ScottishPower EV Tariff using granny charging only?

Mennox

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi,

My XPower is being delivered next week and was just wondering if you need to have a home charger installed to move to an EV tariff or can you still move to this tariff with granny charging only?

When I click on 'Get a Quote' on their EV Saver tariff, it gets me to log in again (via email) but doesnt show me an EV quote. I have spoken to customer service via the chat function but apparantly they cant provide offers but to contact the EV Team (they are closed until tomorrow).

So just wanted to know if anyone else was successful in moving to an EV tariff?

You don't (usually*) have to have a wall box to get an EV tariff. However it doesn't really make much sense otherwise - the charge rate using a granny lead is too slow for the power added during the "cheap" period to be meaningful.

* Unless said tariff requires integration with the smart wall box.

It surely depends in part on what the daytime tariff is though. I don't know the answer to any of this because my Scottish Power app has locked me out and won't accept a password reset, and I really need to phone them.

So if anyone has the info on how long the cheap period is, and what the two different tariffs are, could you post it?

If you have 6 hours of cheap rate, and the granny charges at 2kW, then you'll charge 12 kWh at best during that period. For the XPower that would be about 19.5% SoC, or 36 miles at 3 miles/kWh, 48 miles at 4 miles/kWh. If you only usually do 30 miles per day then it may be OK.

But as said above, it also depends on what the day tariff is, and whether you can / are willing to transfer other usage (washing machine, tumble dryer etc.) to that cheap period too.

If you have 6 hours of cheap rate, and the granny charges at 2kW, then you'll charge 12 kWh at best during that period. For the XPower that would be about 19.5% SoC, or 36 miles at 3 miles/kWh, 48 miles at 4 miles/kWh. If you only usually do 30 miles per day then it may be OK.

But as said above, it also depends on what the day tariff is, and whether you can / are willing to transfer other usage (washing machine, tumble dryer etc.) to that cheap period too.
I will be lucky if I do that...I've been averaging about 300 miles a month in my ICE, though I expect this to increase for the first couple of months as I will want to go out in my XPower :)

Oh boy, are you going to want to go out in your X-Power!!! And I wouldn't limit that to a couple of months either. Even the SE is so great to drive I'm volunteering to drive everywhere and thinking of excuses to take the car out.

But you have to work it out. If you can charge the car for six hours, well that would give me 20% of battery on the SR, which is 10 KWh, could maybe to 12 as @siteguru says. If you can also do the dishwasher and the washing machine at that time, maybe the tumble drier if you use one, it could still be worth it even if you have to charge the car for some time at the daytime rate. Depends what the two rates actually are.

If you are buying an Xpower over a standard MG4 then I guess you are seeking a bit more power and excitement on your drive !.
Then battery consumption is going to be higher of course if you drive the car as intended.
Otherwise a standard MG4 would have done the job.
If not, what is the point of buying an Xpower in the first place - right ??.
Charging from a Granny is only going to add about 12 miles of range for every hour on change.
Frankly, you are going to struggle maximising the limited hours of an off peak rate at that rate of charging speed.
Is that going to fit in with your daily requirements regarding range ???.
Honestly, a wall box is a much better option all round.

I reckon maybe seven miles per hour, although it could be a bit more.

I have wondered about variable tariff, but my hunch has been that it's probably not worth it. I'm probably going to go the whole solar/home battery route.

Oh boy, are you going to want to go out in your X-Power!!! And I wouldn't limit that to a couple of months either. Even the SE is so great to drive I'm volunteering to drive everywhere and thinking of excuses to take the car out.

But you have to work it out. If you can charge the car for six hours, well that would give me 20% of battery on the SR, which is 10 KWh, could maybe to 12 as @siteguru says. If you can also do the dishwasher and the washing machine at that time, maybe the tumble drier if you use one, it could still be worth it even if you have to charge the car for some time at the daytime rate. Depends what the two rates actually are.
I have a feeling I will certainly not lose the feeling after a couple of months :D

I tend to not go out after 7-8pm on an evening so will likely get 12 hours charge overnight which works for me...unfortunately we tend not to run the washer/tumbler after 12am so not one to include....even if I save £1.50-2 per 12 hours by having the 12-5am EV tariff, then it's still a small saving...much cheaper than running my current BMW E60 diesel anyways haha

If you are buying an Xpower over a standard MG4 then I guess you are seeking a bit more power and excitement on your drive !.
Then battery consumption is going to be higher of course if you drive the car as intended.
Otherwise a standard MG4 would have done the job.
If not, what is the point of buying an Xpower in the first place - right ??.
Charging from a Granny is only going to add about 12 miles of range for every hour on change.
Frankly, you are going to struggle maximising the limited hours of an off peak rate at that rate of charging speed.
Is that going to fit in with your daily requirements regarding range ???.
Honestly, a wall box is a much better option all round.
Yes, primarly the reason I bought the XPower was for the power and excitement :)

I dont do many motorway miles, and tend to do more door to door (with some dual carriageways in the mix) so I will get use out of the car....my current lifestyle suits being able to granny charge, with the aim to instal a driveway with charging point in the not so very near future

Hi,

My XPower is being delivered next week and was just wondering if you need to have a home charger installed to move to an EV tariff or can you still move to this tariff with granny charging only?

When I click on 'Get a Quote' on their EV Saver tariff, it gets me to log in again (via email) but doesnt show me an EV quote. I have spoken to customer service via the chat function but apparantly they cant provide offers but to contact the EV Team (they are closed until tomorrow).

So just wanted to know if anyone else was successful in moving to an EV tariff?
Generally when you switch you have to go on the standard variable tariff until they can check they are getting smart meter readings. Then they can switch to a time of day tariff.

Well spoke to their EV charger install team and they did confirm I would need to be on a standard tariff and charger connected for 30 days before offered an EV tariff. However, he did say it was wall charger only and not granny charger, though I am doubtful about that so have moved back to the standard tariff and if it doesnt work, will likely switch over to Octopus.

Well spoke to their EV charger install team and they did confirm I would need to be on a standard tariff and charger connected for 30 days before offered an EV tariff. However, he did say it was wall charger only and not granny charger, though I am doubtful about that so have moved back to the standard tariff and if it doesnt work, will likely switch over to Octopus.
I've recently moved to Eon Next Drive. 7 hours off peak 9.5p/kWh, and was not asked for proof that I even owned an EV or wallbox. I mostly charge on the granny charger anyway.

I've recently moved to Eon Next Drive. 7 hours off peak 9.5p/kWh, and was not asked for proof that I even owned an EV or wallbox. I mostly charge on the granny charger anyway.
I will see if within the next month ScottishPower's system (as they cant provide me with a tariff manually) will offer me one after my car is charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom