Sat nav problems entering destination text in English

Fizzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello
I had the R46 update yesterday, hoping this would facilitate a solution, but to no avail!
I still have a problem with the sat nav throwing up spurious foreign text intermittently when I am entering English into the destination box.
I sometimes have to delete this text & symbols several times before it reverts to back to English, Even though the sat nav is set to English.
Anyone know of a fix?
Fizzy

Bump. Can anyone help this member with his multilingual difficulty? It seems to be a unique problem.

For what it's worth I think you need to take the car back to the dealer. It seems to me that the software update may not have been done correctly.

Make sure it says English in the space bar, if not tap the small world icon to the left of the space bar to cycle through the different languages.

Thanks Rolfe
This is the second attempt to fix it at the dealer and they assured me the update would take care of it.

Thanks Ian
1700312553503.jpg
Please see the attached, I did check this first.

This is what happens:

1700312497463.jpg

Bump. Can anyone help this member with his multilingual difficulty? It seems to be a unique problem.

For what it's worth I think you need to take the car back to the dealer. It seems to me that the software update may not have been done correctly.
Hello again Rolfe,
I apologise for the repeated entries I am not very experienced with forums, so wrongly thought I could spread the message across the forum to elicit more responses.
Thanks for your valued assistance, apologies for any confusion.
Fizzy

This looks like Spanish being displayed for English letters entered. The SatNav seems to 'understand' the entered letters just that the display is wrong.

It is wrong. Whether a 12v battery disconnect will reset the issue is not known but can overcome some problems.

Are you touching a 'non-letter' key that could be switching the keyboard?

Or, are you pressing the button longer than necessary - android keyboard keys usually cycle through letter variations the longer you press them?

Thanks Rolfe
This is the second attempt to fix it at the dealer and they assured me the update would take care of it.

Thanks Ian
View attachment 21651Please see the attached, I did check this first.

This is what happens:

View attachment 21652

Hello again Rolfe,
I apologise for the repeated entries I am not very experienced with forums, so wrongly thought I could spread the message across the forum to elicit more responses.
Thanks for your valued assistance, apologies for any confusion.
Fizzy

No problem. One message will be seen, and when the replies start coming in you want them all in the one place.

Also, people can get confused thinking, I'm sure I replied to that, but my reply has vanished.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The infotainment screen language selection is separate to the sat-nav
Open the sat-nav screen.
Tap the search icon
Look at the space-bar on the keyboard
Check it says English
If not tap the small world icon on the left of the space-bar to cycle through the sat-nav languages.

SatNav.jpg

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The infotainment screen language selection is separate to the sat-nav
Open the sat-nav screen.
Tap the search icon
Look at the space-bar on the keyboard
Check it says English
If not tap the small world icon on the left of the space-bar to cycle through the sat-nav languages.

View attachment 21690
Thanks Ian, For the clarity, I hadn't noticed that, I will have a look and see if they both match, do you think the service department would know to look for this? It has been in twice for a fix!
They assured me the update would cure it.

This looks like Spanish being displayed for English letters entered. The SatNav seems to 'understand' the entered letters just that the display is wrong.

It is wrong. Whether a 12v battery disconnect will reset the issue is not known but can overcome some problems.

Are you touching a 'non-letter' key that could be switching the keyboard?

Or, are you pressing the button longer than necessary - android keyboard keys usually cycle through letter variations the longer you press them?
Thanks for your input, I will obviously check this, but think I was entering as normal, as the anomalies appear instantly after touching a selection.

Success!
Solution provided by Saintsman and also suggested by Martinonline. So many thanks to them!
Due to the screen not being that touch sensitive, I think we had become accustomed to the lag and we were touching the text for too long. A quick touch does the job and all is well.
I hope this post may assist others who experience this anomaly.

Good fix!

I usually manage to enter the destination with voice commands, saying: "Navigate to Stanion" or using the postcode. However, it is a bit flaky. The other day I had to say "Dulwich Picture Gallery" three times before it got it . . .

Perhaps it disagreed with your choice of destination? 🤣
Yes, if I'd said 'The Red Lion' it would have taken me straight there! ;)

An important point about using voice control for the satnav is that you can do it whilst driving along. Trying to key this in on the screen is somewhat dangerous.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back