Rust Issues

It applies to just about everything, if we start to reject Chinese made cars due to fears regarding rust we may as well reject everything we use on a daily basis including TV's, washing machines, toasters, mobile phones, dishwashers, computers etc.
Just about everything is made in China these days or if assembled in other countries the components come from China.
Even many foods we get from supermarkets come from China even though we are able to produce the equivalent in our respective countries.
It all comes down to price sadly even though we are encouraged to buy food products produced in our own countries whether it be the UK, Australia, US or wherever.
Exactly. This post really ought to read Potential Rust...... because no one has yet identified any areas of rust.

To be fair areas of concern have been identified as potential week points in the 4 regarding rust

To be fair areas of concern have been identified as potential week points in the 4 regarding rust
I am fairly sure they have skimped on rust prevention. The whole car is built to a low cost and they'll have identified areas that need protection and those that don't, rather than doing the whole thing. If they got the balance right, great, but if not...

Whether this is a significant problem or not, time will tell, in the meantime regular cleaning and protective treatments of the underbody area could eliminate a lot of the risk.

No indeed, we "shouldn't have to do this on a £30k car etc..." but people can choose to ignore it until/in case it becomes a problem, depend on the dealer to sort if it does or be proactive. Those are the choices.

The only places I've spotted actual rust are on subframe joints and a stone chip on the roof, but the car is only 10 weeks old.
Wonder if those 1980's plastic body panels on the doors and sills will trap wet mud like they did on hot hatches back in the day.
SAIC have been selling MG badged cars for well over 10 yrs have they not ? Anyone know how their earlier cars are doing corrosion wise ?
Their ICE cars are pretty awful and I never paid any attention to them TBH.

I am fairly sure they have skimped on rust prevention. The whole car is built to a low cost and they'll have identified areas that need protection and those that don't, rather than doing the whole thing. If they got the balance right, great, but if not...

Whether this is a significant problem or not, time will tell, in the meantime regular cleaning and protective treatments of the underbody area could eliminate a lot of the risk.
The penny counting seems to start at the body panel pressing stage. They'll buy in rolls of steel either bare or hot dipped in zinc, the former being cheaper.
The lower spot welded edge of the sills on mine have lost some paint and have a reassuring zinc colour showing through and no rust forming.
The big stone chip I picked up on the roof rusted like hell .

What the protection status is of the panels in between is anybody's guess but with the state of the roads, paint chips a plenty will soon let us know I guess.

@Macadoodle

SAIC have been selling MG badged cars for well over 10 yrs have they not ? Anyone know how their earlier cars are doing corrosion wise ?
Their ICE cars are pretty awful and I never paid any attention to them TBH.

Before buying my MG5 I had a diesel MG6, bought brand new September 2015. When I bought my MG5 my wife sold her (ex-motability) MG3 and took over the MG6. She later sold it (to replace it with a new MG3).

For both "sold" cars (my wife's original MG3 and then the MG6) there was no problem with detectable rust; even paint chips were not rusted through. Based on my experience I cannot say that ICE MG cars exhibited any greater "rust problem" than those of any other manufacturer!

lets wait n see - my previous cars are VAG - never had an issue with rust (in 20 years) - however as I may have noted previously (lets not get on to your 1st car again) my 1st car was an 'MG', an austin allegro - it had more rust holes than a sieve - so far my 6000 mile MG4 (not washed yet), is looking rather good - even the brake discs are still rust free (and better still my car lives under a tree - and bird droppings so far have not damaged it), I'll no doubt find issues when it gets cleaned.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back