Say Hello

Hi, I'm Jean-Loup, I live in the southern suburbs of Edinburgh. I've been an MG4 SE LR (the pretty blue one) owner for a year now after a decade of looking for an EV I could afford. I love the car but it does have its quirks for sure. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of months now, I thought it was time for me to finally register.

There is a growing number of MG4s in my area, not sure how many are in this forum.

Hi, I'm Jean-Loup, I live in the southern suburbs of Edinburgh. I've been an MG4 SE LR (the pretty blue one) owner for a year now after a decade of looking for an EV I could afford. I love the car but it does have its quirks for sure. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of months now, I thought it was time for me to finally register.

There is a growing number of MG4s in my area, not sure how many are in this forum.
20230430_164900.jpg

🙂👍

Welcome. I live not far from you and may have seen your car. I'm aware of a couple of other blue SEs lurking around, and I think the other belongs to @alix of this parish.

I don't see that many though, still. Someone else just joined who lives in Penicuik!

Welcome. I live not far from you and may have seen your car. I'm aware of a couple of other blue SEs lurking around, and I think the other belongs to @alix of this parish.

I don't see that many though, still. Someone else just joined who lives in Penicuik!
If you drive up and down the A702 regularly to Edinburgh then yes you've possibly seen me around commute times.

I have seen a few other MG4s around Penicuik but on my commute nowadays it's almost daily that I notice one, mostly whites.

Yes, my car practically wears a groove in the A702. I think, young as he is, he could probably drive it himself by now.

I've noticed a blue SE whose number doesn't begin with SL as mine (and I presume Alix's, same dealer) does, a couple of times. Might be you. Once at the new Mauricewood roundabout I think, and once closer in to the city centre when I was actually in a bus that was following the car, having parked Caliban in Morningside. There was a "hey, who pinched my car!" moment there.

I saw a white Trophy in the car park of Tesco in Penicuik last year some time, and exchanged a few words with the owner.

I'm afraid mine starts with SL as well which means we probably all got ours from the same dealership in Newbridge.

The mystery deepens! Or maybe it was Alix. I didn't get a look at the number plate, but there's a blue SE roaming around with a number beginning with M or N.

Unless it's a blatant vanity plate like a Tesla I saw on Saturday which made no sense, I'm not likely to remember it. I'll keep an eye out for future encounters though ;)

I was just going by the first two letters. But now we know there are three blue SEs with SL plates roaming around Edinburgh and to the south - me, you and Alix.

That only goes up to Feb 2030 ... doesn't the current scheme work all the way up to the 99 reg plate? (Feb 2050, so a new scheme would be needed from 01-Mar-2050).

Or is that covered by the comment below the table? "This pattern will continue until all possible variations have been used"

That only goes up to Feb 2030 ... doesn't the current scheme work all the way up to the 99 reg plate? (Feb 2050, so a new scheme would be needed from 01-Mar-2050).

Or is that covered by the comment below the table? "This pattern will continue until all possible variations have been used"
Probably the latter, unless they decide to shift to barcodes or something.

"Police emergency, how may I help you?"
"There's a car driving erratically on the M25"
"What's the reg plate please?"
"Line, space, thick line .........."

🥴😂

The first 2 letters of a current-issue plate tell you where it was registered.
SL is Edinburgh.
See here (PDF link)

Yes. That's why my car, @jeanloup's car and @alix's car (all bought from the same dealer located to the south-west of Edinburgh) are unremarkable, but the car with the N or M plate is a mystery.

Yes. That's why my car, @jeanloup's car and @alix's car (all bought from the same dealer located to the south-west of Edinburgh) are unremarkable, but the car with the N or M plate is a mystery.
That's Edinburgh too. It's covered by all plates starting SK to SO
Maybe they bought from Arnold Clark's?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom