Say Hello

20230430_164900.jpg

Dave. 🙂👍

Hi y'all 🖐️

I'm Dave from the pointy end (Cornwall) and have owned a 30kwh Kia Soul for 4 years, taking it from 14k to 45k miles with not a single issue, not even a squeak, amazing car. Every 6 weeks I do a 500+ mile round trip in it to see me dear old ma in the Midlands, 4 - 5 charges each way.

As time (and tech) marches on the time has come to trade in, as it turns out, for an MG4 Trophy, in red. Was going to go for orange but remembered I'm 63 next month and I didn't want folks looking at this amazing bright orange hot hatch (as far as they know 😉) and then the clichéd 'old bloke' climbs out.... so I'm going for a nice sedate red instead.

Popping into the dealers later on today to order it and take one for a test drive, see if it fits in the garage. An singly enough my Wallbox charger was installed in the garage for the Soul (front centre charge port) and due to the garage being such a 1970s tight fit, the charger is located diagonally opposite from where the MG4's charge port will be!! :unsure:

Anyway, that's all for now. Hope I don't regret swapping from the incredibly reliable Soul. Lots of questions to follow and forum searching to be done, no doubt. 😁👍
tenor.gif

Welcome aboard the fun bus!

Been on the forum for a few days now, so a bit late, but...Hi, everyone!
Picked up a second-hand MG4 Trophy LR on Saturday - great price, 4 months old, 1500 miles on the clock.
First EV, first automatic we've owned (but quite used to hire cars on holiday with automatic), loving it so far.

Been on the forum for a few days now, so a bit late, but...Hi, everyone!
Picked up a second-hand MG4 Trophy LR on Saturday - great price, 4 months old, 1500 miles on the clock.
First EV, first automatic we've owned (but quite used to hire cars on holiday with automatic), loving it so far.
20230430_164900.jpg

🙂👍

Hello. I bought a brand new MG4 Long Range Trophy. It is a Medal Silver. The interior design is black. I will have the vehicle at the end of the February. I hope I can be active in the forum. I wish everyone a good driving experience. Thank you.
20230430_164900.jpg

🙂👍

Hello. I bought a brand new MG4 Long Range Trophy. It is a Medal Silver. The interior design is black. I will have the vehicle at the end of the February. I hope I can be active in the forum. I wish everyone a good driving experience. Thank you.

Welcome! We have some other members in Turkey who also have MG4s.

Hello again. I got my MG4. Thanks to this forum, I solved the tire pressure problem with 37 psi. Many thanks.

I've driven many cars. The driving dynamics of the car satisfied me.
My biggest fear was the car's suspensions. I haven't had the opportunity to drive in difficult road conditions before the purchase. But I really liked the suspensions.
However, there is no passenger seat height adjustment in my car. Going back and forth. That's it.

These are my initial observations.

Hello,

How did I get into the world of electric vehicles? Pretty young, I discovered that tinkering with 220v in a washing machine while it's still on can give quite a shock. Then, when renovating our house and deciding to switch everything to electric with a water-to-water geothermal heat pump 10 years ago. After that, it was while selling electric-assist bicycles that I discovered electric mobility ⚡👍. I then acquired an electric road bike, an electric mountain bike, a small electric vehicle, and in a few days, a big kid's toy. 😅

What drives me towards the world of electric vehicles? Curiosity, a thirst for discovery, the paradox of my pro-ecology actions, and my passion for automobiles, even gasoline-powered ones (to the bonfire 🔥).

Who am I? Woodpecker, of course! A guy who loves to tinker with wood. A poet! 🤣 With forty plus three years this year. A hyper-tolerant wife for 20 years and an adorable teenager (yes, they do exist 😅). We live happily on the west coast between Vendée and Charente Maritime.

Our vehicle? Um, which one? 😇 Okay, the one that runs on electrons. To be honest, it's still at the dealership; I'll pick it up next week. It's a bit like the woodpecker, with green plumage and a beautiful orange crest, um no, orange accents. 😊 Okay, it's easy to guess, an MG4 Xpower Hunter Green 435hp. Let's agree that just writing it down is ridiculous. Who puts 435hp and 600nm in a 4.3m car that makes no noise 🤣.

Why the MG4 Xpower? I must admit, I don't have the answer either... When it was launched, I found the MG4 nice, but I was driving a sports car with a combustion engine, and the vehicles I tested didn't excite me. Ionic 28, I3 94, Soul EV... Only the Honda E I tried 2 years ago appealed to me. Great chassis for a small EV but too short range, I needed at least 175km all year round for the Honda E to appeal to me. So since then, I had set my sights on a Renault Sport chassis... The Twizy 🤣 Don't laugh, the Twizy chassis is amazing! It's like a kart in the corners of industrial zones when launched at 80km/h. And in the rain, it's even more fun, even though it rains as much inside as outside on a daily basis. It's a four-wheeled motorcycle. Anyway, I switched to an immature child's toy. Yes, no mature man buys an Xpower, despite what he may think, every owner remains a big child whose pleasure outweighs reason outrageously. And I plead guilty 😇. Twenty test videos, three forums including one German and one English later, I decided to make an appointment with my wife at MG. She senses it's to buy a toy, she knows me. So it's not orange, not blue, not red... That green is nice, sporty but not too much... Yes, but it remains comfortable, it's not like my 21-year-old Mini R53 JCW, which is quite stiff, or the GT86 I drove for two years but too annoying for daily use. It's more like my former DS3 cabriolet Racing, with comfortable upholstery and a softer suspension, not like the Opel Speedster with which I experienced crazy stories (great chassis, by the way). Not like my old Opel Adam S Recaro, fun but underpowered and quickly boring. Not like the dozen other vehicles I've had but whose sporting or automotive interest is less appealing.

Alternatives considered? The list is highly heterogeneous and without coherent links, it's the rest of my automotive wish list in reality. The ones I dream of having and might have one day or not. So a few weeks ago, I almost fell for a fully spec'd Abarth Biposto with a dog box gearbox. I saw it when it came out, missed it twice around 42,000€, but it's still a 500 in use and comfort, it's stiff and annoying. Yet what a stroke of genius this car is. The Abarth 124 or the MX5 ND were in my top picks in recent weeks. But the test drive of the MX5 ND 1.5 that I enjoyed didn't quite excite me either. It's a great car, but I realized I was reaching a turning point. Combustion engines were starting to bore me. Oh, if the Yaris GR, it will remain in my top 5 cars to drive. So yes, between punitive policies and hefty penalties, my savings are going to China and a bit to France with VAT, my dealer's margin, and 0% bonus paid by the state, so I feel less "guilty". In this case, MG gave me a €7,000 discount, which is still crazy for a new model.

My driving profile? Driver, yes, even though I have a few track outings (and trips into gravel traps 😅) under my belt, I'm a driver, not a pilot. So over the years, it's been more relaxed, with the occasional pleasure within the limits of regulations. I don't like pure speed, more the accelerations, technical sequences, or complex corners. Feeling the trajectories, the placement of the car...

My motivation to join you? To participate a bit after so many years of reading your discussions. I like forums even if they're sometimes a bit too harsh for me. I appreciate both a 4-ton pickup driver and an electric bike or scooter user because we're all right, and it's by trying to understand the reasons of others that I believe we flourish.

What's next? Pick up the future beautiful green car, sell a few toys, drive and discover its characteristics on a daily basis. Share what I can and how I can. Meet a few members, and continue to enjoy all the automotive pleasures around me.

And do a stage at Ladoux track in Xpower to discover this wet track that so many people talk about in France. 😍

See you later, WP

Hello,

How did I get into the world of electric vehicles? Pretty young, I discovered that tinkering with 220v in a washing machine while it's still on can give quite a shock. Then, when renovating our house and deciding to switch everything to electric with a water-to-water geothermal heat pump 10 years ago. After that, it was while selling electric-assist bicycles that I discovered electric mobility ⚡👍. I then acquired an electric road bike, an electric mountain bike, a small electric vehicle, and in a few days, a big kid's toy. 😅

What drives me towards the world of electric vehicles? Curiosity, a thirst for discovery, the paradox of my pro-ecology actions, and my passion for automobiles, even gasoline-powered ones (to the bonfire 🔥).

Who am I? Woodpecker, of course! A guy who loves to tinker with wood. A poet! 🤣 With forty plus three years this year. A hyper-tolerant wife for 20 years and an adorable teenager (yes, they do exist 😅). We live happily on the west coast between Vendée and Charente Maritime.

Our vehicle? Um, which one? 😇 Okay, the one that runs on electrons. To be honest, it's still at the dealership; I'll pick it up next week. It's a bit like the woodpecker, with green plumage and a beautiful orange crest, um no, orange accents. 😊 Okay, it's easy to guess, an MG4 Xpower Hunter Green 435hp. Let's agree that just writing it down is ridiculous. Who puts 435hp and 600nm in a 4.3m car that makes no noise 🤣.

Why the MG4 Xpower? I must admit, I don't have the answer either... When it was launched, I found the MG4 nice, but I was driving a sports car with a combustion engine, and the vehicles I tested didn't excite me. Ionic 28, I3 94, Soul EV... Only the Honda E I tried 2 years ago appealed to me. Great chassis for a small EV but too short range, I needed at least 175km all year round for the Honda E to appeal to me. So since then, I had set my sights on a Renault Sport chassis... The Twizy 🤣 Don't laugh, the Twizy chassis is amazing! It's like a kart in the corners of industrial zones when launched at 80km/h. And in the rain, it's even more fun, even though it rains as much inside as outside on a daily basis. It's a four-wheeled motorcycle. Anyway, I switched to an immature child's toy. Yes, no mature man buys an Xpower, despite what he may think, every owner remains a big child whose pleasure outweighs reason outrageously. And I plead guilty 😇. Twenty test videos, three forums including one German and one English later, I decided to make an appointment with my wife at MG. She senses it's to buy a toy, she knows me. So it's not orange, not blue, not red... That green is nice, sporty but not too much... Yes, but it remains comfortable, it's not like my 21-year-old Mini R53 JCW, which is quite stiff, or the GT86 I drove for two years but too annoying for daily use. It's more like my former DS3 cabriolet Racing, with comfortable upholstery and a softer suspension, not like the Opel Speedster with which I experienced crazy stories (great chassis, by the way). Not like my old Opel Adam S Recaro, fun but underpowered and quickly boring. Not like the dozen other vehicles I've had but whose sporting or automotive interest is less appealing.

Alternatives considered? The list is highly heterogeneous and without coherent links, it's the rest of my automotive wish list in reality. The ones I dream of having and might have one day or not. So a few weeks ago, I almost fell for a fully spec'd Abarth Biposto with a dog box gearbox. I saw it when it came out, missed it twice around 42,000€, but it's still a 500 in use and comfort, it's stiff and annoying. Yet what a stroke of genius this car is. The Abarth 124 or the MX5 ND were in my top picks in recent weeks. But the test drive of the MX5 ND 1.5 that I enjoyed didn't quite excite me either. It's a great car, but I realized I was reaching a turning point. Combustion engines were starting to bore me. Oh, if the Yaris GR, it will remain in my top 5 cars to drive. So yes, between punitive policies and hefty penalties, my savings are going to China and a bit to France with VAT, my dealer's margin, and 0% bonus paid by the state, so I feel less "guilty". In this case, MG gave me a €7,000 discount, which is still crazy for a new model.

My driving profile? Driver, yes, even though I have a few track outings (and trips into gravel traps 😅) under my belt, I'm a driver, not a pilot. So over the years, it's been more relaxed, with the occasional pleasure within the limits of regulations. I don't like pure speed, more the accelerations, technical sequences, or complex corners. Feeling the trajectories, the placement of the car...

My motivation to join you? To participate a bit after so many years of reading your discussions. I like forums even if they're sometimes a bit too harsh for me. I appreciate both a 4-ton pickup driver and an electric bike or scooter user because we're all right, and it's by trying to understand the reasons of others that I believe we flourish.

What's next? Pick up the future beautiful green car, sell a few toys, drive and discover its characteristics on a daily basis. Share what I can and how I can. Meet a few members, and continue to enjoy all the automotive pleasures around me.

And do a stage at Ladoux track in Xpower to discover this wet track that so many people talk about in France. 😍

See you later, WP

Do me a favour pal, and put a bit more effort into your posts.
Thanks Awfully.

Great first post 👍🤣

Welcome!

Looking forward to ALL your future posts regarding arguably the fastest colour of all the X Powers!
Racing Green!

Seems odd that they have different names for the colour depending on the country.

Start here if you like when you get your new car.

Thread 'MG4 X Power Roll Call.' MG4 X Power Roll Call.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm Claudio, native Italian, moved to the Netherlands a couple years ago. The newest car I've had is a diesel 2004 Honda Civic that served me egregiously, but it's almost time to put her to rest. Been looking at different brands and models for a while. Always loved the Toyota CHR design, but it's a bit too expensive for my pockets and a bit too cramped for a family of 4, including a tall teenager. Toyota Yaris Cross, Kia Niro, Peugeot 2008, Hyundai Kona... considered all of these, still could not find the right one. Then I discovered the MG4, very nice design, good specs and attractive price. But the wife doesn't like coupés, she wants a SUV, so we checked the ZS. Will have a test drive next week, and if all goes well I will order it and get it in a couple months (hopefully).
In the meanwhile I'm here to learn all I can about this car, the good things and especially the shortcomings, what I need to be mindful of. Nice to meet you al!

Hi,

Martin from Denmark, owner or leaser of an MG ZS EV LR since october 2023. It's the first EV in our family and the general sentiment is joy. Coming from a shamed-by-taxes diesel engine 7-seater, the cost per km|mile in the MG is extremely low! We have little experience with longer trips, but it's not as nerve racking as we thought, being used to 1000+ km per tank full of very very wrong diesel.

Anyway, I like the MG car. I think there's a lot of room for improvement especially on the drivers assist side, and the winter was unusually could and snowy, which definitely gave some regrets to the lack of heat pump. But it's also room to grow and if they get it right like they did most things there's a potential for a long stay for the Chinese in Europe.

1710601242238.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! So glad to hear you're loving the car. I think a lot of things are in flux at the moment, software needing to be more stable, people wondering about new, longer-range, cheaper batteries and so on. But if you want to get on the train you have to decide when to jump!

It's just a different mind-set. If you are charging at home and never exceeding the range of the car for every-day use then you don't have to worry about not having 1,000 km in the tank. If you're on a long trip the infrastructure everywhere is getting better and better, and you soon learn how to manage it and enjoy the (relatively short) charging stops.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom