Scraping Noise When Using ACC/Traffic Jam Assist

IanSS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have had my SE LR just over 6 months and been using ACC/traffic jam assist throughout that time with no issues. Over the last few weeks it has developed a scraping noise when the car is braking with either activated. Only seems to happen the first or second time the car brakes and then is fine. If I use normal braking I can't replicate it so don't think it's an issue there but not sure what else it could be. Anyone else had a similar issue or have any ideas what may be causing it? Have started cancelling ACC when approaching traffic to avoid it happening and will bring it up when the car is due it's first service in a couple of months. Thanks

That sounds like the brake pads not coming fully off. Using ACC uses the manual brakes to slow, rather than regeneration.

That sounds like the brake pads not coming fully off. Using ACC uses the manual brakes to slow, rather than regeneration.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry should have mentioned it's happening when it applies the brakes. And not when they come off. As I do a lot of motorway miles my last ice car was prone to the discs not being that clean and the pads scraping on them for a short while if the car hasn't been used for a few days. This scraping noise is very different and more noticeable sound to that.

I get the same occassionally when I use MG Pilot (which is most of the time). As peterseddon said above, it seems to be part of the automatic braking system coming alive.

I have had this a few times on my LR Trophy, I put this down to the ABS priming for an emergency stop as it does seem to break late sometimes. Possibly changing the Emergency auto break to low sensitivity might help...

I have also had this though in my wifes MX-30 while using Mazdas smart city cruise control, so its probably just fown to how the cars react to the car in front breaking. If the car in front breaks hard then I guess the car has to prime for a ln emergency stop. Better to be ready than to go into the back of the car in front.

Like @Tim Green said, Gen1 had a sound all the time when using MG Pilot and used to happen only when car is coming to complete standstill. In one of the podcasts it was discussed as normal and ABS related.
@IanSS , can you attach sound recording?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom