Scheduled Charging

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Following on from my satnav issue which has been solved after following advice here :))), I am having trouble setting up the scheduled charging. There is nothing in the pdf manual about scheduled charging.

I have an Ohme Pro wall charger (which was installed months before I got the car) and have looked at the scheduling page on the Ohme app but of course it doesn't have the option to put in a start time. No use if one's off peak tariff starts at 0030hrs.

The vehicles onboard charging page does in fact have this option - a start time and a finish time. Excellent says I. Unfortunately, it won't work for me. I am sitting in the car, power on and have set the start and finish times and then powered off. Get out, plug in and lock the car (I'm in my driveway). Into the house and grab my phone and open the Ohme app to pause the charge (as Ohme (dumb charger mode with no schedules saved)).

I check back after the car should have accepted the charge (that I setup earlier) and find it is not charging. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? (is there a conflict between the Ohme and the car I wonder.

There are threads about this but I just can't get mine to work!

I would switch off the schedule charge on the car and use the Ohme call them up there very helpful they can even set up the schedule charging there end

@Whiskery This is the better video
Screenshot_20220606_124303.jpg

I hate with a vengance systems that have been set up by some IT idiot, things should be straightforward and intuitive. I have an EO mini pro, under charging options it has off peak charging, solar charging and scheduled charging, simple, straight forward and it works, I dont set the timer in the car. Before this I had a Zappi (type 1), far too complicated. Fron my lessons learned with the Zappi I went for the EO and would recommend to anyone.

The problem is off peak charging is easy even on a dum charger ie with a timer
It's when variable tariffs comes in to play the smart chargers come in to there own when the tariff changes ever 30 mins and sometimes not so much right now you even get paid to charge

Thanks very much guys, I'll try this schedule on the Ohme tonight. I have removed the schedule from the cars own charge page so hopefully it won't conflict. I'll let you all know tomorrow if it has worked OK.

Currently I have a PodPoint Solo charger installed 4 years ago when I bought my first PHEV. There is no facility to set up scheduled charging on the PodPoint but my Ioniq PHEV allows me to set up a charging programme for night time charging on Octopus Go.
This system works well and I had envisaged being able to continue scheduled charging using the iSmart app to set up scheduled charging on my new ZS Trophy EV (ordered December 21) when it arrives.
Having read the above I am now worried that I may need to replace the PodPoint.
My question is, will it be possible to set up scheduled charging on my new Trophy LR using the iSmart app and my non programmeable PodPoint charger, or do I need a new charger?

Currently I have a PodPoint Solo charger installed 4 years ago when I bought my first PHEV. There is no facility to set up scheduled charging on the PodPoint but my Ioniq PHEV allows me to set up a charging programme for night time charging on Octopus Go.
This system works well and I had envisaged being able to continue scheduled charging using the iSmart app to set up scheduled charging on my new ZS Trophy EV (ordered December 21) when it arrives.
Having read the above I am now worried that I may need to replace the PodPoint.
My question is, will it be possible to set up scheduled charging on my new Trophy LR using the iSmart app and my non programmeable PodPoint charger, or do I need a new charger?
Hi jaykew - I've got a PodPoint Solo which I got installed 18 months ago but I use the app and that provides me with the ability to schedule charging and has, with an exception of a day, has worked flawlessly. Does yours not do the same with the app?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi jaykew - I've got a PodPoint Solo which I got installed 18 months ago but I use the app and that provides me with the ability to schedule charging and has, with an exception of a day, has worked flawlessly. Does yours not do the same with the app?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks Bloggsy - unfortunately my charger was installed some years ago and is not provided with the means to obtain an internet connection. It communicates with the car via the charging cable. Until the scheduled time arrives the car refuses to accept a charge and then at the magic hour the car says "OK let's go" and everything starts to happen. This is what I am hoping to do with the new Trophy otherwise I fear it means a new charger.

I don't know about the Trophy mine is the Connect but the app (and in-car screen) does have the option to set a schedule but it didn't work for me. I'm trying tonight with a schedule I've set up with the Ohme based on the recommendations above.

I have a dumb Rolec unit that was installed in 2015.
This unit had NO facility to delay charge our previous Gen1 ZS EV.
Also, the car was unable to set a delayed charge either.
I therefore installed a Wi-Fi relay inside the wall box, that could control the delayed time for charging, from a fee App downloaded on my phone.
This worked great for over two years.
When the new Trophy 🏆 face lift arrived, I removed the Wi-Fi relay from the wall box and then controlled the delayed off peak charging via the settings in the head unit or the ISmart App on my phone.
This has worked fine for almost three months now.
I don’t understand why your wall box should be any different ?.

So the scheduled charge I set up on the Ohme didn't work overnight. <sigh>. Fortunately I had plenty of charge to get into the office this morning and also to get home later.

I'll have to have another look at the settings on both the Ohme and the I-Smart system as I am obviously doing something wrong or there is some form of conflict.

At the very least the satnav is working fine now!!

When the new Trophy 🏆 face lift arrived, I removed the Wi-Fi relay from the wall box and then controlled the delayed off peak charging via the settings in the head unit or the ISmart App on my phone.
This has worked fine for almost three months now.
I don’t understand why your wall box should be any different ?.
Thanks - That is the reassurance I was looking for. Sounds as though I can carry on with my current system of scheduled charging when the Trophy finally gets here.

A couple of thing to check
schedule chargers switched off on car.

You have the right tariff set up ohme double check the off peak time and price is right on ohme

Check you have set ohme for right days.

There is a out side chance if you use a ethernet cable Extenders that run on your plugs in house it's been known to cause conflict ( if your car chargers on over ride mode max charge ie red screen this is not affecting you)

Can you not turn off ALL of the scheduled smart charging facilities on the OMHE ( making it a dumb unit ) then set the scheduled charging settings in the head unit of the car only ?.
I would favour using the settings in head unit over the App myself.
As my wall box is one of the older type dumb Rolec units, I found using the info unit in the car works absolutely fine !.
I have set the charging to commence, five minutes after the cheaper “Off Peak” commences at 1.00am ( just to be sure ) and then set the off time to end five minutes before it is due to switch over to the more expensive day rate at 6.00am.
Also because we have the LR model, I can slide the percentage of charge bar over to 80%.
Doing this will ensure that the car will either charge to 80% then turn of the wall box, or will stop the charge regardless, before the expensive day rate commences.
I want to avoid charging on the expensive day rate tariff at ALL costs really due to the high price of day rate rates.
We have endeavoured to slide as much of our usage into that 5 hour cheaper rate tariff.
Anything with a timer function ( washing machine / emersion heater etc ) are all bumped into that 5 hour window.
Hope this makes some sense ?.

This is why I am happy with my fixed charging tariff any time of day 5p just plug in a charge especially as I am normally at work when when off peak is active

Don't get to excited it's for charging only!
Ovo charge the full price then refund what you use for charging so it works out at 5p
There is only 2 chargers you can use one of them is ohme

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom