Say Hello

I am really surprised that they put a 3phase cable in the boot, are all the pins on the plug and socket populated?
As far as I can tell, yes. The model of the cable states 32A 480V. The stock for this particular deal was held at the port until cables could be sourced. Perhaps they could only get hold of 3phase. Not complaining.

Attachments

• cable-femal.jpg
    cable-femal.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 78
  • cable-male.jpg
    cable-male.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 73
Hello!

Salary-sacrifice MG4 arrived last week. I didn't realise I was getting a Trophy; still not sure whether my hand slipped while ordering, or they made a substitution without changing the price. Either way I'm happy.

I greatly enjoyed a smooth 2.5 hour there-and-back to visit the in-laws at the weekend. So much smoother than the ICE Peugeot 2008 I've now sold.

I'm not the main driver in our family - my wife takes the wheel most of the time; we're in disagreement about cruise control. I'm all for banging it on and letting the machine do the work. She'd rather feel in control, and didn't like the MG4's "unexplained" braking when a car cut in front or we gained on a slower car on the motorway. I found it did this less often if I reduced the distance-to-car-in-front control.

Now learning the intricacies of charging. Did 90 minutes on Tesco Podpoint at the weekend, just to learn the ropes. I was surprised to only get 6.5ish kW from a 22kW charger. Now it seems likely I have a single phase cable -- means there's no benefit in a 22kW charger over a 7kW charger, yet it costs more. Lesson learned! Yet it's been hard to find this kind of info.

Also not sure whether it's normal to be getting 6.5ish from a 7kW charger, but that's what seems to happen.

Hello @ukslim !

thank you for sharing, much appreciated!

The issue could be due to the cable, but it could be also due to the system installed in the car.
I am getting a MG ZS EV as well, and I found out that the car comes with 6kW intake, and the 11kW intake is actually an option (when normally comes by default in other cars). You might want to check with your dealer if your intake (not your cable) came with 11kW or not! I am curious.

Welcome fellow new trophy owner @ukslim

Was that 6.5 kW from a 22 kW charger the starting, average or max rate? How full was your battery when you plugged it in?
We only left it connected for 90 minutes or so, and iSmart showed 6.5ish for the whole of that time. I've realised my lead is only wired for single phase. Fine, if I need faster I'll go rapid.

6.6kW is the typical max charge rate on a 7kW cable/charger due to losses. So it sounds normal. A three phase cable would give you 11kW (9.6-10kW after losses) with a 22kW charger, but you'd want a 32A cable so that you still get 6.6kW on a single phase charger.

Hi All, just joined though have been looking at forum for a few weeks.
I ordered a MG4 trophy orange on Dec 6th from Nathaniel cars in bridgend, communication from them very poor, hear nothing unless I initiate it, last bit of info I had was on the 15th April saying car awaiting shipping! I live in hope!

Just used my 3 phase cable at a 22KW CCS public charger. I got 10KW which seems normal but why not 22KW?
The MG4 SE LR & Trophy can only charge at "up to" 11kW on AC.
The only cars currently being sold that can take the full 22kW are the Renault Zoe and Megane & the Nissan Ariya.

Hello to everyone.
We are new to the EV world....actually we don't pick our car up until next Monday.
In some ways we have Mr Tesla to thank, when we were looking at the end of last year for a nearly new MG5 they were out of our price range, but his tinkering with his car prices seems to have sent the price of EV's down. Managed to get an 8 month old car at a fraction of what it was last year.

Took early retirement just over a year ago and now have a little Westie to keep me company while my wife works. The flexibility of the MG5 is what drew us to it.
Looking forward to the EV adventure that awaits.

Hello to everyone.
We are new to the EV world....actually we don't pick our car up until next Monday.
In some ways we have Mr Tesla to thank, when we were looking at the end of last year for a nearly new MG5 they were out of our price range, but his tinkering with his car prices seems to have sent the price of EV's down. Managed to get an 8 month old car at a fraction of what it was last year.

Took early retirement just over a year ago and now have a little Westie to keep me company while my wife works. The flexibility of the MG5 is what drew us to it.
Looking forward to the EV adventure that awaits.
Great choice of car, is it the LR face-lift?

"Took early retirement just over a year ago and now have a little Westie to keep me company while my wife works. "

Is that one of these or one of these?

I know which I'd sooner have...

Great choice of car, is it the LR face-lift?
No, it's the pre facelift model, really like the look of the new one though. The car was extremely well priced which helped convince us to make the move to electric.

Just used my 3 phase cable at a 22KW CCS public charger. I got 10KW which seems normal but why not 22KW?
Next stage in my test programme (and education) - I connected the 3 phase cable to my ZAPPI and set FAST charge - screen showed 7.2KW coming in from the grid (house battery now empty) but only 4.6KW going to the car. I stopped the charge and connected the single phase cable. This instantly started charging at 7.7KW. What am I missing in terms of understanding how cables work?? Confused at the moment. 3 phase works faster with public AC 22KW charger but slower with home wall charger??

Next stage in my test programme (and education) - I connected the 3 phase cable to my ZAPPI and set FAST charge - screen showed 7.2KW coming in from the grid (house battery now empty) but only 4.6KW going to the car. I stopped the charge and connected the single phase cable. This instantly started charging at 7.7KW. What am I missing in terms of understanding how cables work?? Confused at the moment. 3 phase works faster with public AC 22KW charger but slower with home wall charger??
Hi, is it a 32A or 16A 3 phase cable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom