Scratches on MG5 shiny black plastic

tonymc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anyone else managed to scratch the gloss black plastic around the infotainment screen, I gave it a wipe with a cloth and it seems to be quite badly scratched.

I had the same on a 2008 Mondeo anything I did made it worse, unfortunately I never did find an answer.

I really find it odd that in 2021 manufacturers are still putting easily scratched materials in the cabin, what do they think is going to happen?
I've had my 5 less than 48 hours and I have managed to get a scratch on mine. Not best pleased

I put sticky backed velvet on mine. I found the reflections off it very distracting.

Never wipe down shiny plastics in a car with a dry "cloth".
Always use a lubricant combined with a microfibre towel.
(This lubricant may also be just water)
The lubricant let's dust roll deep into the microfibre towel , whilst a dry microfibre towel will let the dust particle grind between the shiny surface and the towel.

My ZS came with these scratches as a free gift, courtesy of the dealer. Along with those on the external paintwork :mad:

I think you can purchase screen protectors for the screen (just like a mobile phone), although in my view they look pretty ugly. I think I'd prefer a scratch!

I was interested in Makia2020’s reply. Vinyl wrap is completely new to me - what make of wrap would you use and how would you do lt?

I will vinyl wrap mine when it arrives. Then just peel off when you sell/return and good as new.
I was thinking some sort of carbon fibre effect wrap to make it match in with the dashboard trim. Will add it to my long list of things I may do .......

I was interested in Makia2020’s reply. Vinyl wrap is completely new to me - what make of wrap would you use and how would you do lt?
Any of the standard 3m wraps available froma reputable supplier. Please note that a number on Amazon/eBay are fake so potentially less durable. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply.

Anyone else managed to scratch the gloss black plastic around the infotainment screen, I gave it a wipe with a cloth and it seems to be quite badly scratched.
Also on the external black ‘fin’ on the boot scratches easily on the SE

I have scratches on the console plastic around the 'forward/reverse/park' selector that look to be caused by the zip from a coat... my thoughts were to see a vinyl wrapping shop should I decide to sell...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom