Scheduled charging

abucksdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So, I have finally persuaded my energy provider to move onto an EV tariff with 5 hours of cheap electricity overnight.
This means it's now in my interest to set a schedule for the car charging.
I have a Podpoint charger, and ZS Trophy Connect LR - so should I use the schedule feature on the car, or on the charger (and why🤣)
I look forward to the responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually set the schedule in the car. However, last night I remembered that I'd changed the start time, so I changed it back on the app. Did it charge on time? Did it heck! Fortunately, when I woke up in the early hours, I happened to check it and started it manually.

Moral of the story for me, always set the schedule in the car. :)
If like me, you usually conduct your charging on a cheaper off peak tariff and have the head unit set up to suit these times.
( Usually midnight to 5 am in my case ).
But if you find it necessary to turn “off” the scheduled charging, when you DO finally turn it back on, it will then automatically default back to a start time of 10.00pm.
So, you therefore have to remember to reset your personal start and finish times if your off peak tariff into the head unit.
Otherwise if you do not pick up this, you will be charging on a much more expensive daily rate tariff !.
Ask me how I know 👎.
Why it does this, I have absolutely no idea 🤷‍♂️.
But it does 😞.

Upvote 0
I find the scheduling by the car is the best with my Podpoint, but I know others on this forum have differing opinions.
You don't think it's worth investing in a charger, to get the job done quicker? Or if you suddenly need a full charge to drive a longer distance?
I have certainly thought about it. Having said that, our monthly mileage is about 300 and so far have not had a problem just using the Granny charger. And now I can charge at night, I will give that a go first.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom