Say Hello

32A allegedly - I'll check the packing - just arrived - might it say on the cable itself?

32A allegedly - I'll check the packing - just arrived - might it say on the cable itself?
Well spotted - just checked and it's 16A stamped on the connector. Not what I ordered. Back for an exchange.

Here are photos of the connector and cable

Attachments

• 16A Cable.jpg
    16A Cable.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 16A Connector.jpg
    16A Connector.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 99
Hello to everyone.
We are new to the EV world....actually we don't pick our car up until next Monday.
In some ways we have Mr Tesla to thank, when we were looking at the end of last year for a nearly new MG5 they were out of our price range, but his tinkering with his car prices seems to have sent the price of EV's down. Managed to get an 8 month old car at a fraction of what it was last year.

Took early retirement just over a year ago and now have a little Westie to keep me company while my wife works. The flexibility of the MG5 is what drew us to it.
Looking forward to the EV adventure that awaits.
Hi and welcome. Give us a wave if you see me around town....not that you would know who I was though :ROFLMAO:

Here are photos of the connector and cable
This is a 16A cable and 16A connector.

2.5mm2 is required for 16A.
6mm2 is required for 32A - much thicker and heavier.

With a 3-phase cable, if it is 16A then that's the most each phase can take, so if you connect to a 7kW wall charger you'll typically be limited to 3.3kW as that's all one phase can handle.

If you are comparing to a single phase cable, they are almost always 32A, so will give you around 6.6kW.

(These figures are approximate, taking losses into account and are the energy going into the car, not the input reported on the Zappi).

I am not quite sure how you would have got a figure of 4.6kW on the Zappi, seems a bit high, maybe the charger is over-driving the 16A cable or the losses are higher in this situation?

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum.
There is loads of info on here just use the search bar or post a question.
Happy motoring

Hello, picked up my first EV, an MG4 SE Long Range just over a month ago. Very much a newbie to the EV world, but had my eye on the MG4 for a while. Easily convinced my family that it was a good purchase. It was a no brainer compared to buying the equivalent ICE car. Found this forum, and have to say it's been a great source of knowledge. Thoroughly enjoying the MG4 so far, and getting the hang of using the various charging networks around the UK.

Hello, picked up my first EV, an MG4 SE Long Range just over a month ago. Very much a newbie to the EV world, but had my eye on the MG4 for a while. Easily convinced my family that it was a good purchase. It was a no brainer compared to buying the equivalent ICE car. Found this forum, and have to say it's been a great source of knowledge. Thoroughly enjoying the MG4 so far, and getting the hang of using the various charging networks around the UK.
Hi dsimpkins, and welcome to the forum as you say lots of information about lots of topics, and of course the podcast you can catch up on on YouTube, also if you stuck on anything do a search first and if you can't find what your looking for don't be afraid to ask no matter our stilly or complex it might be, someone here will have an answer to all your question so as I said Welcome.
Les

Last edited:
Been a signed up lurker on here for months, thought I should introduce myself.
I am 64 years old and work part time driving a minibus for people who have special needs.
My wife has mobility issues so a higher vehicle is a benefit for her therefore we have a MG ZS SR in Blue which was bought from Chorley group In Burnley.
Got it last November and done a little over 2500 miles since then, mostly local in West Yorkshire but with trips to Llandudno, Whitby (x2) and Keswick in that time.
Love the car and had no issues so far (is that tempting fate?) and are preparing for a trip to Sheringham in North Norfolk (via an overnight stopover in Spalding on the way down) soon.
Other trips planned are to Llandudno again with friends, Whitby again, have other friends who live in that area, and a week in Seahouses, Northumberland in September.
Mainly charge at home but have generally used Instavolt when on trips with no issues (tempting fate again?). Home charging is with OVO on their Charge Anytime plan so don’t mind paying more on the occasional trip

wrong quote !!
Hi, there, We did a trip to that part of the world, (Cromer) a couple of years ago and chargers were hard to find. It looks a little better now thankfully but still not a great area.
We used the Instavolt chargers at Kings Lynn (Starbucks or McDs) on the way there and back to fill up for the rest of the journey.
Have a good time, lovely around there.

Hi all
Thank you to those who have welcomed me and suggested charger locations.
I am currently in Sheringham having stayed at Spalding last night. Topped up on Instavolt at McDonalds whilst there and currently have over 60% still available so have options.
Will post details of trip (once home) in a new thread

Hi all
Thank you to those who have welcomed me and suggested charger locations.
I am currently in Sheringham having stayed at Spalding last night. Topped up on Instavolt at McDonalds whilst there and currently have over 60% still available so have options.
Will post details of trip (once home) in a new thread
Welcome to Norfolk, if you fancy doing something very English whilst here there is a fete on in a village called alborough today. Also whilst you are in Norfolk make sure you have a pint and some food at the Gunton arms it's fantastic and well worth the drive.

I drive a grey trophy so give me a wave if you see us.

Welcome to Norfolk, if you fancy doing something very English whilst here there is a fete on in a village called alborough today. Also whilst you are in Norfolk make sure you have a pint and some food at the Gunton arms it's fantastic and well worth the drive.

I drive a grey trophy so give me a wave if you see us.
Drinking and driving 🤔🍺.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom