Sat Nav Not Loading

stumgev56

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is to save anyone causing more problems to the sat nav than is needed, if your navigation will not load, eg the green bar goes 50% then stops leave it.
This is not the cars fault, due to weather conditions or extreme cold temperatures the signal is not reaching the audio unit.
I know some have been pressing restart in the settings and this if not careful erases the current version and your need to return to a Mg dealer to get it fixed.
Be patient storms affects all makes of cars and radios.

This is to save anyone causing more problems to the sat nav than is needed, if your navigation will not load, eg the green bar goes 50% then stops leave it.
This is not the cars fault, due to weather conditions or extreme cold temperatures the signal is not reaching the audio unit.
I know some have been pressing restart in the settings and this if not careful erases the current version and your need to return to a Mg dealer to get it fixed.
Be patient storms affects all makes of cars and radios.
Hi, that's interesting. I've been searching MG forums and finally found the exact issue I'm having with my 2021 MG HS Essence. I'm in Syd Australia and we do not have extreme cold temps so the issue I'm experiencing is ongoing. My MG Service centre has advised me that there is a software update that is being worked on to fix the issue. They said it will be available Jan 2022. Has anyone else heard of any updates for a fix for this problem?

Not heard of any update but I can attest to the fragility of these units after my car was off the road for 19 days whilst the infotainment unit was reprogrammed.

Hi, that's interesting. I've been searching MG forums and finally found the exact issue I'm having with my 2021 MG HS Essence. I'm in Syd Australia and we do not have extreme cold temps so the issue I'm experiencing is ongoing. My MG Service centre has advised me that there is a software update that is being worked on to fix the issue. They said it will be available Jan 2022. Has anyone else heard of any updates for a fix for this problem?
There has been a MG service bulletin available for ZS EV info head unit in the U.K. for a couple of months now.
I am not sure if it address the Sat Nav problem, but it was released to help stop the head unit from crashing.
The front screen would go black, then sometimes recover by itself.
Other times it would just completely fall on its face and reboot back to the MG logo.
In the U.K. the service bulletin is released under SA0021 I believe.
It is a simple software update that is Installed via a USB stick.
I reported the crashing head unit to my dealer in Jan 2020 and the so called fix, was not released until almost 12 months latter.
Hopefully the new head unit in the face lift model, will prove to be more reliable.
Early reports are suggesting that it is a massive improvement !.

If your satnav unit fails, from experience, Naviextras no longer support the unit. I was lucky enough to get restore files from them when mine threw a wobbly after an upgrade and running those sorted it out (they are car specific). It's usually a simple fix like this but it seems beyond the reach of most dealers for some reason.

I see the last post on this topic was Dec 2021. Well it hasn't gone away. New car collected 31 May Trophy LR. Went to use satnav, selected destination accepted, pressed go, voice came on take first left, screen froze showing location and visible part of route, then nothing. Cancelled route, tried again, same, multiple times, same. Long hold on home button cleared satnav, tried again, same!! Waiting for the dealership to call me back.

I see the last post on this topic was Dec 2021. Well it hasn't gone away. New car collected 31 May Trophy LR. Went to use satnav, selected destination accepted, pressed go, voice came on take first left, screen froze showing location and visible part of route, then nothing. Cancelled route, tried again, same, multiple times, same. Long hold on home button cleared satnav, tried again, same!! Waiting for the dealership to call me back.
There have been many posts on this actually, and if you turn off ‘dead reckoning’ in the menu, your sat nav will work correctly.

Turned off dead reckoning, satnav now working. Thanks for your input.

If your satnav unit fails, from experience, Naviextras no longer support the unit. I was lucky enough to get restore files from them when mine threw a wobbly after an upgrade and running those sorted it out (they are car specific). It's usually a simple fix like this but it seems beyond the reach of most dealers for some reason.
FWIW, I updated my Gen 1 sat nav just last week via naviextras and it went well.
They have updated the application (PC) and now when you plug your USB stick in (after getting the fingerprint from the car) it goes straight to the list of available updates for my car and the latest one was still free. This latest update is just charging points apparently no maps.

FWIW, I updated my Gen 1 sat nav just last week via naviextras and it went well.
They have updated the application (PC) and now when you plug your USB stick in (after getting the fingerprint from the car) it goes straight to the list of available updates for my car and the latest one was still free. This latest update is just charging points apparently no maps.
That's probably why it did not cost anything.

To me it sounds like the only update was for the POI, and these are usually not paid for.

Touch wood , my nav system is fine.

Turned off dead reckoning, satnav now working. Thanks for your input.
My sat Nav loads up the destination and plans a route but then doesn't give directions or seem to follow my car... I am hoping if I try turning off dead reckoning also it may work but where is this setting? TIA

Or use android auto or the iPod one not a fan of apple 😂

Do you mean use Google maps on my phone? If so not much point in having built in sat Nav if you still have to try and look at a phone screen

My sat Nav loads up the destination and plans a route but then doesn't give directions or seem to follow my car... I am hoping if I try turning off dead reckoning also it may work but where is this setting? TIA
Just search for dead reckoning - it's posted a few times. Hopefully one of these works, if not just root about in the settings:
had same issue. Dealership hadn't a clue. However after much perseverance I found the issue. Go to sat nav, then settings, then map features. Turn off "dead reckoning". Then reset info system by pushing down and holding the physical home button not the one on the screen. Hold it till the MG emblem comes back on then release. Hey presto the sat nav will now work
From the Sat Nav map screen press the button with 3 dots.
Then press the button More Settings.
Then press Manage Features.
Slide the slider next to Dead Reckoning to turn it off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom