Scheduled Charge Failed to Charge.

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I realise that there are multiple ISmart threads.
But I had a specific problem.
Using the ISmart app I scheduled the car to charge during the night in order to utilise my British Gas Electric Car tariff.
The day before yesterday it charged ok.
But last night, it failed to charge.
This despite me checking that the scheduled time had saved. Both on the app and in the car.

Not a massive problem because I will try again tonight.

But I was wondering whether this is a common problem.

Are you using a wall charger or a granny cable?

If using a wall charger only set a charging schedule on either the charger or the iSmart app/car not both otherwise the electronic handshake gets confused and it won't charge.

Another thing to try is if you have a wall charger turn it off at the fuse box for a minute before turning it back on so it reboots.

Check the lights on the charger. If I remember correctly the charging light should be flashing indicating it's ready to charge.
If it isn't, try unlocking the car, wait a minute, and then lock it again.
Please let us know the result, as it helps others with the same problem.

Check the lights on the charger. If I remember correctly the charging light should be flashing indicating it's ready to charge.
If it isn't, try unlocking the car, wait a minute, and then lock it again.
Please let us know the result, as it helps others with the same problem.
Thank you for this. It is pretty much what I did yesterday and last night the scheduled change worked.

What I did was to unlock the car, disconnect and reconnect the charger.
I then sat in the car and checked the in car scheduled charge and reset it.
Then did the same on my phone ISmart app.

Previously, when I set the scheduled charge on my phone, it kept saying that the remote application (or words to that effect) had failed.

I will try again tonight.

I would suggest you set the schedule in the car OR in the app - not in both. (I have a recollection of people having issues when trying to use both concurrently).

I would suggest you set the schedule in the car OR in the app - not in both. (I have a recollection of people having issues when trying to use both concurrently).
Very sensible. Thank you for this.

I did exactly this and it charged as scheduled last night. So the problem must have been down to me. Thank you for your advice which is always welcome.

I'm using my granny charger while I wait for Ohme to fix my tripping wall charger
I'm on BG too so 12-0500 cheap rate
I find when I plug in it starts charging immediately so I stop it in the app and then it reverts to the schedule as it should

I have recently experienced the scheduled charging (wall charger) not working on my MG4, after it had been working fine since getting the car last May.

If I set the scheduled charging in the app, or in the car, it seems to switch on ok for perhaps ten minutes then switches itself off again, resulting in no charge, or only a very small charge overnight.

I have been playing with it this morning, and the problem seems to be something to do with the car. If I force the system to charge, it charges ok for about ten minutes, then it switches off again every time. The charger is a Polar 'dumb' charger which charges my wife's Zoe as expected on scheduled, or forced charging. Renault Zoe's are notoriously fickle when it comes to connecting to chargers, so our wall charger must be working absolutely fine for that car to charge.

Coincidently, while out and about yesterday in the MG, I had the red warning light come on for the 12V battery which has never occurred before, and as I was close to the dealer's workshops, I took it straight there and got someone to look at it without switching off the ignition. They agreed there was a problem as the battery voltage was down to 12.05V, but when we switched off and restarted the car, the 12V battery started charging from the drive battery as usual and went up to 12.9V. The car is booked in for a check-up on April 11th with advice to trickle charge the 12V battery for a few hours which I did yesterday.

I am now wondering if the issue with charging and 12V battery problem yesterday are related in some way.

I am going to take the car to a ultra rapid charger this morning to check if the car charges from that ok, because if it doesn't, it will have to go to the dealers site and be left there until they can sort it, because I will run out of charge in the next 60 miles or so.

There is one other factor that I think may possibly be the root cause this charging issue, a few weeks ago in February I had a software update which has addressed all the issues I previously had with the LKA and laggy screen responses etc. I am now wondering if that update has caused this problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: The car charged perfectly on a Shell Recharge unit, so that's good. As we have some sunshine on the solar panels here at home at the moment, I will plug the car into the granny charger to see if it will charge for longer than 10 mins.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back