Scottish members- where are you?

I did it in August. Fantastic scenery. Great trip.

We did it in a very fast way just to see if it could be done. So we did it in 3 days with only 2 overnights. The South West corner around Torridon/Applecross WAS a challenge.

As a pedant, I've got my distance calculations for charging points on a spreadsheet somewhere.

Boring - me? Never!!!!

Here's what I sent to Highland Council immediately after the NC500 drive as an "audit" of their infrastructure!!

Achnasheen - Installed but not yet commissioned.

Torridon - as feared the old ABB unit was highly temperamental and the CCS Rapid charge does not work but i was provided an AC charge only after fully 20 minutes by the ChargePlace operator.

Gairloch - CCS charge Excellent

Ullapool Ferry - CCS charge Excellent

Lochinver - CCS charge Excellent

Scourie - Would not connect to CSS or AC, appeared to work and then dropped out.

Durness - Installed but not yet commissioned.

Bettyhill - CCS Rapid charge did not work but got an AC charge only following ChargePlace operator assistance.

Thurso, Park Hotel - CCS charge excellent

Helmsdale - No CCS or AC charge. Operator stated that she could not communicate with the unit and could not provide any assistance. I had 24 miles range and was advised to go back to Wick (35 miles) or down to Dornoch (27 miles). YOU SEE MY PREDICAMENT! I had to get a local workman to give me a 13 amp charge for 90 minutes to provide me with about 8 miles addition to my range, and I had a very nerve-racking drive down a busy A9 hoping I would make it. We did, with only 4 miles left in my range!

Dornoch Meadows - CCS charge Excellent

Well I’d love to try it. but one step at a time - lets get through lockdown. It would be good to arrange a meet up.

I did it in August. Fantastic scenery. Great trip.

We did it in a very fast way just to see if it could be done. So we did it in 3 days with only 2 overnights. The South West corner around Torridon/Applecross WAS a challenge.

As a pedant, I've got my distance calculations for charging points on a spreadsheet somewhere.

Boring - me? Never!!!!
Please do share.

OK - you asked for it!!

I had to do the Applecross loop anti-clockwise via Torridon, so as I would get back to Gairloch via Torridon. I was worried if I went straight to Applecross, I wouldn't make it and I think I was right!

The only other disaster was the charger at Helmsdale was totally useless and I had 24 miles range. It was 35 miles back to Wick and 28 miles to Dornoch!!! So I had to take a granny charge from a helpful worksite with a 3 pin plug and gained the sufficient range to get to Dornoch.

Attachments

• NC500 plan.pdf
    167.4 KB · Views: 166
I’d love to do North Coast 500 in my ZS. I know that it would be a challenge but a great adventure I think 🙂. Absolutely beautiful country.
Me too, but a long way from Essex. More confident when I had the Discovery though.

Anyone got any plans they have used for the trip i.e. stop off points, B&B and if done in an EV charging points used.

There is Youtube video from The EVMan but I think he did in an ICE.

OK - you asked for it!!

I had to do the Applecross loop anti-clockwise via Torridon, so as I would get back to Gairloch via Torridon. I was worried if I went straight to Applecross, I wouldn't make it and I think I was right!

The only other disaster was the charger at Helmsdale was totally useless and I had 24 miles range. It was 35 miles back to Wick and 28 miles to Dornoch!!! So I had to take a granny charge from a helpful worksite with a 3 pin plug and gained the sufficient range to get to Dornoch.
Hi Dave
You got in there before I could type quick enough. Any more details for stop overs we planned to take a week for the round trip.

EV Man (plus mate) does the NC500 plus an extra loop taking in Stirling in a Kia Soul EV. He has no problems with charging and does not use destination chargers just the public charging network.

Maybe the extra range of the Soul over the MG helped....who knows.

Definitely want to give it a go in the future.

A convoy - but that might make charging difficult...

During the summer it would be difficult as although there are enough chargers they will be used a lot and you really dont want to wait for somebody charging for 8 hrs.

@Richie
A week is a far better idea. We were too rushed.

All - Please let's not do it as a convoy - can you imagine the mayhem when we all arrive at each charging point!!!!!
I guess we won't actually have that many cars. But we don't all have to all charge at the same time or location. I could get MG involved to support the charity run?
Are there any dealers on route?

I guess we won't actually have that many cars. But we don't all have to all charge at the same time or location. I could get MG involved to support the charity run?
Are there any dealers on route?
Very little up there let alone dealers. I have driven all the roads on the 500 before it was called that and it used to be a pleasure to drive but now with all the folks under the sun going up there in Ferarri's and such it seems like hell to me. A lot of the roads are single track with passing places and most folks dont have a clue about the etiquette and drive like lunatics. The road is full of camper vans and your average speed will be very low as difficult to pass them.

Hi just joined the EV community I'm in Perth got my ZS EV in March 2020 really enjoying it but my wife is not convinced she has range anxiety!!

Very little up there let alone dealers. I have driven all the roads on the 500 before it was called that and it used to be a pleasure to drive but now with all the folks under the sun going up there in Ferarri's and such it seems like hell to me. A lot of the roads are single track with passing places and most folks dont have a clue about the etiquette and drive like lunatics. The road is full of camper vans and your average speed will be very low as difficult to pass them.
Oh, goodness that's a bit off putting. Still the same can be said of the Lake District or Cornwall even here around Dedham so many Constable tourists. Southend on sea can be overrun even with idiot's in lockdown.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom