Say Hello

Worth a try?
1628255913434.jpeg

Hi all.
My previous electric vehicle experience is limited to bumper cars and a robotic lawnmower. Really wanted a Big Trak as a kid but never got one.
Finally taking the plunge with an MG5. I came to this forum for the 'balanced' view (i.e. the warts and all honest negative side) - all the reviews were fairly positive so I thought I'd find people discussing (and sorting) all the common problems here. Seems you all love it too!
Found some great advice on here as a lurker though, so now it's time to join the party!

Welcome, you may find a few negative comments but that's to get things sorted out.
It is a great car to drive.

I decided to downsize from my RR Velar, but wanted an estate so the MG5 was the only option. Tried one, impressed, ordered one. I suspect I shall get some ribbing from my chums in the classic car world at getting an MG - they'll expect me to start wearing a flat cap and string-backed driving gloves !

I decided to downsize from my RR Velar, but wanted an estate so the MG5 was the only option. Tried one, impressed, ordered one. I suspect I shall get some ribbing from my chums in the classic car world at getting an MG - they'll expect me to start wearing a flat cap and string-backed driving gloves !
Hi barney I don’t normal vist this part of the forum as I’m a 5 owner already but welcome onboard I’m am sure you will get on nicely with the 5 I trust you know there’s a new long range just about to go on sale is that for you have ordered?
Also I wouldn’t worry about your chums ribbing you just show them the ribs on you wallet as it fills up with the money you will be saving by getting shut of the RR to date I’m 5 months in with my 5 around 5000 miles and almost £500 pound better off than I would had been in my skoda Superb estate also just in case you don’t know there is a section on this forum for on the MG5 with loads of information and lots of podcasts on YouTube at MGEVs to enjoy
Les

Last edited:
Hi barney I don’t normal vist this part of the forum as I’m a 5 owner already but welcome onboard I’m am sure you will get on nicely with the 5 I trust you know there’s a new long range just about to go on sale is that for you have ordered?
Also I wouldn’t worry about your chums ribbing you just show them the ribs on you wallet as it fills up with the money you will be saving by get shut of the RR to date I’m 5 months in with my 5 around 5000 miles and almost £500 pound better off than I would had been in my skoda Superb estate also just in case you don’t know the is a section on this forum for on the MG5 with loads of information and lots of podcasts on YouTube at MGEVs to enjoy
Les
Thanks Les; yes it is a Long Range that I'm getting - I particularly wanted the MG Pilot, more so than the extra range actually. I do have a couple of petrol classics as well so I can still get my fix of petrol fumes when needed ;-)

Hi , looking at getting a new mg5 as at the moment I drive a vauxhall antara, need space as I have 2 greyhounds that like to go on road trips. Is there anything to look out for

Are you looking at the new long range one or happy with 214 miles?
I have a standard 5 but getting in the order of 230 miles range, based on estimated range left plus distance already done. Most driving is durdling round the roads of Norfolk, which probably helps a bit.

Can be scary at times. Some of the tractors and combines you meet on country lanes round here are sodding enormous.

Hello all,

End of August I finally got the deal I wanted and have placed a deposit for MG5 LR Exclusive and joining #TeamRed
Bought using the affinity scheme so that and with the P/X along with the pilot system were all boxes that helped me sign on the dotted line.

So now the waiting game with a quote of mid to end of November.

Already got so many tips both here and Facebook with the various groups so a huge thank you to those who take the time to post and share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Picked up my MG5 Long Range yesterday, it’s been a long wait since ordering mid July. Been lurking/commenting in that time & think I’ve watched every MG5 and ZS EV YouTube video!

Car will be getting front and back window tints this week (dogs and kids like the privacy and UV filtering) along with a set of Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED headlight bulbs. Just changed interior lights for LED too.

300 mile trip planned for October - so need to check my old roof rails and Kamei 510 roofbox fit okay.

First impressions (in the 30 miles and 78% to 81% test rapid charge) are good. Car feels solid, good quality (missing couple feature my Grand CMax had - rear cabin lights, seat back trays - but nothing significant) and is a bit stupid quick, even in Normal mode!!

#TeamBlack

Eek - just put down a (refundable) deposit under the Affinity scheme so the dealer can start to source an MG5 SR Excite in Dynamic Red...

Bit nervous about it all as even at this price it still costs more than all the vehicles my better half and I have ever owned! Anything we should know before sealing the deal?

But the excitement is winning out at the moment, and a big hello to you all 👋

Bit nervous about it all as even at this price it still costs more than all the vehicles my better half and I have ever owned! Anything we should know before sealing the deal?
Well you must of done some research to get to the deposit stage!

I'm on the affinity scheme and just waiting on delivery, now due next month according to the latest update, joining #teamred
Make sure the paperwork states a Type 2 to Type 2 cable is included within the purchase price and not as an extra.

All I can say is the monthly figure was about what I was looking at after a strong P/X price was factored in.
What doubts are you having?

Hi HoriUK.Welcome ! You’re no different to many of us I reckon. We’ve all enjoyed gurgling gallon after smelly gallon of fuel into various vehicles in our time, trying to convince ourselves that we were getting super mpg and driving the best we could afford at the time.
Then we choke on the decision to sign on the line for this even more expensive piece of mysterious unknown technology. We’ve read all the scare stories, we’ve been chastised by all and sundry for even thinking about being daft enough to venture into this forbidden territory.
But something reminds us to look deeper into the facts and read a few stories from the true believers such as the ladies and gents on platforms like this. Come and join in. You’ll drive it, you’ll fuel it for pennies and fall head over heels in love with true, smooth, controllable driving. You’ll soon be giving lifts to all those non believer.
Aye - I think you’ll like it fine.

Welcome @HoriUK .
It is a big jump into the unknown world of EV's alright.
But I will promise you this, you will NOT regret it.
Depending on your previous usage of fossil fuel, you will be amazed at how cheap the EV is to run.
The only trips I make now to the fossil station, is to run my lawn mower !.

I did indeed do some research, mainly here and avidly watching the podcast (partly why we've given Pilot a miss due to only being warrantied for 36 months) - so thank you all!

I confess I forgot to double check about the cable, I'll do so when they call. I did check that they'll include comfort updates in a service (outwith it'd be £45).

Being geeky I do want to keep a record of how much it costs to run, especially as we're going to be relying on public charging for the foreseeable.

No doubts really, it's just that given that our last car was £600 it's a bit of a jump o_O

No doubts really, it's just that given that our last car was £600 it's a bit of a jump o_O
Yes, a BIG jump in price, but a much bigger jump in car as well.
You know what they say :-
"Go big, or go home".
Well done, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the car and the cost savings you make.

I had never bought a car new and certainly not over 10K.
No regrets what so ever.
Great range and extremely quick.
Enjoy your new purchase.

Hi All from sunny SW France where I now live and am one of the first in the area with a new MG ZS EV. Had it one month and its a delight to own and drive. Never seen another one here but sure that will change very soon. Bientot.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom