Scheduled charging using granny lead?

Noblapod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Had my mg4 sr for about 3 weeks now and as I am on cheap overnight rate would like to set up scheduled charging. Only have granny lead at present. I can set up the schedule on the ismart app but the car always defaults to immediate charging. Do I have to do something in the car, if so what? Please keep any explanations simple!
Many thanks...Chris

My only advice would be to make sure you press the save button on the app. Is was a bit fussy the first time I tried it. If it’s not playing you can do it on the car screen as well. Press the little cog on the battery screen.

Attachments

• 253A33AF-C4B8-47A1-A454-18307D343928.jpeg
    253A33AF-C4B8-47A1-A454-18307D343928.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 4F236479-1F93-40B4-A15B-DD3E0F08B5DD.jpeg
    4F236479-1F93-40B4-A15B-DD3E0F08B5DD.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 822FF269-55BF-4E1B-99E3-8F04C53F63C8.jpeg
    822FF269-55BF-4E1B-99E3-8F04C53F63C8.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for your prompt help. All set up now, just have to wait till the morning to see if has all worked ok. Slowly learning about this newer technology
Thanks again,
All the best...Chris.

Thanks for your prompt help. All set up now, just have to wait till the morning to see if has all worked ok. Slowly learning about this newer technology
Thanks again,
All the best...Chris.
Hope it works ok. A little trial and error and it gets there. Hope you don’t wait till 2 am to check it like I did 😂😊

That's the bit I don't understand..we know we can set a schedule during the day to test it but somehow in our brain we decide it can wait until overnight...got that t shirt by the way...to check it works ok

I did this for the first time last night. Schedule charging on a granny cable, SE SR. Plugged it in and set to charge at midnight and end at 5am for my cheap rate.

This morning it’s not currently charging and has +20% battery. Looks like it’s all worked as expected for me 🙂

I did this for the first time last night. Schedule charging on a granny cable, SE SR. Plugged it in and set to charge at midnight and end at 5am for my cheap rate.

This morning it’s not currently charging and has +20% battery. Looks like it’s all worked as expected for me 🙂
That’s good to hear it all worked out on the granny cable. I was wondering how that would go. 👍

All worked as expected last night. 5 hours charge time put in 19%. Looks like the app doesn't hold the settings so have to program it each time.
Hard frost this morning so will be using the pre conditioning a bit later.
All the best..Chris.

All worked as expected last night. 5 hours charge time put in 19%. Looks like the app doesn't hold the settings so have to program it each time.
All the best..Chris.
I set the scheduled charge from in the car and that has saved the settings in the app. So if you want to make it a permanent schedule you can just set it in the car once (y)

All the best..Chris.
I have never managed to get the scheduled charging working via the car controls with my Project EV charger. It always starts to charge even outside of scheduled hours. Given you have got it working with a granny charger I'm inclined to believe there is something in the "smart" charging protocols that overrides the car scheduler.

I can see both sides though. If you're out and about and plug into a public charger you don't want the scheduler confusing things. At the same time you could also argue if you set a schedule in the car that it wouldn't ever allow a charge outside of that.

My workaround is not to use the car controls and instead schedule via the Project EV charger. This in itself was a process as the Project EV app is hopeless and I've ended up using the alternative "Electric Miles" app.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back