Seat and steering wheel heating stopped working. Resolved.

Vingnut

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
As the header says my seat and steering wheel heating have stopped working on my Luxury/Trophy phase 1, have anyone else had this happen to them?

Resolved.
The fix was a new seatframe with new wiring harnes and new electric motors for the seat adjusment. Note that the fuse for this is a special delayed one and is not a Japan fuse albeit it's look a lot like one. More info about this further down in the thread.

Last edited:
I could swear I saw and responded to this message before... anyway if fuses don't work try disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V battery to reset the car and if that doesn't work call your dealer.

I could swear I saw and responded to this message before... anyway if fuses don't work try disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V battery to reset the car and if that doesn't work call your dealer.
You did in the MG4 Software Update Thread
Not sure if this has happend because of the upgrade to R46 or not, but my heated seats and heated steering wheel have stoped working. I'm sure it was working after the upgrade but now it's not. Very anoying to find out when making ready for a 1400km (870mile) week long road trip in chilly Norway. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thought about checking the fuse but not sure where it's located (inside or under the bonnet).

Suggest fuse check (manual has details), reboot the car (12V battery disconnect/ reconnect), if still not working approach dealer.

As the fuses I'm after are in the less accsessible interior fusebox which I wish to leave unharmed for now. My take is that the car is new and stuff like this is covered by the warranty, so I do not want to pry off the cover for the interior fusebox (what a stupid way MG did that access) so it's off to the dealer Monday.
Another thing if it's the fuses that have gone wrong, why is it so in a brand new car? (I want it registered for possible future problems).

As far I can recollect the fuse chart does not show the seat heating fuse, only steering wheel heat fuse. So that's a bummer too.

The reason I put this up in a separate post in addision to the other one is to make the issue seperate and searchable for others in the future as whatever the solution is going to be I will be posting it here.

Also got a new issue as the driver electric seat adjustment died to this week. Luckily in my driving position.

Fuses that are listed for these issues in the internal fusebox are:
F4: Heated steering wheel.
Maybe this fuse also supplys heated seats? If so the fuse chart should be updated.

F11: Driver seat control module, driver seat adjustment switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the header says my seat and steering wheel heating have stopped working on my Luxury/Trophy phase 1, have anyone else had this happen to them?
Perhaps its seasonal, as an economy feature they are turned off in summer, and you have had the software for the southern hemisphere downloaded?:cool:

The more electric rubbish you have the more potential for something to go wrong.

The more electric rubbish you have the more potential for something to go wrong.
Yeah, but this is the same as ice cars have had for donkys years. The electric seat adjustment is the one that make me a bit on the edge, I hardly ever use it and stil it`s gone bad. Lets hope it`s just some bad china fuses and not a bad china car.

Electric seat would put me on edge because there is no manual back up.The KISS method is always the best.

Update:
Car not fixed. The fuses are blown, dealership do not have the fuses as they are special and they have never came across the type before.
Now the waiting game is on.

Worrying given fuses don't tend to blow without an underlying cause...unless the fuses were of poor quality to start with but somehow I would expect more reports accordingly. 🤞

Fuses? Which ones? afaics from the circuit diagrams everything goes through F11 which is a 30 amp fuse - pretty hefty!

No idea why MG went with these tri-connector fuses, first time I've seen them too.

Hmmmm... the question is always 'what caused them to blow'? Although most garages will just replace them and give you the car back, I do hanker after proper diagnostic technicians that can investigate these kinds of electrical problems thoroughly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back