Satnav issues

RoadUser

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was driving from Finchampstead to the Madestki stadium in Reading and after taking a turn, the road disapeared in the satnav and it was like I was driving through a field instead of on Observer Way (see attached) though for a while it was showing the road next to it Greensward Lane; once the road joined the A237 the roads came back on the map. Has anyone come across this issue on the nav where roads are missing? A bit surprised as the road doesn't seem like a new one and you would think the car had the latest maps, being from 2021.

On another note I've notice the Satnav has a habit of deviating from the selected route and sending through the shortest route.

Attachments

• Missing Road.png
    Missing Road.png
    268 KB · Views: 171
If the satnav is the same as the ZS, it might be worth checking if there are map updates available. Other than that, I can only guess the satnav temporarily lost signal.

Lost GPS satellites can cause the car to appear not on the road but off to one side, not sure why a road would disappear though. :unsure:
IIRC you can select shortest route or other options on the nav.

fwiw my ice Soul onboard satnav regularly has me driving where there are no roads, this is because I have to put it into the garage to get it updated and it costs (not a lot). I never bother because I have a good tomtom and the inbuilt satnav maps are out of date long before they are installed.
At least with the MG we can update ourselves free (for the first year).

fwiw my ice Soul onboard satnav regularly has me driving where there are no roads, this is because I have to put it into the garage to get it updated and it costs (not a lot). I never bother because I have a good tomtom and the inbuilt satnav maps are out of date long before they are installed.
At least with the MG we can update ourselves free (for the first year).
Even the latest updates are still a good 6 months out of date though.

I had a look on there, it's already out of date also they want EUR 120 for the privilege!

How do you find out what version the car has?
No, it's free to mg5 owners. I think you have to go via the mg uk site though. I don't remember how I did it and I'm not on the pc to check, sorry.

Last edited:
I think it actually tells you in the manual how to do it.
Or search the forums because others have upgraded theirs.

A wild recollection is a follows:
Register to the naviextras site, download and install the toolbox.
Go into the sat nav and pick the update option.
Plug in an empty usb and it should put the configuration files onto the usb.
Take said usb and return to naviextras toolbox you installed
Follow the menu for updates, i can't remember exactly this but as I've not got the usb plugged in.

Once done go back to your car and plug in the usb, try the car play android auto slot.
Go to the sat nav menu and update.

My mg5 infotainment start up is a lot slower since, i presume as it had more info to work through.
Hope it helps even if it's vague.

If the satnav is the same as the ZS, it might be worth checking if there are map updates available. Other than that, I can only guess the satnav temporarily lost signal.
I see that the MG5 Europe has now been added to the list of updates. I assume that this covers the UK as well. Can anyone confirm this? I will probably gve it a go anyway.

Ok, it's a bit complicated at first but here goes with a warning that this is mostly from memory and might not be perfectly accurate.
Go to Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...
Register or sign in and click on the "Support, customer care link on the left side.
Next page, on the right side, you can download and install the Naviextras toolbox
(one thing I've noticed is it seems not to keep a note that you're logged in so have to relog on each page)
Get a USB stick and follow the instructions in the YT video that biffo posted ^ to load it with your car's info.
Then take it back to the pc, plug it in and run the toolbox, you'll need to log in using the one you created on the website and from there you can get the latest free updates.
Once loaded onto the usb stick, take it back to the car and it will update your maps.

I see that the MG5 Europe has now been added to the list of updates. I assume that this covers the UK as well. Can anyone confirm this? I will probably gve it a go anyway.
UK is still part of Europe but not any more of CEE, it must have the update for it, 😀😀

I did this a few days ago and the process worked but the SATNAV now freezes during startup so doesn't function at all. Repeating the process (new USB drive) makes no difference so the car is now booked into my dealer for them to have a look.
I'd advise not to touch it.

I did this a few days ago and the process worked but the SATNAV now freezes during startup so doesn't function at all. Repeating the process (new USB drive) makes no difference so the car is now booked into my dealer for them to have a look.
I'd advise not to touch it.
I had this on my ZS. Dealer couldn't fix it and really didn't know anything about the update process. In the end I managed to get some restore files direct from Naviextras and that did the trick (they're car specific). I seem to recall that in their e-mails this isn't an isolated issue. Sadly for us though, they no longer support MG satnavs :mad:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom