Scheduled Charging Problem

AlfC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I am away from my normal home charger and trying to use scheduled charging. In the car I have set the charging period for the cheaper rate over night, got out the car, locked it to make sure all power was off, unlocked it to open the flap, plugged in the granny charger, connected to the mains and expected the charger to start flashing green indicating ready to charge but not actually charging. What happens is that it goes steady green and starts charging immediately. I waited a few minutes to see if the schedule would take over, but no, it continued charging as if the schedule had not been set. I tried again repeatedly using altered sequences - connecting to mains before plugging in, but no joy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alf

I am away from my normal home charger and trying to use scheduled charging. In the car I have set the charging period for the cheaper rate over night, got out the car, locked it to make sure all power was off, unlocked it to open the flap, plugged in the granny charger, connected to the mains and expected the charger to start flashing green indicating ready to charge but not actually charging. What happens is that it goes steady green and starts charging immediately. I waited a few minutes to see if the schedule would take over, but no, it continued charging as if the schedule had not been set. I tried again repeatedly using altered sequences - connecting to mains before plugging in, but no joy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alf
Mine does that all the time. I wait for it to start charging and then use the app to stop the charge. The car then follows the schedule. Once it has finished charging I don't open the app as this can often trigger it to start charging again (when I've set the charge limit to 80%). It also has a trick of changing the charge limit sometimes so if I'm charging to 80% it will sometimes change it to 100%. If I'm awake while it's charging, I'll check the app to make sure the charge limit is where I want it.

Mine does that all the time. I wait for it to start charging and then use the app to stop the charge. The car then follows the schedule. Once it has finished charging I don't open the app as this can often trigger it to start charging again (when I've set the charge limit to 80%). It also has a trick of changing the charge limit sometimes so if I'm charging to 80% it will sometimes change it to 100%. If I'm awake while it's charging, I'll check the app to make sure the charge limit is where I want it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Trouble is I don't have a phone signal here so the app doesn't connect at all. Perhaps I could press 'finish charging' in the car and see if the schedule then operates. Will give it a try and report back

Thanks for the suggestion. Trouble is I don't have a phone signal here so the app doesn't connect at all. Perhaps I could press 'finish charging' in the car and see if the schedule then operates. Will give it a try and report back
I've never tried that so I'll be interested to see what you find out.

I've never tried that so I'll be interested to see what you find out.
Well that didn't work. After pressing 'finish charging' it stays finished: the pre-set schedule didn't work and neither did a new schedule set after that. If I unplug, set a new schedule and plug in again, I am back to square one: it just ignores the schedule and charges immediately.
I looks like the scheduled charging function no longer works since the car was serviced a couple of weeks ago and various bits of firmware were updated.

I've similar. I've always found the following works:
Leave car unlocked, plug in and (if necessary) tell charger to start charging, car won't charge as it's unlocked so charger goes into delayed charge mode, lock car and walk away.

I've similar. I've always found the following works:
Leave car unlocked, plug in and (if necessary) tell charger to start charging, car won't charge as it's unlocked so charger goes into delayed charge mode, lock car and walk away.
There's a method I haven't yet tried. I'll have to give it a go!

There's a method I haven't yet tried. I'll have to give it a go!
Mine just starts charging when it's plugged in whether locked or unlocked. I have to 'finish charging' to stop it but it ignores the schedule either way

The car is just outside the house where there is no signal so I assume the car has no signal either. I don't know how to check this though
I have a Trophy and I have an indication of the car's received signal strength, though I could connect to the car when it said the car had no reception. I do wonder that if the SOS green light is on, and not flashing, it means the car has a signal. However, you could try finding a WiFi hotspot to see if you can connect to the car through the app.

I do have wifi but the app refuses to connect to the car and I assumed that was because there was no phone signal. Am I right that the car can't send its status or receive instructions like charging instructions unless it can see a mobile phone signal?

Mine just starts charging when it's plugged in whether locked or unlocked. I have to 'finish charging' to stop it but it ignores the schedule either way
I was pretty sure that mine starts charging whether locked or unlocked too, but I had to check just in case the method worked. It didn't! The car started charging even though unlocked so I had to stop the charge. Hopefully it will follow the schedule tonight.

Am I right that the car can't send its status or receive instructions like charging instructions unless it can see a mobile phone signal?
I believe this was mentioned somewhere on these forums in the last day or so.

I also understood from an MG tech that they have 2 esims. I assume this means if one system in the car has connectivity, then another may not in some circumstances.

The app does connect to the car via its e-sim but failure to connect does not only mean an absence of a mobile signal. It probably is, though, if your phone has no signal. But you could keep trying to obtain a status report from the app in case it is not a mobile signal problem.

You should see the strength of the mobile signal on the top right of the home screen.
Alternatively, set up the car's vehicle hotspot (if you have a Trophy - swipe down the home screen and tap the icon). Log your phone in ( password from Settings screen) and see if you can download from the internet.

I have tried many times to connect via the app but it never works here because of the absence of phone signal. I don't recall seeing a phone signal strength indicator on the home screen and there is certainly nothing at present. Will have to check this when we move off this island.
Setting scheduled charging in the car itself should definitely work though and I think this fault is new since the updates carried out at the service a couple of weeks ago. Will contact the dealer when we get back

I have tried many times to connect via the app but it never works here because of the absence of phone signal. I don't recall seeing a phone signal strength indicator on the home screen and there is certainly nothing at present. Will have to check this when we move off this island.
Setting scheduled charging in the car itself should definitely work though and I think this fault is new since the updates carried out at the service a couple of weeks ago. Will contact the dealer when we get back
The SE doesn't have a strength indicator for some reason.

Just to clarify, by unlocked, I mean still switched on - "with the engine running" in ICE terms.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back