Scheduled charging issue

rigby44

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys.

Has anyone had issues with the scheduled charging on the MG app.

We borrowed a Tesla granny charger from a friend and set the app to charge 12-7 overnight - cheap ev rate.

To our frustration we woke up at 9am and the car was still taking charge. This means it’s been charging for 2 hours at 45p/kwh 😫

Any ideas folks?

Hi guys.

We borrowed a Tesla granny charger from a friend and set the app to charge 12-7 overnight - cheap ev rate.

To our frustration we woke up at 9am and the car was still taking charge. This means it’s been charging for 2 hours at 45p/kwh 😫

Any ideas folks?

MG4 Scheduled charging is very flaky, unreliable. If you use the search function you will find many existing threads on this subject

MG4 Scheduled charging is very flaky, unreliable. If you use the search function you will find many existing threads on this subject
Understood, and apols for creating a new thread.

This is the latest ‘cost saving’ measure discovered then. Hopefully the home charger app (install tuesday) is more reliable, else the whole idea of a cheap EV tariff goes out the window.

Understood, and apols for creating a new thread.

This is the latest ‘cost saving’ measure discovered then. Hopefully the home charger app (install tuesday) is more reliable, else the whole idea of a cheap EV tariff goes out the window.
Consensus right now is that the onboard scheduled charging is too unreliable to be useful. Future software update may fix that but don’t hold your breath. Once you get your home charger installed, use the schedule on that and disable the onboard one, that’s the best solution.

Consensus right now is that the onboard scheduled charging is too unreliable to be useful. Future software update may fix that but don’t hold your breath. Once you get your home charger installed, use the schedule on that and disable the onboard one, that’s the best solution.

Thanks, that presumes the app for the charger is more reliable - here’s hoping…

Hi guys.

Any ideas folks?
What tariff are you on with a peak at 45p, Octopus peak has dropped to around 30p?

What tariff are you on with a peak at 45p, Octopus peak has dropped to around 30p?

EON. We’re having a go on it to begin with as we’re already with them and you get the low rate for an extra 3hrs a night with them (12-7). Octopus Go window is too short imo, two more hours would make it a no brainer.

EON. We’re having a go on it to begin with as we’re already with them and you get the low rate for an extra 3hrs a night with them (12-7). Octopus Go window is too short imo, two more hours would make it a no brainer.

What charger are you getting? Also consider how often you will need more than 4 hours cheap charging, you will get 40% + battery gain in 4 hours at home. Are you regularly driving more than 100 miles/day?

What charger are you getting? Also consider how often you will need more than 4 hours cheap charging, you will get 40% + battery gain in 4 hours at home. Are you regularly driving more than 100 miles/day?
Thanks.

Its a Wa Ev charger, so not Octopus Intelligent compliant.

50-60 miles daily. Do you suspect that Octopus Go would still be beneficial then, all things considered? Joining Octopus will also give me £50 account credit too.

Thanks.

Its a Wa Ev charger, so not Octopus Intelligent compliant.

50-60 miles daily. Do you suspect that Octopus Go would still be beneficial then, all things considered? Joining Octopus will also give me £50 account credit too.

So I just looked at my last charge and in 5 hours I added 37.2 kWh, by my reckoning that means in 4 hours I would have added 29.76 kWh - even in winter where I’m getting 3 miles per kWh that’s still ~90 miles added in 4 hours.

My numbers/reckoning may be corrected by others on here who are far more expert than me but you should be fine with 4 hours. I think you would need to consistently be doing a lot more daily miles to benefit from the extended cheap rate and offset the 45 p daytime.

EDIT, I posted a referral link for Octopus but not working, a site restriction perhaps 🤷🏼‍♂️

On board scheduling is very good on the ZS, so why the difference on the 4?

On board scheduling is very good on the ZS, so why the difference on the 4?

You’d have to ask MG 🤷🏼‍♂️ but poorly written software is my assumption.

220vx 32=7Kw. Approx, with phase angle and losses. So 7.4 about right.

Thanks. I’m wondering why people are getting £1,000 charges installed when you can get the same juice from a £100 cable?

External socket installation, clock timer for the socket (overnight charging) is a dam sight cheaper than an installed charger.

However i’m told using a 32a granny puts alot of pressure on the socket - read it’s the same as boiling your kettle constantly. Hence a charger wired to your fuse box is still very much preferable.

Does any of that sound like reality?

Interesting, mine wasnt! Not BRAND new from MG but from a reputable dealer with only test miles on the clock…
That's a bit miserly. AFAIK brand new MG4 should be supplied with cable. In the early days after launch it was coming with a type 2 but I think now they mainly come with granny charger....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back