyway ) has become totally addictive and a very hard habit I do NOT want any help curing, thank you 🤣.
I have always had a "first love" relationship in the motor trade, after serving my time many many moons ago.
In March of this year, we where lucky enough to be able to upgraded to the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ).
We have already covered over 6,000 miles already, not bad for a couple of OAP's.
Any spare time, I like to be either driving our EV or trying to expand my knowledge of EV's.
My late farther use to say :- "You are never to old to learn" which is 100% correct of course, but it just takes a bit longer to absorb the knowledge these days 🤣 .
Helping others and sharing any small amount of your knowledge costs absolutely nothing, other than a bit of time and some kind words.
I see new adopters asking the very same questions I had back in 2015.
But there was less EV people around to answer the questions back then.
Unfortunately when the ZS EV was first released, the knowledge base from some dealers was extremely poor, to say the very least.
This forum was set up by Stuart and Miles and was and still is, a real life line !.
The Monday night pod casts, was where members could extend their knowledge base and also get answers to the questions, that some dealers simply did not have.
For this reason alone, we should all be very grateful.
When replying for the call of help, treat each member with respect.
If you can't say nothing nice, then say nothing at all 🤫 that is the way I was brought up as a child.
Remember, there is no "Daft Question" - only the one that does not get asked !.
Take care folks 👏.
Well that just cements my initial thought of you .

yes, I agree with the podcasts, and I do look forward to them. When, and I believe it will be when, i have something to contribute, I will offer myself up to get on the video stream, and do so. I know the forum owners often offer up places to be part of the pod cast, so that time may come.

rest assured, your input to this forum is invaluable, and I believe I am not alone in knowing that.

when addressing a fellow member with respect……..well you have that nailed on!!!

Some on here, clearly have not had the fortune if your parents upbringing of you!

I could certainly name names, but that would not be A- OK 👍

As for absorbing knowledge, well ….where do I start? I have already posted on another thread, that I will need to start recording conversations with declarers, on my phone, so that I can try to listen toi it later 😁.

not going to reply to every seance from your reply. Rest assured, you are a a massive asset to this forum! 👍🍷🍺

Care to share your thoughts having seen one in the flesh? Did it match expectations (apart from the rust)
Oh yes it's lovely, picking mine up next week. Couldn't take this one for a test drove but I never did with the MG5 and loved it and all the reviews say its far better drove than the MG5 so not much point in trying before I buy.

Well that just cements my initial thought of you .

yes, I agree with the podcasts, and I do look forward to them. When, and I believe it will be when, i have something to contribute, I will offer myself up to get on the video stream, and do so. I know the forum owners often offer up places to be part of the pod cast, so that time may come.

rest assured, your input to this forum is invaluable, and I believe I am not alone in knowing that.

when addressing a fellow member with respect……..well you have that nailed on!!!

Some on here, clearly have not had the fortune if your parents upbringing of you!

I could certainly name names, but that would not be A- OK 👍

As for absorbing knowledge, well ….where do I start? I have already posted on another thread, that I will need to start recording conversations with declarers, on my phone, so that I can try to listen toi it later 😁.

not going to reply to every seance from your reply. Rest assured, you are a a massive asset to this forum! 👍🍷🍺
Get a room you guys 😂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel